What are these meters for

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
cool..
thankz guys for the info.. now i'm all clear with the meters and gauges...
what's a RSM meter for??
RSM also stands for Rev Speed Meter. It shows your engine's revolution in digital form and act as add on tachometer for rev above what the OEM tachometer can show. It's also a speed cut device which means that you can go over 180km/h with the use of RSM as most JDM models the top speed is 180km/h.

It has alot of other functions such as:
Travel Distance, Battery Voltage (All which can be displayed in real time graph mode, numerical mode, or analogue mode; 1-4 channels at a time), Peak Hold, Replay (With 60 second playback), 0-100m, 200m, 400m times with trap speed, 0-100km/h, 200km/h, 300km/h – 0 times, user defined Mid Range Acceleration, Stop Watch functions, Best Time Memory, RPM Warning, Speed Warning, RPM and Speed Outputs (For external devices requiring an RPM or speed signal), Tire Size Correction (For acceleration and timing accuracy). And Vehicle weight input. The new version of RSM has a G force function but you need to get the G-sensor. It measures G forces in 4-way front/rear/left/right directions. This data can be plotted in a graph display to map acceleration characteristics and lateral G’s on the race track.

Hope this helps you.

r0yEE

1,500 RPM
Dec 4, 2008
well it helps out a lot peeps.. thankz much guys..

Bump: well it helps out a lot peeps.. thankz much guys..
now i'm just thinkin

Bump: thinking of what meter to put in my ride:confused:

Bump: thinking of what meter to put in my ride:confused:

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
show ur battery condition loh~~~aiseh~~~u don't tipu tipu dont know lah~~:biggrin:
true la bro, i really dunno ma... hehe..
saw some of the mod car, they got 2 difren Volts meter, thats why i dunno ma..
just explain to me more details ma... pls...

can you explain more detail on this? how do we check?
i'll come back with more details... now busy... sorry...

How about a boast meter :confused::hmmmm:
Boast Meter..?? i oso confuse dy..:confused:

r0yEE

1,500 RPM
Dec 4, 2008
hahahha.. tell me about..
water temp meter we already have our stock ones rite?
the only meter i need now is a speedometer.. which is pretty hard to find a small one.. and i've to change my tachometer in future.. it ain't freakin accurate.. shit!! and it's auto gauge one.. ishkk:banghead:

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
u r so funny la weiii, i'm laufghing in tears !!!:rofl::rofl:
dude...use mr.google first la :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Bump: u r so funny la weiii, i'm laufghing in tears !!!:rofl::rofl:
dude...use mr.google first la :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

r0yEE

1,500 RPM
Dec 4, 2008
who?? me? aww c'mon man... it is true rite? the rest of the meters don't really concern much though.. like vacuum, if you know you're car well enough you will also know if there's leakage..

Bump: who?? me? or jineil?? aww c'mon man... it is true rite? the rest of the meters don't really concern much though.. like vacuum, if you know you're car well enough you will also know if there's leakage..

Bump: who?? me? aww c'mon man... it is true rite? the rest of the meters don't really concern much though.. like vacuum, if you know you're car well enough you will also know if there's leakage..

Bump: who?? me? or jineil?? aww c'mon man... it is true rite? the rest of the meters don't really concern much though.. like vacuum, if you know you're car well enough you will also know if there's leakage..

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
hahahha.. tell me about..
water temp meter we already have our stock ones rite?
the only meter i need now is a speedometer.. which is pretty hard to find a small one.. and i've to change my tachometer in future.. it ain't freakin accurate.. shit!! and it's auto gauge one.. ishkk:banghead:
roy, the stock water temp meter is not that details and dont show u any reading so you dont know how much ur temp is.

For speed meter,you can get Pivot speed meter. It's very small and compact. Won't attract too much attention.

r0yEE

1,500 RPM
Dec 4, 2008
jineil: yea it will kao tim, but it kao tim your pocket too..

yo titan: where can i look for this pivot speed meter? so that means getting those extra meter is better and more accurate? do i need to get all of'em?? besides the boost of course, no turbo:bawling:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

yo titan: where can i look for this pivot speed meter? so that means getting those extra meter is better and more accurate? do i need to get all of'em?? besides the boost of course, no turbo:bawling:
Aftermarket sensors are better than OEM is because they have better accuracy if compare to OEM because OEM manufacturer will tend to produce items with cost in mind. Not to say, OEM meters cannot use but the display might be off by more than 5%. It's ok for normal drivers but for more demanding drivers. It might not suit them.

After market meters like DEFI, HKS Chrono, APEXi, BLITZ,...they are using electronic signals or magnetic to determine the temp or pressure unlike OEM using electrical current and resistor.

The pros of using electronic signals is better because signal lost is minimal and readings are accurate. Less wiring needed. Take DEFI for example...all the sensor has an individual wiring connectted to the controller but output from controller to the meters can use 1 only because each signal of different reading is coded so the signal will know which signal is for which meter.

For common NA cars, you just need Water Temp, Oil temp, Oil Press...

If you have mod your NA engine extensively. I mean with aftermarket fuel rail, bigger injector, larger capacity fuel pumps, piggyback stand alone ECU (HKS F-Con series, Emanage..)..etc..
Then you can add on fuel press, Ext Temp or AF meter.

For turbo cars, normally they will have Boost meter, water temp, oil temp, oil press, ext temp and fuel press.

In the end is still personal preferences. It's your money and how you spend it. If you want to have more meters suggest you go for DEFI because they are using Daisy chain system for all the meters which gives you a more cleaner and tidier look on your dashboard with less wiring. I'm also user of DEFI. If your budget limits you you can get Apexi or you can get 1 meter 1st from DEFI then slowly add on another meter 1 by 1. The DEFI controller unit is very expensive. Is the meters that are expensive only.

If you don't want to display your meter on the dash. DEFI got another gauges called the DIN-gauge. It's a DIN size gauge with 3 meters built in. Very tidy and nice. It's a smaller 52MM gauges. Normal 1 are 60MM.
http://www.defi-shop.com/product/din/din_top.html

For the Pivot speed meter, you can get from Autoequipe at this link:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...w]-pivot-speedmeter-v-blue-led-version-2.html

Hope my post can help you. Happy modding.

Last edited:

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com

ok la... for turbo car is around rm8k++ for a set...:proud:

r0yEE

1,500 RPM
Dec 4, 2008
cool...
so i just get another 3 which is water temp, oil temp and oil pressure meters huh? cause i didn't do much to the engine, just a 1.5 engine..
if the oil tem is too hot or too high means what?
if the oil pressure too low or too high means what??

Bump: how come they didn't state the price for the defi din meters?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
cool...
so i just get another 3 which is water temp, oil temp and oil pressure meters huh? cause i didn't do much to the engine, just a 1.5 engine..
if the oil tem is too hot or too high means what?
if the oil pressure too low or too high means what??

Bro, please read my previous post about temp too high and oil press readings. please~~ I very tired to re-type all lah...:bawling:

For pricing of DIN gauge call to any performance shop in Sunway area and they will be glad to quote you a price.

Another thing I should add is. Aftermarket gauges are using stepper motor for the drive of the needles giving out the readings. To know about stepper motor please read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

Last edited:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
may i add something based on my insignificant knowledge?

if we have a turbo engine... we dun have to put all the mentioned meters right? for example, i;ve just converted to MiraL5 turbo engine... the meters that I think that I want to put are

1. Boost meter - silly me not putting it during the swap.... after i actuator problem (bosting more than 1 bar on stock turbo) then I realised that this is an important meter to be have for a turbo engine
  2. oil temp - necessary to monitor oil temp since turbo engine are quite hot.. and can justify if i need to use an oil cooler or not
  3. intake air temp - to monitor my TMIC temp.... and to know whether my scoop design are adequate to channel cool air in and/or justify the need for a intercooler water spray or not
  4. volt meter - 3 battery kong in one year when using the old engine...i'm not taking any chances wif the new one :burnout:

the item that i think i can live without are
  1. Oil pressure - since I din do much drifting and/or touges, just regularly check the oil level dipstick every weekend
  2. exhaust temp/afr - i'm maintaining stock setup so these monitoring kinda redundant ain't it? :hmmmm:
  3. water temp - yes, the aftermarket ones are more accurate, but for a normal user like me... just knowing that the temp nevel soar more than half point on my stock meter... than its ok

are my views correct?

one more thing..... the most accurate mechanical based meters are suprisingly came from VDO.... an OEM manufacturer for lotsa cars...whereas for electronic base...mostly from japan wif apexi leading.... when i found the article i'll post it here

p/s: can i mod this meter to be my dedicated boost meter?
http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/2009-03DeSale28601724_AUCTION_AMS_Germany_Boost_Vacuum_Compound_Gauge_30psi_45psi.htm

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

how do those ppl raise their bonet for hot air to come out???

need to change de hinge or just selit a piece of metal in between de hinge's mounting?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience