WTA Tips before buying - Airtrek 2.0 Turbo 2003

qamarl

Jul 1, 2012
selangor
hi guys ...i'm new here, i need an advise and tips from otai2 before buying an airtrek.
How to make sure the car is in a good condition? Maintenance cost? wht petrol highly suggest.. ron97 or ron95? and etc ...hopefully you guys can help me before i make my decision.....thkssss

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
HI Bro,

Buying an Airtrek is just like buying any other used cars. Addtionally for the turbo version, you might wanna check the following:

Visual inspection (pretty standard checks)
- Check the engine bay for any oil stains. Usually, car dealers washed them clean but you will still see marks after they washed off. Check around the rocker cover to ensure it's not wet.
- Check for absorbers, should not be 'wet'.
- Check for body smoothness, interior cushion, weird smell for aircond etc.
- Ensure no leaks

During test drive:
- Pedal to metal to ensure the car doesn't jerk. Many Airtrek Turbo has this problem. It could be a variety of issues ranging from simple plug issue all the way to turbo or even MAF sensor which is not cheap to replace.
- Gearbox, drive fast and drive slow, do not turn on the audio and listen with windows close for any abnormalities, ensure no jerking, clanking and gear change is noiseless. Try the same with manual mode too.
- Go over uneven road surfaces to sense any under carraige noise.
- Drive up to 80kph and brake hard, make sure ABS works and steering don't vibrate.

Fuel consumption is about 7km/L for stock Airtrek Turbo in city and around 9-10km/L on highways. Local USF version may use 95 if it's completely stock. Otherwise, only 97.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

By the way, if you're in KL, I recomend you to drive the car to our well known Airterk mechanic - Ah Wah. If you need more details, let me know.

qamarl

Jul 1, 2012
selangor
thks bro stutzedward, btw i'm in KL... can u PM me the detail about ah wah, hopefully soon i'll become an airtreker. last week tested the car...everything goes fine except for a bit vibration when i tried press brake at 140kph. Today, ll go there again for a 2nd inspection test with my friend....if you free bro come along at batu 7 selayang. Thks again.....

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Sure bro, I'll PM you the details. Sorry, weekday working late, can't make it. Do share picture of your ride when you got it.

AvanT

Custom fabricator & CNC machining
Mar 20, 2009
Good info & advise from Bro Stutz :)
And after getting your trek, U MUST send the car to a mechanic familiar with Evos or Airtreks. Have them do a thorough check, change engine oil, gearbox oil, radiator fluid, & replace these critical components, IF NECESSARY: timing belt, water pump, aircon/power-steering main belt. Do these preventive maintenance & it will save U a lot of headcahe & repair bills in the long run. Happy trekking =D

Last edited:

qamarl

Jul 1, 2012
selangor
thks bro AvanT.

[/COLOR]sory ...my frenz forgot to take pic on engine part. Thks bro AvanT and stutzedward for advise:proud:

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I can only check out the pictures this evening.. too bad, can't see now. So bro, you have confirmed the car? Did you call Ah Wah?

qamarl

Jul 1, 2012
selangor
I can only check out the pictures this evening.. too bad, can't see now. So bro, you have confirmed the car? Did you call Ah Wah?
yeah bro...i did, he told me to check everythng included gearbox and etc. that airtrek was bought 2003 and CBU unit by MMC used by CEO. They give me a copy of car grant shown tht the car was originally black paint and services by MMC. 3 banks already approve my loan and wait anothr 2 bank for comparison. If i bought tht car....they oso give 3 month warranty.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Ah, I see the pictures now. Not too bad, very clean and original. Please ensure you perform the engine condition test as suggested by us :)

The front bumper fog lamp is not original though.

qamarl

Jul 1, 2012
selangor
previous owner put a grill on fog lamp. i did tested the engine ..so far i'm satisfy, bro can u post a pic of original fog lamp? thks

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Ahh... that's the protective grill lah... :) Attached is the picture of the original fog lamp.

Attachments

qamarl

Jul 1, 2012
selangor
halo airtreker, wht the best tire for 17" rim...planning to buy an evo 9 sport rim...who got and want to lets go PM me.....thks.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Ahh... that's the protective grill lah... :) Attached is the picture of the original fog lamp.
will ask them to change to original fog lamp

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
The original fog lamp is very expensive. If I remember correctly, it's RM650 per side. If you want them to change for you, I guess they'll either get from chop shop or maybe those from accessories shop. Or even, they won't change for you. Mine cracked (as it's glass), I am also looking for those in accesories shop ones. Can use ok la, no need to be so original.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

One more thing I noticed. The carbon fiber on the dash, it looks like stickers to me (with 3D effect). Is it smooth or 3D? Original is smooth and shinny. Your carbon fiber pattern is also very big, compared to mine.

This is mine, see closely.

qamarl

Jul 1, 2012
selangor
The original fog lamp is very expensive. If I remember correctly, it's RM650 per side. If you want them to change for you, I guess they'll either get from chop shop or maybe those from accessories shop. Or even, they won't change for you. Mine cracked (as it's glass), I am also looking for those in accesories shop ones. Can use ok la, no need to be so original.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

One more thing I noticed. The carbon fiber on the dash, it looks like stickers to me (with 3D effect). Is it smooth or 3D? Original is smooth and shinny. Your carbon fiber pattern is also very big, compared to mine.

This is mine, see closely.
yup...the dash it not carbon fiber...i noticed tht too at first...don't know it cover by 3d sticker or originally like tht...they told me original. will check it again...thks for remind me bro.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi

I asked before about shop's in KL before and was told about Sunway as per this thread

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=464273

I went there and enjoyed looking around, thanks again for who replied

next month I must go to Penang, I will stay Georgetown near the Komtar centre and I must go to the Thai consulate in the morning, but i will have a free afternoon, any shops you can recommend to see?

I need to buy a boost gauge, an oil temp gauge and an oil...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience