What RPM when shifting gear (manual)

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
My fren prefers to manually shift gear (low to higher) whenever the needle reaches 4k rpm. Nothing lower than that. He like to tarik longer becoz it feels sportier getting stuck to his seat. He oso like the exhaust note.

My mechanic tarik and then change gear, just by listening to the engine rev. He says only greenhorns look at rpm meter when driving on the road wor.

As for me, I tarik until 3k rpm becoz wanna safe petrol, Besides, my car engine oredi old old and vibrates oso. So, 3k rpm is enuf for me.

So, at what RPM you guys tarik before changing gear? why? :driver::driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My fren prefers to manually shift gear (low to higher) whenever the needle reaches 4k rpm. Nothing lower than that. He like to tarik longer becoz it feels sportier getting stuck to his seat. He oso like the exhaust note.

My mechanic tarik and then change gear, just by listening to the engine rev. He says only greenhorns look at rpm meter when driving on the road wor.

As for me, I tarik until 3k rpm becoz wanna safe petrol, Besides, my car engine oredi old old and vibrates oso. So, 3k rpm is enuf for me.

Driving auto so most of the time the car decides to change up by about 2k rpm only. :biggrin:
But if want to go fast, I switch it to semi auto sport mode, then I never shift up before 4k rpm to maintain the power band, most often right up to red line @6.5k rpm for my current car.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Some people prefer to shift by eyeing the tachometer but downside of it is that your eyes aren't totally focused on the road ahead. What happens when they go uphill and car feels underpowered? Do they still wait for the 4K before shifting?

I am old school. Under normal driving conditions, I listen before shifting. Your car is like your wife. Be intimate to her whines. Treat her well by listening to her. Then again, if I am pushing the car hard, I will still need to keep an eye on the meter to avoid over-revving.

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004

Different engine (even same CC) shift point is different, also have to look at gear ratio (be in conventional or CVT)...

Modern pedal shift gearbox SHOULD be around 2.5K RPM for 'smooth' change - where passenger 'almost' cant feel the gear shift at all....

So driver + car must 'combine' as ONE when driving manual shifting... :biggrin::itsme:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Paddle shifter is smoother and quick, no doubt. Some shift so smoothly with little jerk felt. The nice nice one can blip the engine and play with rpm done by ECU. Old skool professional drivers shift gear (short throw samor) so fast, that viewers didnt even notice. Of course, pedal works comes together nicely.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For me depends what road/route. In taman taman can be as low as 2k only, main road 3k, highway 4k sometimes need quick take off can be 5 to 6k even....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Shift gear or release clutch? If drag racing, release clutch can also be quite high rpm .. hehe
Quick take off not drag lah, is on public road......hhahhahahhaha:rofl:

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

the lower rpm you shift, the better fuel consumption u will have, but not so low until your car jerks la.
Car jerks and vibrate, wrong gear liao.....lol:rofl:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Like what g88 said - every car has a optimum shift point. Find out by going Dyno.

But personally last time when I had a manual, I shifted based on mood and engine feel. No point over revving when there's no power and no point revving hard when I want to go slow. All depends.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I have this question all along. A friend told me to shift lower for better fuel economy. My car's FC currently sucks when I shift at 2.8-3k rpm. I was told to shift at around 2.5k rpm. The problem is, my engine has the torque of a k-car engine if i shift at 2.5k rpm. It makes torque high in the rev and makes city driving a B**ch. If I am accelerating super slow, such as in a taman or something, I can shift at 2.5k or even 2k rpm. But is straight off the traffic light, I will get honked at. Even if i step more, the car barely moves.

Another thing I experimented... For my car, if i shift at 2.5k rpm, I need to step more on the gas (more load) to accelerate. I was wondering if the lower rpm can offset the extra load that i apply. I tried one full tank of shifting earlier and gained around 15-20km extra.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All ! Well Im going to get my Laser TX3 soon ( Its an old car lorr , still havent saved enough to buy monster ) . So will be joining zerotohundred as a Ford owner :biggrin:

Btw , of course i want to mod it . Any suggestion where to begin with ? Underhood or exterior ? Or cannot mod liao ? Its a waste or money or what ?

I need Sifus help on modding the engine to make it MORE powerful (im kinda...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience