Does spark plug effects your engine performance ?

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
Hey guys, i want to know whether u guys have any thoughts on spark plugs and fuel efficiency .....
I personally using Denso Iridium IK16 . At first things run pretty well until one time after i refill my gas tank, things got worst. Fuel consumption rose up terribly. Did some checking , finally to the spark plugs, its insulator is quite reddish.....

Thanks for your suggestion and opinions !!!

noorbi

Dec 16, 2004
Kota Bharu
how much the price you bought Denso Iridium IK16?

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

what engine? is it n/a or turbo? displacement (cc)?

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
I'm driving a 989cc Kenari (M) .

I bought it @ 50 per pc ( for 3 only ) around 2 years back .

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
AFAIK, as long as you use spark plugs wif the correct heat rating that the engine manufacturer's recommended... no problem whatsoever... using different materials such as platinum/iridium only serve to pro-long the plugs life that's all...

if you go too 'hot', you'll experience pre-ignition leading to detonation/knocking and damage may occur. If it is too 'cold', electrically conductive deposits may form on the insulator causing a loss of spark energy or the actual shorting-out of the spark current.

at least that my 2 sen la

btw, which one describe your spark plug's color?

May 22, 2010
jaipur
AFAIK, as long as you use spark plugs wif the correct heat rating that the engine manufacturer's recommended... no problem whatsoever... using different materials such as platinum/iridium only serve to pro-long the plugs life that's all...

if you go too 'hot', you'll experience pre-ignition leading to detonation/knocking and damage may occur. If it is too 'cold', electrically conductive deposits may form on the insulator causing a loss of spark energy or the actual shorting-out of the spark current.

Last edited by a moderator:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Forgot to add, found this at this site
Normal, but with red coating: The red coating is a result of the additives in lower-quality unleaded fuel and will be visible on the plug's ceramic insulation. The red coating is not an indication of any engine problems.

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
Thx bro papagoines for your kind info and the chart. Well at first it was more to overheating but just now when check the plugs again, it seems to be back to normal again ....... I guess i'm running too lean of a a/f mixture.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Thx bro papagoines again for your useful source. Really appreciate it !!!
After reading it, its seems like the might be problem to the fuel too ......
Something is fishy with this petrol kiosk i went to the other day .... I was running average 350 km / 27.777 lit . All in a sudden only manage to run 290 ......

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Thx bro papagoines for your kind info and the chart. Well at first it was more to overheating but just now when check the plugs again, it seems to be back to normal again ....... I guess i'm running too lean of a a/f mixture.
glad to help... i'm no experts but my pomen fren always sez that if you use recommended spark plugs, it tends to be a diagnostic tools for engine problems than a cause for problem... different issue if we're using not recommended plugs...

...maybe u shud reset ur ecu and view the spark plugs again after a few run? got budget, get a dyno test of ur afr

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
Yea from wat your pomen said is true. Thats y i'm sticking with IK16 rather than IK20 which the spare part fella recommend. Any way, i did reset my ECU, only thing is i nid to borrow a proper exhaust gas analyzer to check my content in exhaust gas and also my AF ......

So wish i could get a real after market Engine management kit rather than cheaplak air kompressor . :banghead::banghead::banghead:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Yea from wat your pomen said is true. Thats y i'm sticking with IK16 rather than IK20 which the spare part fella recommend. Any way, i did reset my ECU, only thing is i nid to borrow a proper exhaust gas analyzer to check my content in exhaust gas and also my AF ......

So wish i could get a real after market Engine management kit rather than cheaplak air kompressor . :banghead::banghead::banghead:
IK16 is the rating for EJ series engine.... so you're wise to stick to it...

go for safc la.... hehehe

all the best!! :top:

Jul 27, 2006
Nice info Papagoines..

Lonelylilpig @ Turbo or N/A? Got fuel regulator?
- those plugs are just for better sparks.. It might be useful if you can set your ignition+air+fuel properly..
- Use the narrowband afr meter to adjust your mixture.
- adjust the fuel reg 'with' the vac hose off.
- check out your vehicle smokes.. white/black?

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
Nice info Papagoines..

Lonelylilpig @ Turbo or N/A? Got fuel regulator?
- those plugs are just for better sparks.. It might be useful if you can set your ignition+air+fuel properly..
- Use the narrowband afr meter to adjust your mixture.
- adjust the fuel reg 'with' the vac hose off.
- check out your vehicle smokes.. white/black?
All vacuum hoses fitted properly , no leak. Smoke normal , No additional fuel regulator , just the one submerge inside the fuel tank.

Jul 31, 2010
penang
my first engine L2s turbo,i had been using NGK-R spark plug..orginal come with my halfcut then after one month ,when i change to the new spark plug..i can feel very different..in CF & engine performance...so kept changing your part regularly

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
Hey guys, i want to know whether u guys have any thoughts on spark plugs and fuel efficiency .....
I personally using Denso Iridium IK16 . At first things run pretty well until one time after i refill my gas tank, things got worst. Fuel consumption rose up terribly. Did some checking , finally to the spark plugs, its insulator is quite reddish.....

Thanks for your suggestion and opinions !!!
why not u ask ur sifu..??

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello to all....

I just need a favour from ya'll....
firstly how much I've to spend to change my KE-70 engine..
which 1 is better...
1: 4age
2: 4agze

are that engine c/w N/A @ Superchagred..which 1 is better performance..coz I'm a crazy driver who luv drive fast..
at least I got 200km/J++...hehehe :dancing2:

I also need to change my steering to power steering & any parts that makes me comfort to drive fast...

plz...anyone help me.

tq...
KONTENA
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience