Getting Started!

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Hey fellow enthusiast,
I'm currently driving a putra with an auto tranny.I'm thinking of transplanting a 4G93T(GSR).Although i have driven a turbo before but i'm still a novice in the turbo world.I was driving a bolt on turbo which i just bought second hand.Sold it away about 4 years back.
Now what i intend to find out is how much is a half cut of the GSR?What r the rates for the workmanship of the transplant?How much do i have to pay to get the car and the new engine no. to be approved?Will i be harrassed by JPJ officers?Do i have to get the engine ported and what parts do i need to change after i purchased a half cut?
I plan to use the original intercooler as the Vr4 IC that i was using tends to heat up the engine as it is blocking the radiator.Don't shoot me down if i figure it out wrongly:_:
Cause the last time when i own one it always heat up if i keep the the speed at a constant 170kmh and also it heated up when i was driving up cameron n genting.
Anyway i will be darn happy if you guys can answer all my queries.Happy driving!

Cohiba

Known Member
Oct 12, 2006
well the gsr halfcut nowadays range from 5K-7K usually...depending on mods and condition....

rates for workmanship on engine transplants usually is around 1.2K-2K depending on what needs to be done and where u do it....

i dont think it should be a problem since your planning to dump in another 1.8lit engine..only dif is that the gsr has a 'T' at the end...hehe...but it takes quite long to get the letter from Putrajaya....maybe a lil duit kopi can speed things up a little... :)

about the intercooler, i dont think its the VR4 intercooler....alot of people i know are using bigger intercoolers than the VR4,and their temp is fine....maybe radiator bocor or something...hehe....

hope that helps

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Thanks Cohiba.You just reminded me of the cigar i smoke 2 weeks back haha.no offence.Well yup i did get some vague information like need rm600 to get it approve eventhough it's just a 'T' in front of the 4g93.If i do get the half cut do i need to change the clutch plate and stuff?the last time when i purchased the turbo'ed car it came with a racing clutch and boy it was tough to drive.So i change it to a normal clutch but i felt there is some slippage.
Is the GSR intercooler different from the normal 1.8 engine?

Cohiba

Known Member
Oct 12, 2006
Thanks Cohiba.You just reminded me of the cigar i smoke 2 weeks back haha.no offence.Well yup i did get some vague information like need rm600 to get it approve eventhough it's just a 'T' in front of the 4g93.If i do get the half cut do i need to change the clutch plate and stuff?the last time when i purchased the turbo'ed car it came with a racing clutch and boy it was tough to drive.So i change it to a normal clutch but i felt there is some slippage.
Is the GSR intercooler different from the normal 1.8 engine?
LoL....its my job,i sell cuban products...Cohiba is damn good ( refering to the cigar,not me).

i think u shouldnt change clutch and all 1st...maybe u can change your beltings and alternator...but check with the place u buy the halfcut,cause sometimes it voids their warranty...kekeke.....

Racing clutches are hard to drive but u'll get the hang of it once u drive it for a week or so.....same thing happened to me,when i changed to my racing clutch,damn hard to drive but i got used to it.....

Is the GSR intercooler different from the normal 1.8 engine ? <<--- i dont get u bro...gsr intercooler is a baby side mount intercooler...

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
a T in front of the code 4G93?? but i thought all should follow the block chassis code, n the chassis code has no T, so there's no T in my vehicle 'geran' too.....

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
GSR official engine code is "a" in your registration card...like 4G93a i think

Cohiba

Known Member
Oct 12, 2006
a T in front of the code 4G93?? but i thought all should follow the block chassis code, n the chassis code has no T, so there's no T in my vehicle 'geran' too.....
yup yup...my mistake...should only state 4G93

jaydee

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
Subang Jaya
4G93-T is just phrase for 'kaki kereta' to mention GSR engines. T= Turbo

The reg card only shows 4G93 but the engine number different - the block.. so thats why need to go inspection again. No matter what new engine with the block you change still need to go for inspection, even both is 4G93. It needs to be endorse with the new number. There is multiple purpose for that. I went thru bollocks becos of JPJ.. hehe.. :)

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Haha sorry cohiba.my mistake.what i meant is "is the radiator for the GSR different from the proton 1.8 engine?"

Yea actually i know that when we get our engine swap we need to register the new number right?The 4g93 will still be there.but i would like to know whether JPJ will harrass turbo car owners and whether the modifications that i will be doing is legal?

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
lol... no wonder cohiba is stoned when he answered ur question.....

wat's ur concern bout this? if ur concern is about fitting issue, yes, it's the same size from ur putra na to GSR, even same thickness, but i'm not too sure bout the internals of both radiators....

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
actually want to know whether the radiator is the same both the mitsu n poton cos when i had the bolt on turbo it over heated with the proton radiator.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

helo sifu,
need opinion here,i got a vr4 block that wanted to replace piston.what piston to get beside stock vr4 one?can it fit evo piston nicely?which compression will be higher,vr4 or evo? :regular_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience