4G93 DOHC Problems

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
only clean serviced it last time, the most recent is fitting a new stepper motor to troubleshoot it. feels the same as the old one - bad idling still. if mivec TB what adjustments do i have to do? overhaul yes!! but i am also skeptical cos this engine has been overhaul 2-3 times (done badly) which contributed to its current condition - leakage, white smoke, dented pistons..
Wah. Changed new stepper motor still having bad idling? Should go back to the shop that install the stepper motor. Most of the time it's the TPS sensor not adjusted correctly. If you're up to some DIY session and have a digital multimeter, you follow the steps from the site link below:

http://www.diytacra.com/2012/12/tps-idle-switch.html

http://www.diytacra.com/2010/07/tps-adjustment.html

Dented pistons not good. I would be very very worried to drive the car knowing that it's in that condition.

EDIT: For Mivec TB, you need to bore the intake manifold just a lil bit coz it's slightly larger than your stock TB.

Last edited:

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Wah. Changed new stepper motor still having bad idling? Should go back to the shop that install the stepper motor. Most of the time it's the TPS sensor not adjusted correctly. If you're up to some DIY session and have a digital multimeter, you follow the steps from the site link below:

http://www.diytacra.com/2012/12/tps-idle-switch.html

http://www.diytacra.com/2010/07/tps-adjustment.html

Dented pistons not good. I would be very very worried to drive the car knowing that it's in that condition.

EDIT: For Mivec TB, you need to bore the intake manifold just a lil bit coz it's slightly larger than your stock TB.
now that you mentioned and provided the links, i reckon it's very likely the TPS sensor. mine is a 4-pin. now im getting a clearer picture of it, can't wait to work on it tomorrow! :biggrin:

yesss dented pistons ain't cool! but only on the top part where the combustion happens. 2 mechanics said based on the marks they're still usable, so imma live with that until the engine is opened up the next time then access what needs to be replaced.

MIVEC TB measures at 70mm? if the stepper motor doesn't solve it tmr, then i might be looking into TB shopping soon :hmmmm2:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
now that you mentioned and provided the links, i reckon it's very likely the TPS sensor. mine is a 4-pin. now im getting a clearer picture of it, can't wait to work on it tomorrow! :biggrin:

yesss dented pistons ain't cool! but only on the top part where the combustion happens. 2 mechanics said based on the marks they're still usable, so imma live with that until the engine is opened up the next time then access what needs to be replaced.

MIVEC TB measures at 70mm? if the stepper motor doesn't solve it tmr, then i might be looking into TB shopping soon :hmmmm2:
I think most likely it's the TPS settings. Happens to me before. I changed ISC for my TB (mine is 93 sohc). But the idle sometimes hunting, sometimes high, and got hesitation when i accelerate. Send back to the guy (he sells stuff here ZTH id DDT), he checked my TPS was not correct and set back then all was good. But now I swap to a larger TB dy. Haha

Your cylinder walls all ok ah after what happen to your engine?

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
I think most likely it's the TPS settings. Happens to me before. I changed ISC for my TB (mine is 93 sohc). But the idle sometimes hunting, sometimes high, and got hesitation when i accelerate. Send back to the guy (he sells stuff here ZTH id DDT), he checked my TPS was not correct and set back then all was good. But now I swap to a larger TB dy. Haha

awesome! good to know that you dealt with DDT before, if he solved yours then he should be able to solve mine cos the ISC is from him :biggrin: if really TB issue then i'll be looking to get a bigger one too!

seemed ok but can't be sure because all the work was focused on the cylinder head. the white smoke issue also happened after top set OH, implying that the mechanic COMPLETELY overlooked any problem-to-be-fixed on the block.. one of my worst pomen experiences :deal:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
awesome! good to know that you dealt with DDT before, if he solved yours then he should be able to solve mine cos the ISC is from him :biggrin: if really TB issue then i'll be looking to get a bigger one too!

seemed ok but can't be sure because all the work was focused on the cylinder head. the white smoke issue also happened after top set OH, implying that the mechanic COMPLETELY overlooked any problem-to-be-fixed on the block.. one of my worst pomen experiences :deal:
Franky is a very nice guy. He'll get yours sorted out. I forgot about your top set being severely damaged. I think you better go and buy 93 'kosong' head bro. Can find cheap ones around RM700 minimum. Use back your cams, valves, springs and all.

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Franky is a very nice guy. He'll get yours sorted out. I forgot about your top set being severely damaged. I think you better go and buy 93 'kosong' head bro. Can find cheap ones around RM700 minimum. Use back your cams, valves, springs and all.
agreed! in fact i'd give him thumbs up for being very patient and helpful, good lad!

700 for a kosong head sounds like a good deal to me. my concern is that i wouldn't know if the condition of these new "used" heads are gonna be better or worse compared to mine now. hard to make thorough check with my inexperience. you know anyone/anywhere i can source it from? or should i pm you? :listen:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
agreed! in fact i'd give him thumbs up for being very patient and helpful, good lad!

700 for a kosong head sounds like a good deal to me. my concern is that i wouldn't know if the condition of these new "used" heads are gonna be better or worse compared to mine now. hard to make thorough check with my inexperience. you know anyone/anywhere i can source it from? or should i pm you? :listen:
i normally search parts on mudah and facebook groups. haha. or you can try ask this seller - http://www.mudah.my/din6a12

I saw he just upload a mivec CJ head. :burnout:

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
i normally search parts on mudah and facebook groups. haha. or you can try ask this seller - http://www.mudah.my/din6a12

I saw he just upload a mivec CJ head. :burnout:
i on the other hand usually ask through workshops or spare part shops. was shopping at a chop shop in klang few months ago, came across a complete 4G92 with wiring and ecu going for RM1.8K. time for another visit soon :ridinghorse:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
i on the other hand usually ask through workshops or spare part shops. was shopping at a chop shop in klang few months ago, came across a complete 4G92 with wiring and ecu going for RM1.8K. time for another visit soon :ridinghorse:
4G92 dohc or single cam? RM1.8k without gearbox ah? Damn cheap....:driver:

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
4G92 dohc or single cam? RM1.8k without gearbox ah? Damn cheap....:driver:
its a dohc, without gearbox. my father and the boss are Land Cruiser kakis, perhaps kawan price? he did joke that he could sell that engine to me as a 4G93 cos they look identical. which suddenly got me wondering on the dimensional differences between two, since both can be swapped on each other's head/block easily. you have any pointers?:hmmmm:

Last edited:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

i buy tps and isc from DDT too. Nice guy. Share a lot of info.
i dont get free depo racing gauge....ya. Sincere statement. :biggrin:

Last edited:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
its a dohc, without gearbox. my father and the boss are Land Cruiser kakis, perhaps kawan price? he did joke that he could sell that engine to me as a 4G93 cos they look identical. which suddenly got me wondering on the dimensional differences between two, since both can be swapped on each other's head/block easily. you have any pointers?:hmmmm:
92 and 93 the difference is the porting and stroke. U can use 92 head on 93 block but need to port match. u can check the block for the engine number if you're unsure it's a 93 block or a 92. Mitsu mark their engine model and number on the block.

Wah. Got any nice steerings ah at that shop? :biggrin:

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
92 and 93 the difference is the porting and stroke. U can use 92 head on 93 block but need to port match.

Wah. Got any nice steerings ah at that shop? :biggrin:
ahhh so still need to do mild modification to the block to ensure fit right? i intend to retain its 93 identity if possible. its all these little details from yall fellow owners i need, can have better judgement when shopping :proud: tenkiu!

i'll be sure to keep an eye on that the next i visit! what sort are you looking for?

Last edited:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
ahhh so still need to do mild modification to the block to ensure fit right? i intend to retain its 93 identity if possible. its all these little details from yall fellow owners i need, can have better judgement when shopping :proud: tenkiu!

i'll be sure to keep an eye on that the next i visit! what sort are you looking for?
Eh? U can use 92 block and swap all the 93 internals in it if u can't find 93 block. 92 pistons slightly higher comp than 93. But the bore is the same. 93 got longer stroke but the the crank can fit into the 92 block. Best is to find 93 block kosong and 93 head kosong and swap. Your dad's friend can sure find 93 dohc set for cheap right?

I'm looking for MOMO 4 spoke gsr steering or Nardi 4 spoke. If can't find, I'd settle for MOMO Corse 3 spoke. It's funny when you're not looking for steerings it just pop up everywhere. When you're looking for one, u cant find any. :sleep:

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Eh? U can use 92 block and swap all the 93 internals in it if u can't find 93 block. 92 pistons slightly higher comp than 93. But the bore is the same. 93 got longer stroke but the the crank can fit into the 92 block. Best is to find 93 block kosong and 93 head kosong and swap. Your dad's friend can sure find 93 dohc set for cheap right?

I'm looking for MOMO 4 spoke gsr steering or Nardi 4 spoke. If can't find, I'd settle for MOMO Corse 3 spoke. It's funny when you're not looking for steerings it just pop up everywhere. When you're looking for one, u cant find any. :sleep:
i see, depends on im replacing the head or block correct? good to know :idea: i asked him before but there wasn't any, the time i was there he had a shipment of R20s and K24s, some Toyota engines and only ONE mitsu 4G92.

nice taste! no promises but i'll pm you to exchange contact before going so we can communicate easier. i think these kinda things needa pray hard wan :adore: as i also need the force to help me find a 93

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To all pros out there, i need an advice from all of you as i plan to get a new car. My budget is around 60-80k. Ford, Kia, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Pegeot and Proton; which one is better and worth the price. I'm looking for long term, hope you guys can help out.

Thank you in advance..!!!:biggrin::biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience