DIY Stock MyVi & Alza 1.5 Heat Shield

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Sure got heat up. But got better performance while driving.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Never really looked into my wife's SUV engine bay for any mod. But that day battery konk and went to make claim as the Century Ultramax is 21 months warranty and konk at 17 months. When open hood, spare part shop mentioned battery very hot, so while letting it cool, I checked out the engine bay and found the radiator fan actually blowing directly at the battery and air intake is just next to it. Looks like need to do some heat shield after reading this post....:biggrin:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Never really looked into my wife's SUV engine bay for any mod. But that day battery konk and went to make claim as the Century Ultramax is 21 months warranty and konk at 17 months. When open hood, spare part shop mentioned battery very hot, so while letting it cool, I checked out the engine bay and found the radiator fan actually blowing directly at the battery and air intake is just next to it. Looks like need to do some heat shield after reading this post....:biggrin:
I still got some PE foam if you want some

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Back from work today, korek my junk container and found thick fuel hose. Took some time and manage to came with this

Attachments

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Okay, last few days doing the battery heat shield for wife's SUV. Search around for something to DIY with. Household kitchen aluminum foil was found to be too flimsy. Finally found those aluminum backing for kitchen stove. Found them is those stores similar to Daiso at RM5.

The aluminum seems thicker but still not thick enough, so measure and cut cardboard.

Then cut aluminum to size

Then wrap cardboard with it

Then bent the board accordingly, remove battery clamp, fit in and clamp back. Using battery clamp to hold in place.

Before

After ( Can see radiator and fan right in front of battery)

Thanks for viewing....

Reactions: dwen

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
me2kimi - doesn't the hose get heated up with the extractor being so close by?
plastic doesnt soak up heat very well and it doesnt dissipate heat very well either....

plus considering the speed of the air going through the hose, i think the amount of heat would be negligible....especially since its sucking directly at the front grill.

metal tubes on the other hand....

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
Where can I get PE foam? Is stationary store plastic boards suitable for heatshields?

Okay, last few days doing the battery heat shield for wife's SUV. Search around for something to DIY with. Household kitchen aluminum foil was found to be too flimsy. Finally found those aluminum backing for kitchen stove. Found them is those stores similar to Daiso at RM5.
The aluminum seems thicker but still not thick enough, so measure and cut cardboard.
Then cut aluminum to size
Then wrap cardboard with it
Thanks for viewing....
You could've used the same sort of plastic boards (ordinary stationary store boards?) the others have been using since cardboard might soak up engine oil, moisture and degrade.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Where can I get PE foam? Is stationary store plastic boards suitable for heatshields?

You could've used the same sort of plastic boards (ordinary stationary store boards?) the others have been using since cardboard might soak up engine oil, moisture and degrade.
Did with what I had in hand. Anyway the cardboard is wrapped in the aluminum sheet, so protected from water, oil etc....:driver:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Did with what I had in hand. Anyway the cardboard is wrapped in the aluminum sheet, so protected from water, oil etc....:driver:
Should be no problem as long as it is not exposed. Y not tilt the shield a little bit to deflect the hot air?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004

quick question... can those stationery plastic boards handle hot air from the radiator fan... thinking of making one of these as my radiator fan is blowing hot air to my open pod

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
quick question... can those stationery plastic boards handle hot air from the radiator fan... thinking of making one of these as my radiator fan is blowing hot air to my open pod
its worth the try coz it is kinda cheap. The best is that you add some more insulation or cladding to the plastic board (maybe rubber or the best is PE foam / fiberglass)

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Should be no problem as long as it is not exposed. Y not tilt the shield a little bit to deflect the hot air?
Firstly not much space and secondly I am using the battery clamp to hold it in place...:driver:

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Can wrap them in the aluminum foil like mine. Buy from RM5 shop.....:biggrin:

Going to do another two. One for VR and one for my Hyundai. Both are quite simialr and this time will be straight from front to rear rather then across left to right...

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It appears that Lamborghini have filed a claim with the trademark office for the name ‘Aventador,’ leading to the mandatory speculation that it could be the name for the Murcielago’s replacement.

A select group of customers were treated to a preview of the new raging bull at Sant’Agata recently and word is that the Lamborghini Aventador...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience