Perdana v6 : Road to 300whp.... and beyond

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You can add on into the gear box? Mine have to change the gear box. Got one time was offered one with LSD but could not find the drive shaft. It was slightly thicker than my original ones.....

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
You can add on into the gear box? Mine have to change the gear box. Got one time was offered one with LSD but could not find the drive shaft. It was slightly thicker than my original ones.....
for my e3 gbox, yes, u can add lsd by replacing final gear...while doing that, open up and check other gear 'teeth'...good to know everything is well even previous jap owner use it 1xxk mileage on it.

which driveshaft you couldnt find?right side?

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-01 at 16.34.45.jpeg

Reactions: ^pomen_GTR^

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
back again onto drawing board..hoping to gain around 80whp this time from last dyno run...

sorted out other engine mod..car will remain street usage and one or twice sepang/drag..

knowing that evo3 turbo support up to 365-385hp planning to go for td05-16g evo3 with ball bearing and rebuild internal.. cost around trade-in current turbo + ~rm2k..

worth it ke?

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
back again onto drawing board..hoping to gain around 80whp this time from last dyno run...

sorted out other engine mod..car will remain street usage and one or twice sepang/drag..

knowing that evo3 turbo support up to 365-385hp planning to go for td05-16g evo3 with ball bearing and rebuild internal.. cost around trade-in current turbo + ~rm2k..

worth it ke?
Where'd you get a TD05 with ball bearing? If you're aiming for such high power, I'd suggest you to look for other turbos, maybe a Garrett or something, instead of the TD05 series. Also do you plan to rev really high to get your HP target? What exactly is your HP target?

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Where'd you get a TD05 with ball bearing? If you're aiming for such high power, I'd suggest you to look for other turbos, maybe a Garrett or something, instead of the TD05 series. Also do you plan to rev really high to get your HP target? What exactly is your HP target?
klg auto has it..and heard tong turbo too, haven't go there yet to confirm.

not that high,fwd with perdana body...hahaha..around 320-350whp region on mainline dyno..for now, planning to stay with td05-16g with enhancement..

engine internal wont be stock either..

not going to rev high either. under 7k should be good.

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
klg auto has it..and heard tong turbo too, haven't go there yet to confirm.

not that high,fwd with perdana body...hahaha..around 320-350whp region on mainline dyno..for now, planning to stay with td05-16g with enhancement..

engine internal wont be stock either..

not going to rev high either. under 7k should be good.
Wow, sounds like some custom turbo kot. Why not just go for other aftermarket turbos straight like a Garrett GT28 or something?

If you're not increasing the redline, estimating if your peak HP is around 6500-7000rpm, you'd need to be boosting close to 2 bar of boost to get 350hp on a mainline though.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Wow, sounds like some custom turbo kot. Why not just go for other aftermarket turbos straight like a Garrett GT28 or something?

If you're not increasing the redline, estimating if your peak HP is around 6500-7000rpm, you'd need to be boosting close to 2 bar of boost to get 350hp on a mainline though.
that is big turbo...td05-20g should suffice i suppose? with 20g , it would be difficult to maintain high speed cruise as it has more kick at higher rev..hahaha

not increasing redline but probably use adjustable cam and oversize 1.5mm piston, etc.

2bar is alot..td05 efficiency is around 1.5bar :smokin:

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
that is big turbo...td05-20g should suffice i suppose? with 20g , it would be difficult to maintain high speed cruise as it has more kick at higher rev..hahaha

not increasing redline but probably use adjustable cam and oversize 1.5mm piston, etc.

2bar is alot..td05 efficiency is around 1.5bar :smokin:
well, the theoretical amount of power you will get out of your engine can be easily calculated based on the CC, RPM @ peak hp and boost amount. Since you're not revving that high, to get that power level you'd need to push more torque at lower RPM, and to do that you need more boost, and given your engine parameters, you'd need about 1.8-2 bar of boost to get 320-350whp on a dyno, that also depends what dyno you're using. Pushing 320-350whp means you'll be pushing around 400 crank HP. In the end also it depends on the turbo you choose and a turbo like a GT28 I don't think is too big for a 2.0L engine.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
well, the theoretical amount of power you will get out of your engine can be easily calculated based on the CC, RPM @ peak hp and boost amount. Since you're not revving that high, to get that power level you'd need to push more torque at lower RPM, and to do that you need more boost, and given your engine parameters, you'd need about 1.8-2 bar of boost to get 320-350whp on a dyno, that also depends what dyno you're using. Pushing 320-350whp means you'll be pushing around 400 crank HP. In the end also it depends on the turbo you choose and a turbo like a GT28 I don't think is too big for a 2.0L engine.
looking at gt28..which spec are u refering to ? rs?

going gt28 probably i need internal forge eh?.. using td05 i can stay within same category during drag...haha

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
looking at gt28..which spec are u refering to ? rs?

going gt28 probably i need internal forge eh?.. using td05 i can stay within same category during drag...haha
Well I don't have anything specific in mind, just giving an example why not go slightly larger than a TD05 and something more modern since the TD05 is a very old design. Need to look at the compressor map for the turbo and calculate see which turbo will be the best match with your power level and rpm. When you will need to change to forged internals, that depends. Even with a TD05 with enough boost, you'd probably might need forged internals as well. Got drag category what turbo you using punya merr?

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Well I don't have anything specific in mind, just giving an example why not go slightly larger than a TD05 and something more modern since the TD05 is a very old design. Need to look at the compressor map for the turbo and calculate see which turbo will be the best match with your power level and rpm. When you will need to change to forged internals, that depends. Even with a TD05 with enough boost, you'd probably might need forged internals as well. Got drag category what turbo you using punya merr?
td05 turbo i can stay in oem category...else i can only join open category..btw this is drag in car club, not the open drag competition(side betting )..hahaha

yeah...td05 is pretty old..there's frp gt28 at klg auto..probably one of this day i drop by tong turbo see what choices are there.

abit overkill if i go forge internals <<-- (refering to aftermarket item..not 1jz etc..). probably i go first with stock turbo after rebuild engine..haha

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Here are some new update..

Apparently 2nd stage started earlier..which is good because im facing 'crankwalk' and past week, it seems like my engine 'makan minyak'..at this point im out of EO to topup so decided to send in for rebuild.

this is 2nd time engine being strip..1st time after purchase, the engine was at 11xk km, doing top overhaul, this is 2nd time for rebuild after 3xk on the road...

intake port...soon will go through stage1 PnP...97 fuel contain food coloring?..haha

inspecting the head..everything is fine and in order..using good EO pays off

off with the head...suprisingly less carbon buildup and quite clean compare to those used piston selling at mudah/fb group.

Now the short block/bottom part..honestly, abit kecewa not getting jackpot like our friend nightstalker..hahaha..

This is crank walk, eating the main bearing away, one side thick, another side thin and sharp as knife.

affecting other section too

took out the conrod and piston. luckily, conrod bearing still intact and didn't turn/shift..conrod still straight and no bend...at first glance all 4 piston and its ring looks fine

after wipe off the oil, i found out the cause of engine 'makan minyak'. Piston 1,2,3 had its ring land crack

but piston 3 damaged the worse, chipped off while wiping off the oil from piston

the cause for ring land to crack?
i suspect metal fatigue. car has been driven by jap owner for 11xk, once i plug in my perdana and play with it, another 3xkm. probably previous owner didnt do any overhaul.

or

upper ring land crack is not due to engine oil, it is because of fuel. looking at the piston picture, fuel supply should be suffice. probably recent week it started to fail .

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The SLC has been caught testing before, specifically hot weather testing in the Californian Death Valley and what you see here are images of the SLC Mule during winter testing.

If you’re thinking that it looks like a Dodge Viper, well, don’t be fooled, it is only a camouflage, the top of the line Mercedes AMG will...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience