What does engine torque mean to you?

omnikron

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005
Id like to try to contribute.

Torque is "work done". it is the Twisting force. while Horse power is (in simple terms) Torque x RPM.

Notice how the VW golf 6 TSi has 260Nm of torque but only 160HP, While the Honda civic Type R (FD2R) has "only" 215Nm of torque but 225hp?

the higher the torque, means your car will pull harder, feel more G on your seats, and (if torque is high enough) create wheelspin.
but depending on the engine setup, peak torque will arrive at different RPMs.

As rule of thumb, what car makers want is peak torque to arrive LOWEST possible, and maintain the peak torque AS LONG as possible.

But of course we live in a world of compromises, so what car makers do is either sacrifice top end power and tune the torque to arrive as soon as possible for easy daily driving and good over taking (i.e VW Golf TSi), or sacrifice low end for high end racing needs ( Honda Civic Type R FD2R)

Theoratically, Top speed is controlled by your gear ratio. problem is can your car fight the wind resistance at 180km/h, 220km/h 250km/h.....that is where Horsepower comes in.... the higher the HP, means the car has more Torque at higher RPMs.

Assuming car A has 160Nm or torque @ 4000RPM
Assuming car B has 160Nm of torque @ 6500RPM

automatically Car B will have higher HP readings... but it also means Car b will need a lot of RPMs to FEEL the same pull as Car A.

on the other hand, Car A will feel much easier to drive in city, stop-go situations. which is why Toyota cars feel much easier tot drive than Honda cars because toyota tune their cars for lower torque band.

Sorry for the long winded post. just my 2c contribution.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
omnikoron,

long winded but it was really necessary for ppl like me. thanks.

KLEMANN

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
Torque = refer how much momentum to move the object.
Horsepower = refer how fast the engine speed able to reach high/max-speed (rpm).

letsay,
u drive to genting uphill in petrol engine u need to maintain 3.5k-5k rpm to get da car move faster...
in turbo diesel, u only need to rev from 2k-3k rpm to get same effect as petrol engine.

i would pick higher torque car anytime....
as u dun have to rev up hard till 4-6k rpm to feel G-spot = G-Force :rofl:
turbo diesel only rev up 2k-3k rpm to feel orgasm :biggrin: :thefinger: :driver:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
orgasm? lol.. since u mentioned it, a lot of ppl gonna go for turbo diesel now. hehe.

KLEMANN

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
why not? :biggrin:
if u got a chance to feel a ''thrust'' :nurse: 380Nm at 1,750rpm :driver:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
oh, i certainly wouldnt mind at all. in fact, i would love it.:biggrin:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
More torque = Faster climbing hills = Orgasm

:biggrin:

satria_neo

Aug 1, 2011
Singapore
Torque and HP are related.

You can think of HP as the torque of the engine produced at a certain HP. Same torque at higher RPM = higher HP

HP is the work done by the engine. Its power produced and HP is a unit. It also can be measured in Watts or Joules/s.

tiganasfx

Known Member
Dec 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Horsepower = Torque x rpm / 5252

This is the universal equation that links torque (lb-ft) and horsepower (hp). It doesn't matter whether we are talking about petrol engines, diesel engines or steam engines. If we know the rpm and the torque we can calculate horsepower. If we know horsepower and rpm we can calculate torque by rearranging the equation above.

You can also see that when an engine is turning at 5252 rpm, its torque and horsepower figure is the same. Next time you see a graph of the torque and horsepower of an engine check to see that the lines cross at 5252 rpm. If not then the graph is wrong.

Last edited:

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
tiganasfx said:
Horsepower = Torque x rpm / 5252

This is the universal equation that links torque (lb-ft) and horsepower (hp). It doesn't matter whether we are talking about petrol engines, diesel engines or steam engines. If we know the rpm and the torque we can calculate horsepower. If we know horsepower and rpm we can calculate torque by rearranging the equation above.

You can also see that when an engine is turning at 5252 rpm, its torque and horsepower figure is the same. Next time you see a graph of the torque and horsepower of an engine check to see that the lines cross at 5252 rpm. If not then the graph is wrong.
Bro sorry I don't really get it can you base on the previous dyno chart to tell us the calculation?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all zth'ers.

My charade ascend got a problem with wiring. This problem occurred after I replaced fuel pump.
The symptom is auto gearbox EASY light blink and gearbox act weird. A friend suggest me to add extra ground wire on gearbox and it work for one day.

After that the problem is still occurred. From my troubleshooting, what I have found is the EASY light only blink when there is electrical load, eg. turn on front light or aircon.
What I have done before is:
1-put back old...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience