Wrap extractor for longer fan's motor lifespan (& reduce engine bay temperature)

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Stock extractor (Wira) they have like a cover/heat shield that seats between the extractor and the aircond and radiator fans. Now I changed the extractor, the extractor is bigger than the stock one and seats closer to the fans. The mechanic I met advise me to wrap the extractor so it will reduce the amount of heat from the extractor reaching the fan's motor (longer motor life span).

How true is this? It will also reduce engine's bay temp right?

Please do comment.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Stock extractor (Wira) they have like a cover/heat shield that seats between the extractor and the aircond and radiator fans. Now I changed the extractor, the extractor is bigger than the stock one and seats closer to the fans. The mechanic I met advise me to wrap the extractor so it will reduce the amount of heat from the extractor reaching the fan's motor (longer motor life span).

Please do comment.
It might melt the fan since its plastic. Bigger and nearer to it right?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
better get it wrapped..

or u can ceramic coat .. but this is expensive :wink:

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Where u guys know a good workshop that can wrap properly for me in klang valley? How much?

D7zul, how expensive it is?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Please do comment.
Seen many just left like that. If moving the air will cool the extractor. When fan runs it will do the same...Original is cast iron block...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ceramico is good :biggrin: But price also good.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Where u guys know a good workshop that can wrap properly for me in klang valley? How much?

D7zul, how expensive it is?
RM1xxx got quoted from Ceramico in sunway..

i think u better wrap it urself.. or get any accessories shop to wrap it for u :wink:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
RM1xxx got quoted from Ceramico in sunway..

i think u better wrap it urself.. or get any accessories shop to wrap it for u :wink:
RM1xxx is for extractor alone? Or also other parts around that price bro?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Remember that the wrap will not hold tight forever. So schedule a long term check on it just to make sure.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Jebatdex,

I have seen proofs that extractor's heat can either

1) shorter life span of the electric fan motor (esp. the aftermarket fan has no heatshield).
2) warp the cage of the electric fan due to heat of extractor (again, the aftermarket's one made of low quality plastic)

My observation is based on NA cars, not turbo cars.

Anyway, the heat will not instant effect the fan. Takes some time to spoil the fan unit.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
This is the photo:

The gap (highlighted in red) between the motor and extractor is (for me) very close. Or maybe I just wrap that particular area of extractor which is closest to the motor? hehe no need to wrap the whole extractor? :confused:

hi ken, my car is 1996 1.6L Satria 4G92, absolutely NA

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
This is the photo:

The gap (highlighted in red) between the motor and extractor is (for me) very close. Or maybe I just wrap that particular area of extractor which is closest to the motor? hehe no need to wrap the whole extractor? :confused:

hi ken, my car is 1996 1.6L Satria 4G92, absolutely NA
I seriously think it will melt the fan since its plastic. How about making a custom heatshield.
Should be cheaper?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, Can i replace MYVI electronic meter into Satria??? Anyone done this before and how many wiring should be modify it? I have saw it fix in GTI. Pls give some comment. Thx!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience