where can i do chasis strengthening

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
where can i do chasis strengthening / spot weld

gents,

my satria have weird sound fr the firewall/vhouse...i suspect there are some cracks on the chasis...where can i do chasis strengthening? anyone facing this kind of problem? this fun car on turbo engine 370whp and i did thrash it quite often...my suspension very stiff, slightly better than horse riding :biggrin:

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
spot weld better la...

if just do on firewall..later other area also need to strenghten too...so quite a few time need to do..why not langsam done in one time...

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
spot weld better la...

if just do on firewall..later other area also need to strenghten too...so quite a few time need to do..why not langsam done in one time...
pomen, i also thinking to spot weld but i curious of few things:
-spot weld the chasis can cure those glitching sound?
-will it affect puspakom inspection in the future?
-where can i do it, any workshop to recommend?

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
gents,

my satria have weird sound fr the firewall/vhouse...i suspect there are some cracks on the chasis...where can i do chasis strengthening? anyone facing this kind of problem? this fun car on turbo engine 370whp and i did thrash it quite often...my suspension very stiff, slightly better than horse riding :biggrin:
Hang on. You suspect the chasis is cracked but you don't actually know for sure right?
Have you gotten this checked out yet or have is it the noise that makes you think that its due to a cracked chassis? Not an easy thing to do so how did it happen?

just do SPOT WELD all over the chasis ....

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

just kidding ...
spot weld better la...

Isn't it dangerous to stiffen something that is already cracking? You're not repairing it but simply making it stiffer so it doesn't flex etc. Won't that place undue stress on the chassis causing it to ultimately give way?

Plus, is it confirmed a chassis related crack? Kind of hard to diagnose on a forum

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
pimpin...normally ppl would repair the crack (patch with sheet metal/welding some braces)...including spotweld surrounding area.....

if it was done proffesionally (complete with nice spot-weld and proper sealing compound) i would say possible to pass puspakom....

-but to think it back...are u sure it was crack firewall????or is it because of torn lower-arm bushing???got sound ktok-ktuk-tug-guk when braking or accelerating sometime when going on rough surface

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
pimpin...normally ppl would repair the crack (patch with sheet metal/welding some braces)...including spotweld surrounding area.....

if it was done proffesionally (complete with nice spot-weld and proper sealing compound) i would say possible to pass puspakom....

-but to think it back...are u sure it was crack firewall????or is it because of torn lower-arm bushing???got sound ktok-ktuk-tug-guk when braking or accelerating sometime when going on rough surface
Hmm ok then. I didn't think Puspakom were that thorough also

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
my foreman did check the lower carriage and changed most of the bushings but the sound still there...while driving u can hear the sound very obvious fr behind the dashboard on the left...it is like metal hitting sound, like someone knock on the fender...i did remove the fender to check but no visible cracks found...anyone can help to rectify:bawling:

Last edited:

Penghanyut

Known Member
Jul 19, 2005
KL
spuzzle,
Try checking the front frame which holds the headlight and radiator. A friend once experienced this.

Btw, I don't think its worth to do spot-welding on a road legal car. First of all, JPJ dont allow spot welding on the chassis if I'm not mistaken (hence you can't sell your car anymore). 2ndly, *touch wood* if accident happens, the whole chassis is gonna be affected cos its already too stiff. There are no points which could absorb the impact.

Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
my foreman did check the lower carriage and changed most of the bushings but the sound still there...while driving u can hear the sound very obvious fr behind the dashboard on the left...it is like metal hitting sound, like someone knock on the fender...i did remove the fender to check but no visible cracks found...anyone can help to rectify:bawling:

have u check anti rollbar bushing???steering rack bushing?

maybe u need to use lift jack and see throughly from below....try focus on the panel where floor meets the firewall...(my satria looks like the gap between 2joint panel has widen..but still safe for stock engine for me) :driver:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
If you want you could try autofoam... but I dont see how it helps your firewall :hmmmm:. All the best anyways dude.

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
spuzzle,
Try checking the front frame which holds the headlight and radiator. A friend once experienced this.

Btw, I don't think its worth to do spot-welding on a road legal car. First of all, JPJ dont allow spot welding on the chassis if I'm not mistaken (hence you can't sell your car anymore). 2ndly, *touch wood* if accident happens, the whole chassis is gonna be affected cos its already too stiff. There are no points which could absorb the impact.

Please correct me if I'm wrong :)
Thanks.

have u check anti rollbar bushing???steering rack bushing?

maybe u need to use lift jack and see throughly from below....try focus on the panel where floor meets the firewall...(my satria looks like the gap between 2joint panel has widen..but still safe for stock engine for me) :driver:
the sound very obvious fr the top, not underneath and my mechanic did check / changed most bushings

If you want you could try autofoam... but I dont see how it helps your firewall :hmmmm:. All the best anyways dude.
autofoam? any idea how much to fill all the ratholes? good for noise reduction too

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I think there's 2 places where you have to check:

1. Inside the dashboard. The sound could be from loose plastic parts, aircond blower, car body/frame parts inside the dashboard, loose connector, screw, bolts etc. Tighten all the screws, nuts and bolts inside the dashboard. But be careful not to overtighten them.

2. Maybe the sound comes from the area where your windshield/front glass meets the body? Whenever a car hits a bump, the majority of the impact is absorbed by the tyre, then the spring/absorber and finally the remaining impact force is transmitted to the car body. The force is greater since you use very stiff suspension. The body/frame can flex a bit and it will go back to its original state since it's made of metal, but glass cannot.

Just my 2 cents :wavey:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Thanks.

the sound very obvious fr the top, not underneath and my mechanic did check / changed most bushings

autofoam? any idea how much to fill all the ratholes? good for noise reduction too
It cost 2k for my wagon... A,B,C,D pillars, front to back the works but its priced so high cause my wagon falls under the wagon category :bawling:. Hatchbacks are cheaper.

The foam got rid of the tailgate squeak though. It might help if your front submember area there is squeaking... :biggrin:

Areoulz

Known Member
Aug 2, 2005
Malaysia
My old satria face the same problem before. the wheelhouse which mount the absorber has been cracked from the wall due a couple time accidents and make an annoying sound. So I take the extreme solution.. Find a mivec front 'bangkai' take the wheelhouse and front frame, replace and welded back to my car..

Unfortunately when I go to puspakom to do B5 inspection (change name/sell car) they spot the difference under my carriage between the original body and the new wheelhouse, and my car not pass.. They ask me to PG10 at main state JPJ to do more throughly technical inspection..

So from my experience, if you really want to do this, please find a very experience workshop to do the job. Put a tar or thick black antitrust below your car after and make sure ur engine bay body use the same color as the rest of ur car.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi everyone..i run a 1996 tiara..the engine uses carburettor and recently i noticed there's smell of petrol coming from my engine..sent it to the mech and asked him to check..after checking, he said something behind my carb leaked and needed to be replaced..i got 2 options:

1. Replace the entire carb which would cost me 880 for a new one as the torn part which is rubber cannot be replaced. No replacement parts.

2. Rebuild the carburettor with a carburettor rebuild kit which would cost...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience