Next Car to Buy

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
because he seems like curvy road instead of straight line... :biggrin: :driver:
Exactly ! Power can be easily modified with the correct engine. Handling is something the car possesses and the other cars can't have the same handling.

If buying a spare car, why buy new? It depreciates whether you use it or not, unless use new car, downgrade one of the old car as spare car......lol :biggrin:
LOL, my last tested 3 cars are used cars. However you know lo, get from dealers are like playing cards. Any kang tao ?

Have you looked at E60? Plenty of space, impressive handling & road feedback for a rather big car... Check out the LCI and make sure it's CKD because the CKD models have a hot weather package.

If you don't like the 325i cuz of it's power, go check out the 530i cuz it has bout 270hp BUT they are pretty rare.
Tested a 525i, love the power and handling, too bad the unit i tested requires too much of repair bills. :(

Third car? A spare car? Perodua Axia USED
Cheap to buy, cheap to run, easy to maintain. And all the ones you buy used still under warranty.

For a spare car that will see only occasional use. I don’t see why you need it to be so nice to drive, so powerful. It just needs to be no problem.

EDIT: Or alternatively, Lotus Elise. Toyota engine, easy to maintain, not much problem. And you probably don’t want to drive it everyday. Handles better than 99% of the cars out there.
LOL Lotus Elise, not my taste so thanks for the suggestion.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Dear All,

I am writing this thread to get some recommendations of what cars to consider, my budget is MYR120,000. Currently i already owned 2 cars, have been reliable, just occasionally needed minor repairs. Needed a 3rd car because we need 1 more car for spare, just in case both my dailies went into garage because my GF also drives mine.
3rd car is mostly driven to work and long distance. It's meant to be replacing my E46 coupe as workhorse for my GF, meanwhile my Lancer still up for the job for myself.

VW Jetta is awesome buy, DSG mechatronic problems seem to be solved for now. And the new model (so called) looks very impressive inside and out. Going to test drive it tomorrow and i will share my report here.

Thanks,
Ken
Your initial post and your following post contradicts yourself. What are you actually looking for? A spare car or a daily driver?

From what I can see you're not looking for a 3rd car, you're looking for a daily driver.

And what is important to you? You said power, handling.

Forget about the E90 325i, 212bhp? Sad. I'd recommend the E90 320d or F30 320d, and then add a BMW Performance Power Kit, tune it, you'll hit 200bhp on wheel and lots of torque. Easy on fuel economy too versus the 325i N/A.

My friend bought a used E90 320D M-Sport non-iDrive model. He's still a happy man today. Even with his manic driving (pedal to metal all the time), he does 700km on a full tank easy. The LCi E90 has all the problems ironed out, and that 2L diesel engine is bulletproof -- timing chain issues solved on MY models.

Jetta is a drama waiting to happen. Another friend happily bought a pre-reg 2016 Passat saying that the DSG problems are solved. Guess what? His car just went in for mechatronic replacement last month.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Your initial post and your following post contradicts yourself. What are you actually looking for? A spare car or a daily driver?

From what I can see you're not looking for a 3rd car, you're looking for a daily driver.

And what is important to you? You said power, handling.

Forget about the E90 325i, 212bhp? Sad. I'd recommend the E90 320d or F30 320d, and then add a BMW Performance Power Kit, tune it, you'll hit 200bhp on wheel and lots of torque. Easy on fuel economy too versus the 325i N/A.

My friend bought a used E90 320D M-Sport non-iDrive model. He's still a happy man today. Even with his manic driving (pedal to metal all the time), he does 700km on a full tank easy. The LCi E90 has all the problems ironed out, and that 2L diesel engine is bulletproof -- timing chain issues solved on MY models.

Jetta is a drama waiting to happen. Another friend happily bought a pre-reg 2016 Passat saying that the DSG problems are solved. Guess what? His car just went in for mechatronic replacement last month.
Such a shocking news, i feel sorry for your friend's case and his Passat. Anyway just to let you know, i am currently car pooling with my GF, so one of my rides are squatting most of the time at hse and at most weekend drive only. So now we both just got new jobs that requires 2 cars to be driven out, i am looking for a third car into the addition just in case one of our rides suddenly need to go into garage for repairs. That's the issue i am having now and my Lancer just due for a water pump change and we are both sharing a car right now and sometimes i need to go outstation that left her with no transportation except for her to call UBER or Grab to travel for work. Thats why i need a 3rd car for this sort of event. I don't have to necessary drive it everyday, as long as it fits my checklists then its fine and sorry to tell, i still dislike diesel's engine noise.

I have tested Jetta and the car rides horrible, like a motorboat. Tested Ford Focus 1.5T, very good noise insulation and much better handling. Price is also fits my bill, i am seriously considering it. The next one to try is a used BMW F30 320i sport which priced at 120k range. I am expecting some discounts on that.

Thanks,
Ken

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
No brainer then, the BMW F30 320i Sport. Chip tune it and massive win. Just don't snap the drive shaft lol.

Jetta is actually stupid powerful for what it is. That DSG is just crisp and fast, and the power delivery is madness. I almost bought one *phew*.

I'd avoid Ford here because SDAC is crap.. you'll get headaches down the road.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
LOL, not too practical bro, unless its a GTA. But can't really get loan for this kind of cars, at most 3 or 2 years MAX. Of course i would love to drive one.

Thanks,
Ken
Evo & WRX should be best enjoyed in manual. Then buy Impreza WRX V10 but manual version. Or get Suzuki Swift Sport ZC32, should be well within your budget, much newer car, fun to trash around with great handling and good performance (might even surprise some who drive those bigger and more powerful cars like in your list), fuel efficient & cheaper/easy to maintain. You can get 2013-2014 cars for just below rm60k so you can save half of your budget for more important things.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
ii)mark x

Mark X? Never check that one before, which model will it be ?

Thanks,
Ken
Mark X is a good car but considering that you find 325i E90 is gutless, then I'd think you'd feel similar about Mark X. Well it is after all just another normal sedan so cannot expect much oomph from it, but it's a very reliable car with still decent performance to easily outrun the typical Camry/Accord/Mazda 6/Teana/Passat plus good FC too (if in good condition). The good one is actually the first gen version (2004-2009 GRX120) which was slightly more powerful and lighter than the newer model (GRX130).

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
No brainer then, the BMW F30 320i Sport. Chip tune it and massive win. Just don't snap the drive shaft lol.

Jetta is actually stupid powerful for what it is. That DSG is just crisp and fast, and the power delivery is madness. I almost bought one *phew*.

I'd avoid Ford here because SDAC is crap.. you'll get headaches down the road.
Good suggestion BMW 320i Sport, i will be test driving one tomorrow. Let you all know the results.

Jetta power delivery is very good, however just as you told me, i better avoid it.

To be bad for Ford, SDAC quite notorious for its services. But plenty of Ford cars on the road especially Kuga.

Mark X is a good car but considering that you find 325i E90 is gutless, then I'd think you'd feel similar about Mark X. Well it is after all just another normal sedan so cannot expect much oomph from it, but it's a very reliable car with still decent performance to easily outrun the typical Camry/Accord/Mazda 6/Teana/Passat plus good FC too (if in good condition). The good one is actually the first gen version (2004-2009 GRX120) which was slightly more powerful and lighter than the newer model (GRX130).
May be its that 325i i drove still getting used to my footing, the engine just isn't as torquey as i expected. My Lancer with CVT feels more responsive and torquey, may be due to some modifications i did.

Mark X 2009 is my best choice if i am getting one, but they are getting 8 years old now, after sales support so far i heard isn't really good due to its an imported toyota, parts are equally expensive.

Thanks,
Ken

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Hahaha ! I took a look at a Legacy B5, too bad its over 100k kms and looks like not properly cared. If you have any more kang tao let me know.

Thanks,
Ken
how about this?
https://www.mudah.my/2012+Subaru+Legacy+2+5+A+-58447897.htm?last=1

another legacy wagon BP5 army green colour wrapped is on sale last few month... not sure if sold yet or not... its 2.5 turbo and auto.... looks well maintained....if u interested maybe i can ask the owner later... (lives nearby my place only)

and way back before someone in this forum also selling his legacy bp5 wagon also.. white colour or silver i forgot...also looks well maintained...and probably sold already

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
how about this?
https://www.mudah.my/2012+Subaru+Legacy+2+5+A+-58447897.htm?last=1

another legacy wagon BP5 army green colour wrapped is on sale last few month... not sure if sold yet or not... its 2.5 turbo and auto.... looks well maintained....if u interested maybe i can ask the owner later... (lives nearby my place only)

and way back before someone in this forum also selling his legacy bp5 wagon also.. white colour or silver i forgot...also looks well maintained...and probably sold already
Very nice car but it's in Johor, at least for the ads you sharing, you have my thanks ! But is this a CVT model? I think most Subaru models came with CVT.

Thanks,
Ken

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

May be its that 325i i drove still getting used to my footing, the engine just isn't as torquey as i expected. My Lancer with CVT feels more responsive and torquey, may be due to some modifications i did.

Mark X 2009 is my best choice if i am getting one, but they are getting 8 years old now, after sales support so far i heard isn't really good due to its an imported toyota, parts are equally expensive.

Thanks,
Ken
Maybe something wrong with that 325i that you tested! Cannot be your Lancer more torquey than that car. Note that most smaller engine Japanese cars tend to have their throttle mapping calibrated to be more aggressive to give that impression/'feel' of good pick up while European cars or bigger cars have them more linear/smoother.

Parts for Mark X are still pretty easy to get coz some are shared with other Toyota/Lexus models and not that expensive actually, surely still cheaper than maintaining a BMW 3 series. If you do buy one, just join our club then can get info on where to buy stuff, what to mod, etc2.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Maybe something wrong with that 325i that you tested! Cannot be your Lancer more torquey than that car. Note that most smaller engine Japanese cars tend to have their throttle mapping calibrated to be more aggressive to give that impression/'feel' of good pick up while European cars or bigger cars have them more linear/smoother.

Parts for Mark X are still pretty easy to get coz some are shared with other Toyota/Lexus models and not that expensive actually, surely still cheaper than maintaining a BMW 3 series. If you do buy one, just join our club then can get info on where to buy stuff, what to mod, etc2.
The initial pickup is kinda horrible to me, but the after 60km/h feel is great but not too impressive. Perhaps something wrong with the 325i, consider its mileage only 55k, its too early to show sluggishness.

That means you own a Lexus or Toyota Mark X ?? :love:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The initial pickup is kinda horrible to me, but the after 60km/h feel is great but not too impressive. Perhaps something wrong with the 325i, consider its mileage only 55k, its too early to show sluggishness.

Hmm mileage 55k should still be very healthy unless that mileage already rewound back!

My daily driver is a 2008 Mark X (GRX120). I have owned it for over 5 years now. Back then my consideration only came down to either this car or the 2007 325i which were about the same price range but I decided to just get the Mark X since it's a younger car and easier to maintain/more reliable, plus it's not as common on the road like the BMW.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

N/A need revs.. versus modern turbos like the F30 320i which builds torque down low. My boat will make an E90 325i look like a turtle from standstill to 60km/h

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
N/A need revs.. versus modern turbos like the F30 320i which builds torque down low. My boat will make an E90 325i look like a turtle from standstill to 60km/h
My Lancer is more livelier below 3k, after 3k there's torque dip but can be easily rectify with remapping, which i haven't done yet.

May be i should drive the 325i a little more to see its real character.

Thanks,
Ken

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Almost 7-8 years ago...I used to sent my GTi to an uncle who is to me...the best ever & most expert in car wiring & modification...This Chinese uncle didn't have his own workshop or nor working for any workshop..He operated on his own and had at that time, converted one corner of a public carpark located at the Petaling Jaya JPJ's Test Centre (beside Armada Hotel/Asia Jaya)...One fine day when my car was having some wiring problem...i by accident had discovered him at the parking lot and had...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience