k series into b series engine bay

evoX2

1,000 RPM

evoX2

1,000 RPM
May 11, 2005
KCH
actually b or k can stand/last higher boosting?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
loo, you asked opinion, and I'm just giving it.

The K series is good, but it's not currently cheaper than the B series if trying to get max power.

Try compare this setup to a the K series and you can see why.

BC cams/retainers for turbo 4k
Dart block 11k
T3/T4 size hybrid turbo (any brand) 3K
tubular manifold - 3.5K
B16A head -1K
EG wiring - rm500
exhaust muffler piping set - 2K
Pistons and rod 4k.
management - 4K AEM/EMS
Transmission - 2K
35K, all new parts except transmission, add 3K more, and that transmission is a custom geared transmission.

(maybe you also need to tack on a few thousand for the crank bearings, rubber seals, etc, but that's usually never mentioned in conversion/engine transplant costs)

Now at first it seems expensive compared to the K series, till you notice that it's using forged parts and a sleeved block, and still manages to cost just a little more than the K series you mentioned, and will make as much horsepower as you dare to boost. Definitely more than a K series will put out even after you pour 33K into it.

I've nothing against the K, or you, dcloo, but for me, I'd wait for the K series (the R version, not the CRV/GSR one) to get cheaper. Afterall, the unmoddable stuff from the K series is the 6 speed transmission after all, and that's one of the best things about the K, the extra gear. I don't think the 5 speed K series gearbox is that well known for it's ratios.

If you think it's affordable now, go for it! I'm just giving my opinion, like you said in the first post.

For D series owners, I think the K series would be a good swap (and possibly cheaper swap), but for current B series owners, I think sticking with the B series is cheaper.

I'm also learning as I go, loo, but I really did ask around about K conversions, and the price I got two years back was shocking. It's definitely cheaper now, like you say, but I don't think cheaper than the B series just yet.

Last edited:

nates_GTR

Known Member

nates_GTR

Known Member
Aug 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
As of now, I think the price for B-series are getting ridiculous. B16a block for rm2500. As honda already stop producing the b-series. I said k-series are better, since they will continue to produce it at least for another 5 year. The stock will flock onto the market. Also in term of reliability. Since the original stock k20ar producing 220ps. Plus another 5hp gain with good intake/exhaust setup. That's already good thing to start with. Plus the vtc system in k20a are really someting that ushould look into. The powerband also much more alive with k20a engine.
What's more, the high torque in k20a make's it really good.
I don't say that that b-series are not good. But through my experience with both engine, b18cr and k20ar. I'll go for k-series for track excursion. For drag, i'll go with b-series. At least for now. And that was because my egk20a have traction issue compared with b-series.
Just my 2 cent.

nates_GTR

Known Member

nates_GTR

Known Member
Aug 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
As of now, I think the price for B-series are getting ridiculous. B16a block for rm2500. As honda already stop producing the b-series. I said k-series are better, since they will continue to produce it at least for another 5 year. The stock will flock onto the market. Also in term of reliability. Since the original stock k20ar producing 220ps. Plus another 5hp gain with good intake/exhaust setup. That's already good thing to start with. Plus the vtc system in k20a are really someting that u should look into. The powerband also much more alive with k20a engine.
What's more, the high torque in k20a make's it really good.
I don't say that that b-series are not good. But through my experience with both engine, b18cr and k20ar. I'll go for k-series for track excursion. For drag, i'll go with b-series. At least for now. And that was because my egk20a have traction issue compared with b-series.
Just my 2 cent.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
The reason why prices can be ridiculous is because the next step up, that is the K20A, is 20K plus!

If the K series is only 15K, I think you'd see B series falling to more normal levels.

nates_GTR

Known Member

nates_GTR

Known Member
Aug 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Not agreed with this. Last time i ask evolution auto. (halfcut shop at subang) The tauke said it's becoming hard to get the halfcut. The reason is
1. Demand from USA are increasing and they are now buying in large order.
2. Since the production are already stop of course it mean sooner or later it will becoming hard to get. Or in economic term, demand are more than supply. So the price will go up.
I remember the good old day in 2001 where b18ctype r only cost me 9k for halfcut and that include steering and gearknob. During those day evo 1 will cost 12k.

D-IV

Known Member

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Demand high, supply low = ridiculous high price. Why would we be surprised?

Anyway, DcLoo, why were you comparing prices for a K-series turbocharged against a B20B-N/A? Obviously a dumbass like me will always think N/A power is an expensive hobby to do because we are trying to extract every bit of power the engine is capable of without aid from external parts. Turbocharge the B and the K, the B is still way cheaper if everything is taken into account. And also, B-series will prove to be reliable not more than a K will if built and tuned properly. Yes the K-series has its tech advances and produce more power under the curve and i love to get one but as shiro said, i'll wait for some people to give it away to me for free or when i can afford one :p. What are we building here anyway? Street use or track/drag use?

I was also thinking of doing the K but money wise, it isn't affordable at the moment especially around my place. Nyway, the R head is casted differently compared to the normal k-series head.

Last edited:

mADmAN

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
im thinking bout the cost as well. last saw on mudah, 15k siap pasang, nearly the same cost as b16b. haiyooo.
15k siap pasang?? wat halfcut first? stream? DC5-Type S?

if its any of the Type R....its about 20-24K la....

where can get 15k... halfcut alone already 14k... mountings 1k+.. header 1k+....n god knows what else....

upah etc somemore...

kUmUcHaI 11/1

500 RPM

kUmUcHaI 11/1

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
JB - KL
I don't trust 15k siap pasang . Engine kosong pasang to what ?
Possible ah ?
Let said engine kosong pasang to fd1 - cl7 engine as sell in zth market. Use all the stock stuff in fd1. Can ah ?
I feel tak boleh leh ....
Sifu all. How??

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After asking a few mechanics' opinion, I have found out the auto gearbox for my Wira a/b 1.6 is going to die soon. All have suggested replacing the gearbox. Now, I have switched gearbox 3 times already, and I'm tired of that. Furthermore, the car revs more than it moves, therefore consuming a lot of petrol.

A friend's mechanic said he can replace my gearbox with a manual one at RM1700. This includes a 4G93 1.8 gearbox, gear console, pedals, flywheel, clutchplate, starter and all other...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience