Will LSD affect fuel consumption

t-la

1,000 RPM
May 10, 2005
secret place
nope...

but final drive ratio would change FC...where most LSD have shorter final driver ratio...means on long journey at high speed FC would suffer a bit
'most' lsd have shorter ratio? most also mean a lot. tell me one.
u wont suffer higher fc for long journey if u maintain average 3krpm, same goes to other car.
of course the speed is lower if u use bigger fin.drive (fd) and the bright side is u wont get speedtrap.

not really that way....

A - because the final drive was bolted/welded on the differential itself....so means if u change diff unit with LSD type..most likely it comes with shorter final drive.....no excuses....

B - even if u swapped gearbox....those LSD equipped GB mostly got shorter final drive....dun believe me u can google the gearbox spec.

C - maybe u can retain the final drive if your differential unit comes with bolted final drive tooth...(means can change the tooth)
a - yes its bolted/screw, not welded. ive never seen/heard someone welding their diff to the FD, i dunno about others.
"so means if u change diff unit with LSD type..most likely it comes with shorter final drive"...
exuse me, short mean what..4.1?? please explain 'shorter final drive'...bcos my layman term to describe FD is big or small. 4.3 is a baseline as we knew thats the stock supply for c52/56.
so big = >4.3 e.g 4.5-4.7-5.2 etc and small = 4.2,4.0,3.9 and so on....

b - i dont believe u. googling gbox spec for what as they normally didnt equipped with lsd while some does but it didnt change fd though.
people normally, change the differential unit only. FD is another different thing, unless it is welded together as u mention above. u can get a new set of kaaz lsd at some of the perf shop in here, and hey it didnt come with FD. if u swapped with other/different code of gbox (c52 starlet/c60) thats another story bcos they have different final gear ratio.

c - u dont need to change, just take out the old one and change the lsd unit...unless u have alot of different set of final gear. i believe the thread starter here refer to c56 ae111 gearbox...maybe its a different thing to RB's since u are the GTR pomen, or maybe it is defferent to other car/brand...or just like my friend satria since they have few different models and gearbox ratio.

just want to compare between other member here...

first thing is...i drive a 20v bt 5 speed lsd equipped (i assume factory equipped lsd) in a ae 101 corolla...on 15 rims...with 195/55/15 tyres...when traveling at speed of 120km/h engine rpm is around 4k...

come to think of it technically...if it were an open differential and have different final drive ratio...does the rpm have a comparable/noticeable different when traveling at the same speed on other vehicle...???
yes, if u change to different gear ratio. if chnage the lsd unit only it wont affect the speed at all. c52 at 3k rpm normally travel at 92/95kmh. its normal to hit 120kmh at 4k.

"Will LSD affect fuel consumption"
- this is kinda silly question but also make sense. i believe that the owner 'tHrottle power' is concernd about his gripping power since he get more traction by his lsd but somehow more or less it will affect the fc. for the believers.....

"Tyres effect fuel efficiency

It is estimated that about 50% of tyres on the road are under inflated. Aside from increasing the rate of wear, this wastes fuel and decreased your fuel efficiency. Check your tyre pressures every fortnight. Worn tyres will also decrease fuel efficiency (and your safety!), so check the tread regularly. If you are replacing tyres then consider some of the newer 'Eco' tyres that are designed specifically to increase fuel efficiency.

Read more: Car - Fuel Efficiency
http://www.whatprice.co.uk"

one more thing,
im not an expert. i am oso not a qualified person to discuss this 'gearing-ratio' topic since i dont have any certificate in engineering. so, my statement here is totally crap. happy discussion.
peace.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
'most' lsd have shorter ratio? most also mean a lot. tell me one.
u wont suffer higher fc for long journey if u maintain average 3krpm, same goes to other car.
of course the speed is lower if u use bigger fin.drive (fd) and the bright side is u wont get speedtrap.

a - yes its bolted/screw, not welded. ive never seen/heard someone welding their diff to the FD, i dunno about others.
"so means if u change diff unit with LSD type..most likely it comes with shorter final drive"...
exuse me, short mean what..4.1?? please explain 'shorter final drive'...bcos my layman term to describe FD is big or small. 4.3 is a baseline as we knew thats the stock supply for c52/56.
so big = >4.3 e.g 4.5-4.7-5.2 etc and small = 4.2,4.0,3.9 and so on....

b - i dont believe u. googling gbox spec for what as they normally didnt equipped with lsd while some does but it didnt change fd though.
people normally, change the differential unit only. FD is another different thing, unless it is welded together as u mention above. u can get a new set of kaaz lsd at some of the perf shop in here, and hey it didnt come with FD. if u swapped with other/different code of gbox (c52 starlet/c60) thats another story bcos they have different final gear ratio.

c - u dont need to change, just take out the old one and change the lsd unit...unless u have alot of different set of final gear. i believe the thread starter here refer to c56 ae111 gearbox...maybe its a different thing to RB's since u are the GTR pomen, or maybe it is defferent to other car/brand...or just like my friend satria since they have few different models and gearbox ratio.

yes, if u change to different gear ratio. if chnage the lsd unit only it wont affect the speed at all. c52 at 3k rpm normally travel at 92/95kmh. its normal to hit 120kmh at 4k.

"Will LSD affect fuel consumption"
- this is kinda silly question but also make sense. i believe that the owner 'tHrottle power' is concernd about his gripping power since he get more traction by his lsd but somehow more or less it will affect the fc. for the believers.....

"Tyres effect fuel efficiency

It is estimated that about 50% of tyres on the road are under inflated. Aside from increasing the rate of wear, this wastes fuel and decreased your fuel efficiency. Check your tyre pressures every fortnight. Worn tyres will also decrease fuel efficiency (and your safety!), so check the tread regularly. If you are replacing tyres then consider some of the newer 'Eco' tyres that are designed specifically to increase fuel efficiency.

Read more: Car - Fuel Efficiency
http://www.whatprice.co.uk"

one more thing,
im not an expert. i am oso not a qualified person to discuss this 'gearing-ratio' topic since i dont have any certificate in engineering. so, my statement here is totally crap. happy discussion.
peace.
ok u've corrected my mistake...

TQ :adore:

*just some term we use might differ....

n0th1n

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
japan
junk-dealer.blogspot.com
The final drive is the same 4.312, no matter Original LSD, aftermarket LSD if the original owner didn't change it.
what most japanese do is (in case of aftermarket LSD): open a C52 or C56 stock from factory, open the 8 bolts, take out the open-differential, replace it with LSD, put back 8 bolts, and assemble back the gearbox housing.
If change lsd also get shorter gear ratio, very good la.
4.7 Final Drive costs about RM4k++ nowadays and you all said its comes with LSD, wow very good. cannot la sell my TRD Final Drive like this. no value if everybody can have FD. waaaaaa.. (for our toyota, aftermarket's product is not as many as honda's)

wei t-la, share la your movie that shows how/what if the gearbox is equipped with after market final drive here. sure many people would like to see it.

btw, i got kaaz lsd, trd lsd for sale hahhahahhaha (iklan a bit)

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yea yea i know final drive can retain...

but often ppl install LSD for motorsport use would likely fit shorter final drive (bigger ratio) for improved acceleration especially in gymkhana/rally/tight circuit......

thus explaining why i said "most"...maybe i shud replace it with "some" :adore:

tHrottle power

Known Member
Aug 29, 2008
thanks for the discussion and comments....appreciate it......

just wanna add with another question...could you comment on the gearbox fluid that your using. wat is suitable for c56 gearbox with LSD??

thanks

20V Trumpeteer

Known Member
Jan 2, 2010
Kedah

just wanna add with another question...could you comment on the gearbox fluid that your using. wat is suitable for c56 gearbox with LSD??

thanks
If for daily driving, Pennzoil (the yellow bottle), Toyota (the black bottle) or other brand that stated 'for LSD' or 'LSD compatible' will do...but if u r a serious racer, alwiz tarik2 in track, hi-end brand like Torco, motul, Q8 etc are advisable....dont pour it juz for seronok2 aje coz it a waste of money coz it aint cheap...juz my 2 kupang...:driver:

paging for noth1n,t-la and other sifu2 here to enlightened our buddy here including me la...hehehehe

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
My previous BT 5 speed is with Cusco 2 way full-lock LSD. Used Penzoil yellow bottle LSD oil to track SIC. No problem as track SIC for 6-7 times.

If I am not mistaken, last time 5th gear at highway cruising at 120km is around 4000prm already....

20V Trumpeteer

Known Member
Jan 2, 2010
Kedah
My previous BT 5 speed is with Cusco 2 way full-lock LSD. Used Penzoil yellow bottle LSD oil to track SIC. No problem as track SIC for 6-7 times.

If I am not mistaken, last time 5th gear at highway cruising at 120km is around 4000prm already....
ya lor..mine also cruising at 110km/h around 35xx-37xxrpm...feel my ride quite a fuel guzzler...using TRD LSD,unknown bout whether it's 1way,1.5way or 2way but it has been confirmed got LSD...feel confident when attacking the corners and driving on wet condition

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
ya lor..mine also cruising at 110km/h around 35xx-37xxrpm...feel my ride quite a fuel guzzler...using TRD LSD,unknown bout whether it's 1way,1.5way or 2way but it has been confirmed got LSD...feel confident when attacking the corners and driving on wet condition
Mine 2 way LSD when turn corner slow, can hear the sound "tak tak tak" very loud, counter counter counter. Kind of embarrasing as ppl think our driveshaft is gone...Lolz...

But when on SIC track, superb corner with no sound at all...And it's really grip & in & out corner is damn good...:biggrin:

tHrottle power

Known Member
Aug 29, 2008
thanks, for the info....i think i will try motul or liqui moly........yes....i m sensing my AE111 also being a fule guzzler

boode

Known Member
Jul 11, 2006

thanks
im no sifoo but just want to share wht type of LSD oil im using...
c56 + 1.5 lsd = using redline...superb, change gear smooth... selling 1l/ per bottle
C160 + 1.5 lsd = using motul..also nice...and selling 2l/per bottle
if u are using full lock better get a proper lsd gear oil cz its differ with the 1.5...my fren using redline for c160 full lock..cz its said on the manual for the used of full lock...
as we all knw lsd is kinda expensive so better usd proper oil for longer lasting usage..

happy motoring :)

t-la

1,000 RPM
May 10, 2005
secret place
wei t-la, share la your movie that shows how/what if the gearbox is equipped with after market final drive here. sure many people would like to see it.
wei...i only make video if i get paid, u wanna pay me ka? i giv u full hd one.. hahaha

yea yea i know final drive can retain...

but often ppl install LSD for motorsport use would likely fit shorter final drive (bigger ratio) for improved acceleration especially in gymkhana/rally/tight circuit......

thus explaining why i said "most"...maybe i shud replace it with "some" :adore:
no doubt. 100% agree. thats what we call 'advance user's :evil:.

thanks
no komen, most if the trusted brand is good.

km_chew

Known Member
Aug 10, 2004
Penang
Bought a new Kaaz LSD and replace the stock Helican Torsen in my C160 .. no diff in fuel comsumption ..

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Sifu out there, if my understanding is correct, there is no such thing as "full lock" LSD right? I mean no matter what LSD it is, be it 1way, 1.5way or 2way, it will still slip... which is why it is still called "Limited Slip Differential".

AFAIK, only those welded (or custom) differential on RWD drift cars are full lock type.

If this is right, I hope others will understand bout LSD and there's no such thing as full lock LSD. Thanks...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i believe 2way lsd also full lock.... :adore:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Guys,

need help...
looking for:-

i) Bilstein B8 Sprint absorbers Front and Rear
ii) Strut Bar

for my 2004 Honda Civic 2.0 i-Vtec;

or if there n e suggestion 4 a better absorbers and strut bar. TQ

p/s: I've already fitted eibach springs w OEM absorbers. The Eibach is very good and I think Im gonna keep it. therefore just looking 4 the absorbers that goes or fit ngam w the eibach springs.

Many Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience