VQ30DE Timing Chain

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
Hi guys

I know that our Motor VQ30DE doesn't have a timing belt but has a timing chain .... has any of u guys sent it for tensioning?

Wat i'm experiencing rite now is at times when I'm accelerating, I could hear some chinning sound from the engine. like a kinda chain sound which is loose.

Have u guys experience this b4? My motor used to be quite until my radiator gave way & I over-heated it a few times before getting it fully fixed. Worried that I might have slightly burned my gasket.

But back to the topic. Where or shall I send my baby to get the timing chain tuned? Any ideas?

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
errr, to my understanding...the chain will not break but only get noisy when it the time has come.
But not sure if can tuned it or not loh!
anyone know when should we change the chain instead?

A329878

Known Member
Sep 24, 2005
JOHOR BAHRU
cgui said:
Hi guys

I know that our Motor VQ30DE doesn't have a timing belt but has a timing chain .... has any of u guys sent it for tensioning?

Wat i'm experiencing rite now is at times when I'm accelerating, I could hear some chinning sound from the engine. like a kinda chain sound which is loose.

Have u guys experience this b4? My motor used to be quite until my radiator gave way & I over-heated it a few times before getting it fully fixed. Worried that I might have slightly burned my gasket.

But back to the topic. Where or shall I send my baby to get the timing chain tuned? Any ideas?

Hi cgui!
Most of time the chinning sound is cause by the timing chain tensioner(refer to picture),this is a wear and tear part should be replace if not good. If you follow the periodic maintenance schedule closely your timing chain should in good condition . I have the similar experience RPM over 3k the chinning sound from the engine, but i found out it from the catalyst converter after the Y pipe.:sad_smile:
You should check your catalyst converter too :regular_smile:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
You overheated the engine??? Not good...aluminium engine...hmmm....

But...if you don't blow the radiator, then your head gaskets should be ok... :smile:

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
actually i overheated it at least a few times. first few times was due to a leaking hose.. which before I could send it for repair it overheated again. lastly i took it to TCEAS & had it repaired with my car towed over there.

2nd time was my radiator fan... u know that the brackets that are connected to the front panel? those bracket broke & my radiator fan loose ... then it overheated & punctured my radiator top .. had it replaced also .. so its been a few times ..

i do hope its the tensioner only .. but any of u guys recommend which workshop to get this fixed?

also am having pretty high FC ..i've remove my center cat & changed my exhaust also using a K&N open pod filter .. previous FC was still OK with those mods ... but now currently getting higher ... dunno wats the problem ....

Ultimate Cefiro

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2006
hmmmm.......cgui i experienced it b4.....fom wut i know......its actually bcoz of the timing chain itself........wut is ur car's mileage and did u change it b4?? if not u better check it....bcoz i oso experience it b4..and oso the engine has auto tensioning system so nothing much to do v the tensioner unless the tensioner 'gong' bcoz it was driven by the pressure of the engine oil..but unfortunately my engine 'gong' oledi b4 i could fixed it....coz my engine oso darn teruk liao........so now im running on 2nd one...... :( cry 4 me.......bought the front 3.0L half cut complete v 4 doors n door visors n comes v chrome handle for RM6000++ 1 year ago so u dun play v dat.......

anyhow.....tok about the VQ engine......cool..........u know i like this engine.....when i 1st bought my car......2 years ago......the engine was very very very teruk.........dunno whether the last owner use up cooking oil instead of engine oil.......the carbon is all over the engine n i bought the half cut 4 dat purpose.....but now onli my car converted around a month ago.....which means it still can stand for 2 years that i onli service the engine 3 times onli 4 these 2 years....( coz wanna change engine.....wanna let it die.....hehehehe overhaul oso wasting time) it is soooo amazing.......but i dun like itz auto transmission...... the lifespan is onli around 7 - 8 years usually.....

Ultimate Cefiro

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2006
additionally, the auto trans oso jerk very easily..........

ya ong u can find the manual for 3.0L ar?????

Ultimate Cefiro

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2006
Dream: my mechanic says that the timing chain is appx. twice lifespan than the belt......so usually should b around 200k but advisable to b 160k or else.....

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
wah like that means i need to change my timing chain oredi lor .. any indication of cost? found these items under timing belt.

Last edited:

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
If the car engine its ok, the timing chain no need to change at 200kkm lah.

I once sat on the B13 Genting cab talk to the driver and also ask about nissan engine. I ask how long have u drove this car with the original engine, he say the engine last him about 700kkm before he swap another one, and only std service

my friend had a A32 1st batch, use for 7 years and run the engine about 400kkm with normal service..

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
there r manual g/box for cefiro a32 2.0...but not in this part of the world...mostly can b found downunder (oz n nz)...

my previous 3.0 engine travelled 350,000km n never encounter any probs with the timing chain...

cgui, if change timing chain, better buy VQ25DE engine kosong...rm2.5k..trade in ur 3.0 engine for rm500..less than rm3k kautim..if change timing chain, i believe its a big job...

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
yeah i also believe if changing timing chain would cost a bomb to me. Better downgrade to 2.5.. also can save on road tax. but is it as easy to find a 2.5 rite now? seems there are more feilo drivers in town now .. hehehe .. also its quite hard.. my friend did ask me a few months back if i wanted 1 unit. just arrive from japan... but at tat time really no $$$...

hey a question .. if engine kosong means only the engine lar... no radiator... ecu... gearbox & stuff izzit?

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
cgui said:
yeah i also believe if changing timing chain would cost a bomb to me. Better downgrade to 2.5.. also can save on road tax. but is it as easy to find a 2.5 rite now? seems there are more feilo drivers in town now .. hehehe .. also its quite hard.. my friend did ask me a few months back if i wanted 1 unit. just arrive from japan... but at tat time really no $$$...

hey a question .. if engine kosong means only the engine lar... no radiator... ecu... gearbox & stuff izzit?
yes...engine kosong only engine nia...nothin else...

how many units u want? :biggrin:

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
wah lau eh ... so go stock in hand lar .. ok .. i need to source my $$$ first before getting it ...