FeaturesFormula 1MalaysiaMotorsports

Nabil and Akash to represent Malaysia in the GP2 and GP3 support races!

_DSC0109

The Malaysian GP has always been the must-go event for die-hard local motorsport fans. And for the 18th edition of the Malaysian GT, the show will be further intensified with not only the recent agreement pf the Formula One Management (FOM) to hold the prestigious GP2 and GP3 races, but also with local talents Nabil Jeffri and Akash Neil Nandy participating representing Jalur Gemilang on the grid as well.

_DSC0122

Nabil will be racing a full season with the Arden International GP2, and same goes to Akash with Jenzer Motorsport in GP3. Both of the race series will commence on 13 May 2016 in Barcelona with 11 rounds set for GP2, and 9 for GP3. Both the series will make its stop at Sepang International Circuit for their penultimate round on 2 October 2016. The event today was officiated by the Minister of Youth and Sport Malaysia Khairy Jamaluddin, accompanied by Dato’ Razlan Razali, CEO of SIC.

_DSC0105

_DSC0125

“Having Malaysian drivers competing during the 2016 Formula 1 Malaysia Grand Prix in Sepang is undoubtedly something that the local fans have been yearning for. Both GP2 and GP3 are talent development series for drivers aspiring to achieve the coveted F1 driver position. Ardent fans of F1 in Malaysia will now be able to follow not just the F1 but also the GP2 and GP3 through the 2016 race calendar that will take our Malaysian boys through a thrilling season,” said Dato’ Razlan.

_DSC0132

“We are pleased that the F1 is emulating MotoGP with the inclusion of the GP2 and GP3 as support races. This is what we, as the organizer and promoter of the Malaysian F1, have been asking for to make it more exciting for local fans, especially with the participation of young Malaysian talent this year,” he added.

_DSC0119

Nabil kick started his racing career back in 2008 and 2009 where he became the Overall Champion at the Asia Max Challenge (Rotax). Finishing 6th in the Rotax Max Grand Finals 2009, he continued racing with JK Racing Asia Series in 2012 and the ATS Formel 3 Cup in 2014, finishing both in 2nd overall. Nabil was also the youngest driver ever to test a Formula One car where he conducted straight-line aerodynamic duties for Lotus at the age of 16.

“This has been my lifelong dream and I am living it out in front of my fellow Malaysians – that is an adrenaline rush like no other. The Sepang Circuit is one many drivers find challenging, so I hope my experience on this track will help my performance, and I will do Malaysia proud,” said Nabil.

_DSC0127

Akash Neil Nandy is a rising Malaysian star where he was recently awarded the McMillan Woods Racing Star Award 2016 in the Chequered Flag of the Year category. Starting at the Rotax Max Challenge Malaysia back in 2010 with a 2nd place finish, he managed to wow the crowd by clinching the 3rd place in overall championship of the Formula Masters China Series in 2013. His other notable achievements include being one of the youngest to grab pole position at Macau GP and being the youngest driver to participate in a Le Mans Series.

_DSC0120

“I am honoured to be part of our national racing agenda and that my love for racing will be an inspiration for all young Malaysians to strive tirelessly to achieve their dreams and goals,” said Akash.