Ever tried a simple DIY then causing a major F**K UP! .... Share you stories

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
First time do oil change on iswara after 12 yrs sent to workshop for routine maintenance. Simple enuf but guess what, overtightened drain plug. Noob mistake. Can't tighten plug, engine oil leaking out, hav 2 sent back to my trusty mechanic to fix prob. Rethread hole, now no leak. I think he's still smilin...
priceless :rofl:

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
"couple of bucks"?

Dude, DIY can save you hundreds! A brake pad change for example - Pads RM50 at the spare parts shop, DIY install and everything - FOC. At the shop it'll cost you minimally RM100. Then oil change RM30 workmanship is saved and you don't have to pay tax because of the workmanship, then getting the oil yourself means it's cheaper than buying off the workshop, oil filters cost RM8 instead of RM15, ATF change save a helluva lot too.
I was being sarcastic la bro....:biggrin::biggrin:

3-4 times evading calling the tow truck already saved me about 1K...
...but now I am a AAM member already, so next breakdown call tow truck....free ma...haha

Anything to do with oil changes, I don't do myself due to environmental/cleanliness issues (too hassle to dispose the oil properly) and don't want to dirty my hands...haha. But I almost never buy parts/oil
from workshop, always buy at spare parts shop before going to workshop..

Last edited:

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Worst thing also happened to me. DIY install oil filter relocation kit. Maybe I did not clamp the hose properly and end up hose burst and oil been poured onto extractor while driving.

After a while, the oil got too hot and fired. my half of engine bay was on fired. Stop at road side and Im totally freaking out. Then a hiway support van stop by to help but the fire extinguisher was empty. What the heck he was carrying empty fire extinguisher?

SO what should I do? DO I have to watch my can burnt on fire? No, I have to do something. I've grab floor carpet and slam it on the fire. Luckily the fire off. My whole body was shaking. I might loose my car that time. Thank to god.

I think, that's the biggest diy mistake I ever did. I also fried an ecu becoz of wrong wiring.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Worst thing also happened to me. DIY install oil filter relocation kit. Maybe I did not clamp the hose properly and end up hose burst and oil been poured onto extractor while driving.

After a while, the oil got too hot and fired. my half of engine bay was on fired. Stop at road side and Im totally freaking out. Then a hiway support van stop by to help but the fire extinguisher was empty. What the heck he was carrying empty fire extinguisher?

SO what should I do? DO I have to watch my can burnt on fire? No, I have to do something. I've grab floor carpet and slam it on the fire. Luckily the fire off. My whole body was shaking. I might loose my car that time. Thank to god.

I think, that's the biggest diy mistake I ever did. I also fried an ecu becoz of wrong wiring.
Wah lucky that u were able to put off the fire

The only thing we get from DIY which is priceless...The feel of an achievement! Well if not screw up until cannot be fixed la

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Can anyone recommend a good DIY shop?

Reasonably priced,

More variety...
What do u mean by DIY shop? Those like ACE hardware? I guess it really depends on what item u are looking for..coz some common hardware shops might already have what u r looking for, mayb with a slightly expensive price or even cheaper. But if you want "shopping" kind of DIY, so far I only know ACE and it's available in most famous shopping mall...many things to see inside except leng luis

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
What do u mean by DIY shop? Those like ACE hardware? I guess it really depends on what item u are looking for..coz some common hardware shops might already have what u r looking for, mayb with a slightly expensive price or even cheaper. But if you want "shopping" kind of DIY, so far I only know ACE and it's available in most famous shopping mall...many things to see inside except leng luis
Thanks CV for your recommendation...

Will pay ACE Hardware a visit....

Not looking for anything in particular...

But will buy anything that i find it to be useful for me...:confused:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

Haha then u should go to ACE...it's like shopping inside and that's what I like to do sometimes. Many things to see except felixia yeap :smokin:

sarled

Known Member
Sep 14, 2012
Semenyih
Haha then u should go to ACE...it's like shopping inside and that's what I like to do sometimes. Many things to see except felixia yeap :smokin:
If you are looking for precision mechanic tools (dial gauges, torque wrenches, measuring special tools etc) then you need to go elsewhere. There's one small place near Ampang's little Korea called Techno Tools. It's not even a shop, it's one of those small offices upstairs of shoplots. Saying that, it's not the only place. Check out Lelong .com, there are quite a few places selling speciality tools.

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Brave man. But don't let this put you off DIY. Even if you sent it to a shop he could have made the same mistake. The beauty of DIY is you know you did a good job, with the best materials available, at the cheapest cost and with the best care possible (if it worked la, of course). I just changed my aircond belt yesterday, cost me RM28 at the spare parts shop and some soap to wash-off, that's all. The foreman wanted to charge me RM58 if I brought it to him. Just a simple thing, saved me half $ already. Also, saved me fuel and still having the comfort of my own home, with wife giving me drinks and food. :wavey:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
hmmm.. nice thread here..

my most f-up DIY is my head lamp

The goal : to get a nice set of head lamp.. since there's no body sells a nice 1..

i cut 3 holes on my original headlamp & planning to put a clear plastic on top of it.. or under it

but the shape of it prevent me to use any glue

so, my plan now is either :

1. use the original headlamp(i have a spare, just in case), or
2. cut my DIY headlamp & use is as a eye-lid

here's how it looks now

and this is how it supposed to be afterwards.. (sample pic)

so, i think it's not a f-up DIY afterall (yet) :biggrin:

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong

Yes, ACE is a good place to find rare parts. For a common parts, I just bought at nearby hardware shop.

Below is link for my DIY masterpiece. DIY ENGINE OVERHAULED.

DIY ENGINE OVERHAULED

sarled

Known Member
Sep 14, 2012
Semenyih
Yes, ACE is a good place to find rare parts. For a common parts, I just bought at nearby hardware shop.

Below is link for my DIY masterpiece. DIY ENGINE OVERHAULED.

DIY ENGINE OVERHAULED
Great job. Nothing like the satisfaction and the knowledge gained.

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:04 AM ----------

hmmm.. nice thread here..

my most f-up DIY is my head lamp

The goal : to get a nice set of head lamp.. since there's no body sells a nice 1..

i cut 3 holes on my original headlamp & planning to put a clear plastic on top of it.. or under it

but the shape of it prevent me to use any glue

so, my plan now is either :

1. use the original headlamp(i have a spare, just in case), or
2. cut my DIY headlamp & use is as a eye-lid

here's how it looks now

and this is how it supposed to be afterwards.. (sample pic)

so, i think it's not a f-up DIY afterall (yet) :biggrin:

Haha, it's not an F-up. Just didn't come out as designed. Hehe. Still unique tho.:rofl:

NoDirecTIoN

Mar 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hello, i'm nt new member or old just lazy to post in any forum. A so call simple DIY story cause me chains of F-up in my car.
Car Model: Kancil L5 EFJL (3 Cylinder -DOHC, 4-Speed, RHf3-Turbo)
Year:1997
Beginning of story:
My car is a 3rd-Hand owner car, where the 2nd-owner converted this 850cc kancil to current setup. But left EGR hose hanging in midair while dripping engine oil on the road(but sometimes it drip on the engine bay area n engine oil vapor smell entering air-conditioner vent than to car cockpit->its discomforting)
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=457837&stc=1&d=1348195827[IMG]

[U]Middle of the Story[/U]
Than i decided do something like this DIY oil catch tank [IMG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5931745867_f989e9337d_z.jpg
but with slight modification by inserting some cloth inside those catchment hose in order reduce the pressure to help prolong the oil catch tank:rolleyes:. Early result no more engine oil vapor smell in car cockpit:rofl: n afterwards blue exhaust smoke :smokin: (only that i realized backflow/backpressure/contraflow of the turbo oil cool into the engine intake :confused:)
The end result of my old RHf3-turbo sprayed throughout with engine oil :banghead:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=457838&stc=1&d=1348195827[IMGl]

[U]Conclusion[/U]
lead to buy a same rhf3-turbo from a chopshop/2nd-hand shop n first time DIY turbo change which took me 2D2N to settle the change n redirected the EGR-hose towards the intake something like this:
[IMG]http://i86.servimg.com/u/f86/12/96/81/50/i12.jpg[IMG]
Lesson learned :wavey:

Attachments

Last edited:

Bar7MonsteR

Known Member
Mar 26, 2005
Putrajaya & UK
Never DIY early in the morning when u just woke up from ur bed...

You'll be surprised with the energy that u have during that groggy moment...over torque a stud bolt, leaving the break part inside...pfffttt

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
drop a screw into d engine bay & end up buying a new 1.. hoho

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

to all sifu's, pls comment which engine is more suitable for upgrating the wira 1.5(A), by comparing the FC and HP.

4G91 DOHC (Auto),4G92 DOHC non-mivec(Auto),4G92 DOHC mivec(Auto) and 4G93 DOHC (Auto).
1.6 mives got one triptronic one quite interesting, but dunno how is the HP and FC ???
My current ride is 4G15 (A), which is very in power and very pandai in FC (makan minyak)....about 17~20sen (depends highway and town area). This engin even overtake an ori kancil when wif 5 person in...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience