Bov stall engine

Lancerboy1

Known Member
Jun 11, 2006
just changed to Greddy type S for my lance gsr.

but if i vent into air, engine stall, BUT if i tighten it, engine become more stable BUT bov cannot release all out since it is so tight..

is there any remedy?

now i recirculate the bov back. engine is ok now.

Anyway, any one use the greddy type S too? when i low boost, it produce soft birdie sound pheeee, but higher boost it sound like stock BOV (SAAAA) , is this supposed to sound this way for a greddy type S. (mine is not replica or copy type S)

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
lancerboy,

welcome to the modding world, now that u've installed ur BOV it is the first poison u take till u finally changed to a MAP or speed density or blow thru setup, all Mass Air Flow is incompatible with Vent To Atmosphere BOV, think of the logic, assuming 14.5X of air = 1X amount of fuel, and if ur MAF measures and tells ur ECU 14.5X amount of air, ECU processes and tells ur injector 1x of fuel, and with ur sudden release of throttle, means full block up for ur throttle butterfly valve, ur BOV opens to prevent shockwave back to ur precious turbine and out to atmostphere, injector is shooting richer than it should, this causes jerking between gears and even stalling since the combustion at that particular moment is too rich....

to cure this prob, get a HKS EIDS, which i did, but please be regretful when buying this coz the setting that u can do has only two knobs - 1 for rich/lean, another for cut off point, u can't tune this to the best u could coz all the adjustments points are linear....

then u'll try get an safc2 or neo, only then to regret that it's not really performing up 2 wat u expected, then maybe emanage (unless u get some pros out there who can fully utilize the ULTIMATE in converting into a full MAP setup), but soon u'll realize that u still need to ditch ur MAF to the sea and feed the dolphins, there u go finally u'll be typing in the google on how to remove ur MAF convert to speed density, blow thru, MAP bla bla, only then u get to know u can't do much unless u change the whole ECU, which means getting a standalone ECU, and later u'll find that it's really expensive getting a standalone, then u'll start searching for more solutions, such as the MEGASQUIRT!!

CONCLUSION: make up ur choice, many MAF human beings can live with an VTA BOV, but not for me, tighten ur BOV will normally do fine (except the new HKSSQV that i have which has no adjustment), however tightening ur BOV means sending ur air shockwaving into ur precious turbine (u dun wanna kill ur turbine don't u??) coz tightening up the BOV settings means it'll only open at 0.3 bar or higher, some even experienced 0.5 bar to prevent stalling!!!!

cipan_supercas

1,500 RPM
Feb 4, 2004
Shah Alam
www.draxecu.com
kennethfong said:
lancerboy,

welcome to the modding world, .....................

then u'll try get an safc2 or neo, only then to regret ........ only then u get to know u can't do much unless u change the whole ECU, which means getting a standalone ECU, and later u'll find that it's really expensive getting a standalone, then u'll start searching for more solutions, such as the MEGASQUIRT!!
Another bottle of poison?

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
kennethfong said:
lancerboy,

welcome to the modding world, now that u've installed ur BOV it is the first poison u take till u finally changed to a MAP or speed density or blow thru setup, all Mass Air Flow is incompatible with Vent To Atmosphere BOV, think of the logic, assuming 14.5X of air = 1X amount of fuel, and if ur MAF measures and tells ur ECU 14.5X amount of air, ECU processes and tells ur injector 1x of fuel, and with ur sudden release of throttle, means full block up for ur throttle butterfly valve, ur BOV opens to prevent shockwave back to ur precious turbine and out to atmostphere, injector is shooting richer than it should, this causes jerking between gears and even stalling since the combustion at that particular moment is too rich....

to cure this prob, get a HKS EIDS, which i did, but please be regretful when buying this coz the setting that u can do has only two knobs - 1 for rich/lean, another for cut off point, u can't tune this to the best u could coz all the adjustments points are linear....

then u'll try get an safc2 or neo, only then to regret that it's not really performing up 2 wat u expected, then maybe emanage (unless u get some pros out there who can fully utilize the ULTIMATE in converting into a full MAP setup), but soon u'll realize that u still need to ditch ur MAF to the sea and feed the dolphins, there u go finally u'll be typing in the google on how to remove ur MAF convert to speed density, blow thru, MAP bla bla, only then u get to know u can't do much unless u change the whole ECU, which means getting a standalone ECU, and later u'll find that it's really expensive getting a standalone, then u'll start searching for more solutions, such as the MEGASQUIRT!!

CONCLUSION: make up ur choice, many MAF human beings can live with an VTA BOV, but not for me, tighten ur BOV will normally do fine (except the new HKSSQV that i have which has no adjustment), however tightening ur BOV means sending ur air shockwaving into ur precious turbine (u dun wanna kill ur turbine don't u??) coz tightening up the BOV settings means it'll only open at 0.3 bar or higher, some even experienced 0.5 bar to prevent stalling!!!!

Dear Kenneth,
Thanks for the helping yesterday. I went to northam garage yesterday. My stupid fan was stop running with unknown reason. But after that when my car was there, the "GOD" is coming to check, the stupid running again! Mind be some wire connection problem...:angry_smile:
Anyway, I did ask about my BOV to Ah Loi. He mentioned that my 61T is having an old type air flow sensor which of course older than yours. I did mention about the problem you met which I never met since the first day I installed my BOV. He just told me "It is good that your car is not stalling". :emoticon_U:
I was confused. And then I asked him that whether the pressure released to air flow will harm my turbine, but he said that is not going to be since it was coming out from air flow. :confused_smile:
Well... I have no idea about it. Even my machenic in my hometown telling me the same thing. Haiz.. What to do?
Am I consider lucky?:X-:

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
To all,
Bro, Hot air sensor like Nissan:SR20,RB20, Frequency sensor like Mitsubishi:4G93T,4G61T,4G63T, this kind of design/setup system, we call a "Close Box System"
You can not mod the BOV.( You will get STALL engine )
So, those using map sensor (Boost) should not problem to mod the BOV, so you can install stand alone unit like Haltech, Microtech, Motec...MEGASQUIRT!!

Cipan,Another bottle of poison?..he...he.....

Oh...Yes....Protech...too

Good Luck.

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
Hi ecupro,
For my case, what is your comment? What is possible caused to my engine never stall? Please advise.

Thanks you.

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
kk,

gosh, better get ah loi to change the whole wiring for ur fan, if it's intermittent, it's as good as faulty... don't rely on it leerh...

i dun understand y he said that, will check with him when i c him....

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
just one thing need to emphasize, u can find loads of debate between MAF VTA BOV PROS N CONS in many many mnay esp DSM forums, some gets away with it, some stalls, some jerks, n u get different results....

if ur practically OK n u dun decide to mod further, keep it then n forget bout the physics of airflow.... if u'll like to deal with the prob, the theories is always right, MAF is incompatible with VTA BOV...

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
kk,

u might probably do a check on ur own 61T engine, whether the Mass Air Flow is using Karman Vortex, which i think it is, there are a few types of MAF out there (n since u oso mentioned ur engine has been modified before coming to ur hands), if it is a hotwire type, u can relocate ur MAF just before ur throttle body after the intercooler, so u'll get away with the 'air misreading info' sent to ur ecu, this is wat we call a blow thru setup....

of course there are still many piggyback methods that can solve this, eg. microtech mt4, hks vpc n many many many others esp the DSM aftermarket products normally available in US....

Lancerboy1

Known Member
Jun 11, 2006
bov

just now i tighten the screw, it sound better, the sharp bird sound last longer than before i tighten.

should i tighten more?

Lancerboy1

Known Member
Jun 11, 2006
by the way, i am running on re circulate, my type S is re circulating and engine is very stable like stock. greddy type S is really better than the stock one. not only it recirculate, it also give birdie sound.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
the "birdie" sound is when pressurise air blowing backdward to the turbo when lifting off pedal.
reading off the net, often suggest that this will damage turbo bearings. as the backward air give more resistance for the turbin to spin freely.

bov usually needs to be tighten until no air leaks (at the bov) when max boost.

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
kennethfong said:
just one thing need to emphasize, u can find loads of debate between MAF VTA BOV PROS N CONS in many many mnay esp DSM forums, some gets away with it, some stalls, some jerks, n u get different results....

if ur practically OK n u dun decide to mod further, keep it then n forget bout the physics of airflow.... if u'll like to deal with the prob, the theories is always right, MAF is incompatible with VTA BOV...
I'm agree with the theory. But my practically practice is not giving me any problem...:X-:

Anyway, anyone ZTH-rian having the same result as I met? Please share your information and experience. I'm using 4G61T. Any 63T owner from E1 to E3? Kindly share share~`

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i'm now driving wira se with 4g15p right? does anyone know how can i modify to it?i plan to look for a block to change..
like those 1.6 Vtec change to CRV block then become 2.0 Vtec liow..
does anyone knows?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience