What causes steering to run away?

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
I am driving a civic eg8 sr4, with new lower arm bush, good tyre and well balanced tyre pressure, i wonder why the steering keep going left...anybody have idea? The parts not touched are the upper control arm with bush(changed 1.5 years ago but cheap 1), lower compliance bush and the bush at the steering rack, will these worn out caused my problem:confused: and i assume the rear bushing not affecting this right?or should i do simple stuff first, do the alignment? But somehow i heard if bushing not good, alignment also no use:confused:pls help:adore:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Run away? Perhaps the steering rack wasn't treating it right so it ran away with the tyres daughter? :rofl:

In all seriousness, upper control arm - cheap one.. that one is highly suspicious.

But have you done alignment? If not probably worth doing that first

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
Alignment not yet done, but previously before change lower arm bush,after alignment it also turn left by itself but it is minimal, now quite noticeable , if release hand, sure turn left by itself

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Same as my car, no matter how many times alignment, still will at least run either left or right a bit. Not much thought so still acceptable.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Same as my car, no matter how many times alignment, still will at least run either left or right a bit. Not much thought so still acceptable.
Your case could be chassis damage since you've had a front end collision until Radiator gone case

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
A bit is consider ok...but mine currently noticeable, maybe worn out upper arm and mis alignment....accident sure will cause this if it is heavy one, butnin my case, colision free car, and the turn left feeling slowly increases(last time when just change all front under carriage parts, minimum self turning only) ...

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
well 1 of my ol' skool neighbours (he's almost 70 & got all driving license except for OKU one) says that, no matter how u do your allignment, if u'r car no power steering u'r car will always slowly turn to the left if u let go the steering, y coz of the road condition for water flow reason, it is sumhow few degrees lower to the left so water can flow out of the tar + if the tar is higher than the ground it will appear more, but car now have power steering so less work to keep u'r car straight but if u let go than straight away u'r car swerve than that is problem, he also advise me, if do allignment, let alone just use the computer & no need to the tyre staff to test & re-adjust. well did not test his theory yet coz right now my allignment is still ok, maybe u can try when you do allignment later:hmmmm:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I am driving a civic eg8 sr4, with new lower arm bush, good tyre and well balanced tyre pressure, i wonder why the steering keep going left...anybody have idea? The parts not touched are the upper control arm with bush(changed 1.5 years ago but cheap 1), lower compliance bush and the bush at the steering rack, will these worn out caused my problem:confused: and i assume the rear bushing not affecting this right?or should i do simple stuff first, do the alignment? But somehow i heard if bushing not good, alignment also no use:confused:pls help:adore:
Bro., you have changed the lower arm and a lot of things were dismantled. Do alignment first then see how it goes...

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Can check one. First is alignment then camber. If camber one side positive and one side negative will pull to one side. Last will be your caster angle. Hopefully did not damage this...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
well 1 of my ol' skool neighbours (he's almost 70 & got all driving license except for OKU one) says that, no matter how u do your allignment, if u'r car no power steering u'r car will always slowly turn to the left if u let go the steering, y coz of the road condition for water flow reason, it is sumhow few degrees lower to the left so water can flow out of the tar + if the tar is higher than the ground it will appear more, but car now have power steering so less work to keep u'r car straight but if u let go than straight away u'r car swerve than that is problem, he also advise me, if do allignment, let alone just use the computer & no need to the tyre staff to test & re-adjust. well did not test his theory yet coz right now my allignment is still ok, maybe u can try when you do allignment later:hmmmm:
Your neighbour might be right about the road, but your steering is not supposed to turn one way like that. If the car is going straight but is leaning to one side when going straight, yes. But if the steering is turning one side because of unlevel roads, that's really extreme!

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I once had the same problem as yours. Check your front camber angle first. They could be the culprit. I swapped my cheapo Taiwan made front upper control arm (UCA) with a pair of adjustable Hardrace front UCA and solved the problem. I'm driving a civic EK.

*I personally think the title is misleading. If you steering 'run away' while you're driving, you could crash instantly lohh, heehee... :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Here are a list of cheap cars as compiled by the Kelley Blue Book. Though it certainly does not apply in this part of the world

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic (Regular Cab Manual WT) - MSRP: $17,015 *NEW CAR BLUE BOOK VALUE: $16,590...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience