WTB : Silvia Spec R 6 speed Manual with Aero Kit

silviatub

Jan 7, 2008
Hi Mates,

Im a newbie and would like to know the current going price for a Silvia Spec R 6 speed Manual with Aero Kit. My budget is < RM110k and would prefer an unregistered and stock standard version. Please refer to the attached photo as this is the type of bodykit im looking for. :deal: :biggrin:

I had a SR20 DET engine in my first car and would love to revert back because of its robustness and reliability.

Also, kindly share what are the common problems associated with this car so that i can shop accordingly.

Thanks.

:driver:

Attachments

silviatub

Jan 7, 2008
Hi Mates,

Any feedback? Any form of help is highly appreciated.

:driver:

slide_it

Known Member
Oct 31, 2007
so far ive nvr seen an aero s15 here. all mostly vertex or dmax or uras. worse comes to worse get a frp copy one. beggars cant be choosers.

s15's are goin down in price. 2nd hand car market not doing very well. either u wait or if u lucky grab one when u see a good deal.

s15 common problem...the famous vct rattle.

Maz87

Known Member
Nov 27, 2006
hmm.....Budget for RM110k, i think see before tat is at klang if not mistaken with Purple colour and stock standard all. This i saw in Motor-trader last months...

Actually i just get my silvia S15 in RM123k 2001year. So well friendly buy for this car...and very happy to get this negotiate prices from 130k til 123k.. As for sure Silvia already not coming in malaysia with recond car ,cause of 5 years AP already reach. So nowsday those Use car there have siliva also prices open in RM130k above... some i see before RM140 to 150k over...best price is RM145k also got....

Cheers

Last edited:

silviatub

Jan 7, 2008
Hi slide it,

The VCT rattle that you described is it from the inlet cam VCT actuator? Can this problem be resolved? Does it do any damage to the valvetrain?

silviatub

Jan 7, 2008
Hi slide it,

I have seen an aero kitted version in kl city centre last year...i just love the front bumper...does it belong to anyone here?

:hmmmm:

Attachments

slide_it

Known Member
Oct 31, 2007
silviatub: yeah on the intake side. the rattle happens usually on cold starts due to the cam gears not being lubricated enough. there are temporary solutions and permanent ones.

i dont think it would do much damage to the engine itself. just gets really annoying.

vct should happen during idle. it shouldnt happen while in gear and moving abt becos the gears are being lubricated. after starting the car, if u rev it in neutral and theres no rattle, then its prolly lifters not the vct gears. if u engage into gear and give it a lil rev past 2000 rpm and the noise goes away, but rattle returns once u idle, then its vct.

other possible causes that would make the rattle is sprockets, timing chain tensioner, timing chain guide, hydraulic lifters, solenoid valve

temporary solution, use thicker oil or revving it a bit during idle. permanent fix to vct problem is to upgrade the cam gears, cams. (u would lose the vct). to avoid it, change ur oil regularly.

btw i dont know whos car is that but i think in future u should blackout the plates :) cheers

Last edited:

silviatub

Jan 7, 2008
Hi slide_it,

Thanks for the info...its very helpful indeed...

Besides the VCT problems, any other gremlins to look for? How about the interior, suspension and drivetrain? Any particular electrical/sensor related problems?

I was told the JDM spec comes a garrett T28 ball bearing turbo...is this correct?

p/s : will blank off the number plate next time.

silviatub

Jan 7, 2008
Hi Mivec-Turbo,

Thanks for the info.

Any other feedback regarding common problems with Spec R?

slide_it

Known Member
Oct 31, 2007
mivec-turbo: honestly im still confused whether its VCT or VTC.

VCT = variable cam timing.
VTC = valve timing control. (as per s14 handbook)

silviatub: well since u in kl and msia is a freakin furnace, u might wanna check the whole airconditioning system is working. cos if the compressor is fkd, it would cost a lot. also check the digital climate control is working and cool air is coming out of the vents. stock water temp gauges are not very accurate. if u are afraid of overheating issues, get an aftermarket gauge. additionally a better radiator.

someone did post the same question but its not s15. irregardless, they are still both turbo cars and not the newest cars around. so symptoms shud more or less be the same. things to check

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

December 3rd marked the day of the rotaries. RX-8 Club Malaysia collaborated with RX-7 Club Malaysia to host this spectacular event, where all Wankel powered vehicles gathered for a day out together. The event started early in the morning at 8AM in Puchong, where the cars gathered for a roll call prior to driving to Cyber Jaya Sports Arena, where the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience