VAFC II "VTEC learning information display"

JA84

Oct 23, 2009
Johore
As per in VAFC II Manual in P54 quote:

VTEC learning information display
In the V-AFC II, the factory status VTEC changeover points are learned and the learning information
is displayed.
2 .Select ? V/T Info? in the etc.
menu. 1 .Select ? etc.? in the main
menu.
Main menu
or
P
etc. menu
or or N
NOTE
and so on......

It does mention....

These learning contents do not affect any setting.
Use them for setting reference only.

Can anybody explain to me?
1) Do we have to set value into this function
2) Or the SAFC II will read by itself from ECU
3) If we need to set the value, it that gonna affect our setting?
4) What actually this function do?

Please help :confused: :banghead: :stupid:

Last edited:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
bro you talking about SAFC or VAFC bro...? i also getting confused :confused:

JA84

Oct 23, 2009
Johore
bro you talking about SAFC or VAFC bro...? i also getting confused :confused:
Ops sorry2.... that was my bad, it is VAFC actually....i was reading both manual at the same time that why i made mistake.... Tq bro

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
bro i am not a tuner...so i might be wrong..but i have a vafc and also the manual...this is what i think...somebody please correct me if i have posted wrong/misleading info

VTEC learning information display
In the V-AFC II, the factory status VTEC changeover points are learned and the learning information
is displayed.
2 .Select ? V/T Info? in the etc.
menu. 1 .Select ? etc.? in the main
menu.
Main menu
what its trying to say,when your VAFC is installed,the VAFC is able to read the original settings/signals being sent by your ECU for VTEC crossover....so if your current crossover is 5.5k rpm,it will tell you its at 5.5k rpm.....

now...the reason for that is because the VAFC can change your VTEC crossover points....based on your engine capabilities and based on how your car is tuned.

if you change the vtec crossover point,you need to retune the fuel map cause if you only change the crossover value,and not tune the fuel,you are still following the old fuel map based on your ECU.....so if you change lets say from 5.5k change to 4k rpm....your ecu will still follow the old fuel map at 4k rpm.......in short,fuel sent when vtec crossover at 4k rpm,will not be enough cause your ECU still thinks your are driving at 4k RPM without VTEC.That is why you need to use the VAFC to re-tune the ECU....

So,yes it will affect your setting if you change your VTEC crossover value.

(actually VAFC is an airflow converter,it adjusts air correction...by changing the air signal,you are changing the Fuel)

not all vtec engines share the same characteristics....so some will benefit at vtec engaging at a lower value some at a higher value....the "BEST" value cant be provided based on BUTT dyno or based on your friends car setting....you need to get it tuned either by dyno or on the road....

hope this helped you to be less confused :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

what car you drive bro ? =]

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
Nice explaination AD,i also not a tuner but hope can learn from u more..hehehe..

Is this VAFC only for Vtec,Mivec or Universal?..
Thanks bro.

for other cars they need to use S-AFC instead cause of the sensors other car uses....the VAFC only uses MAP....SAFC as a few ....if im not mistaken and + the crossover thing cant be used in all the other cars...only on vtec and mivec...

so,i guess better just get SAFC for other cars...and i think can safely say VAFC is not universal.

JA84

Oct 23, 2009
Johore
bro i am not a tuner...so i might be wrong..but i have a vafc and also the manual...this is what i think...somebody please correct me if i have posted wrong/misleading info

what its trying to say,when your VAFC is installed,the VAFC is able to read the original settings/signals being sent by your ECU for VTEC crossover....so if your current crossover is 5.5k rpm,it will tell you its at 5.5k rpm.....

now...the reason for that is because the VAFC can change your VTEC crossover points....based on your engine capabilities and based on how your car is tuned.

if you change the vtec crossover point,you need to retune the fuel map cause if you only change the crossover value,and not tune the fuel,you are still following the old fuel map based on your ECU.....so if you change lets say from 5.5k change to 4k rpm....your ecu will still follow the old fuel map at 4k rpm.......in short,fuel sent when vtec crossover at 4k rpm,will not be enough cause your ECU still thinks your are driving at 4k RPM without VTEC.That is why you need to use the VAFC to re-tune the ECU....

So,yes it will affect your setting if you change your VTEC crossover value.

(actually VAFC is an airflow converter,it adjusts air correction...by changing the air signal,you are changing the Fuel)

not all vtec engines share the same characteristics....so some will benefit at vtec engaging at a lower value some at a higher value....the "BEST" value cant be provided based on BUTT dyno or based on your friends car setting....you need to get it tuned either by dyno or on the road....

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Thanks AD_EG.....

So confirm la.... the "VTEC learning information display" only showing the ECU original RPM setting for VTEC kick-in/crossover point (in other word the VAFC read the ECU original setting).... this value we can't change but read by the VAFC and will not be followed by the engine if we have changed the VTEC crossover setting at the VAFC.

Am i right AD_EG? :rolleyes:

About the fuel correction setting I have read about it.... under V/T UnmtFuel correction at VTEC unmatch setting from the manual... & i understand about it...

Btw thanks for your help bro.....

Actually I'm getting my first VTEC car very soon.... just couple days to go....

Civic EG3 92/96 converted to EG6 body kit without sunroof
B16A engine with:
1) B16B piston + B18CR DC2 ITR head ported, complete with intake manifold
2) CTR gearbox
2) APEXi RSM + VAFC (not sure I or II) + few NRG meters
3) Complete DC2 knuckle set & brake system

Engine had just been rebuild with new B16B piston..... i need to wait until running in (pantang) period finish and planning to dyno tune and see the result.....

I haven't drive or test the car yet.... have to wait the running in period end.... btw i'm getting the car this Friday.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm a new guy in modification scene.... no experience or what so ever.... but have been reading about VTEC stuff since secondary school.... in my hearth I was thinking Original EK9 2000 specs or EP3.... after checking my pocket.... i only can afford to buy this car :confused::banghead: :banghead: because i want a fully loaded car or at least with B16A & 5 knuckle.... so then this is what i get....

Based on the list.... by the time I send the car for dyno, if VAFC Fuel correction tuning is OK, how much would be the expected power i'm getting from my car?

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Nice explaination AD,i also not a tuner but hope can learn from u more..hehehe..

Is this VAFC only for Vtec,Mivec or Universal?..
I think VAFC only for engine with variable valve control system (i.e. Mivec & Vtec)..... because it got function to adjust the VTEC kick-in point...

If fitted to an engine without VTEC it would be unnecessary....

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

the "BEST" value cant be provided based on BUTT dyno or based on your friends car setting....you need to get it tuned either by dyno or on the road....

Hye AD_EG... what is BUTT dyno??
:confused:

Last edited:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
Thanks AD_EG.....

So confirm la.... the "VTEC learning information display" only showing the ECU original RPM setting for VTEC kick-in/crossover point (in other word the VAFC read the ECU original setting).... this value we can't change but read by the VAFC and will not be followed by the engine if we have changed the VTEC crossover setting at the VAFC.

Am i right AD_EG? :rolleyes:
This is correct Bro.?If you add value there it shouldnt affect anything...

to change vtec crossover point you need to go to Setting-V/T Cont.

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

Actually I'm getting my first VTEC car very soon.... just couple days to go....

Civic EG3 92/96 converted to EG6 body kit without sunroof
B16A engine with:
1) B16B piston + B18CR DC2 ITR head ported, complete with intake manifold
2) CTR gearbox
2) APEXi RSM + VAFC (not sure I or II) + few NRG meters
3) Complete DC2 knuckle set & brake system

Engine had just been rebuild with new B16B piston..... i need to wait until running in (pantang) period finish and planning to dyno tune and see the result.....

I haven't drive or test the car yet.... have to wait the running in period end.... btw i'm getting the car this Friday.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm a new guy in modification scene.... no experience or what so ever.... but have been reading about VTEC stuff since secondary school.... in my hearth I was thinking Original EK9 2000 specs or EP3.... after checking my pocket.... i only can afford to buy this car :confused::banghead: :banghead: because i want a fully loaded car or at least with B16A & 5 knuckle.... so then this is what i get....

Based on the list.... by the time I send the car for dyno, if VAFC Fuel correction tuning is OK, how much would be the expected power i'm getting from my car?

but can i just ask, why he just change the piston and sell the car? the reason i am asking,just worried that he is just saying it so that you wont test the car fully,therefore cant find any problems
with the engine on high revs....just be careful k...

the setup seems decent....is the cams already set? or is it in stock settings?if it is not set yet...better set cams before go for dyno save costs....

i am just guessing...you might get more or less around 170~180WHP....depends...where you wanna dyno? cause the tuner is also very important....Where is your location bro?

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

Hye AD_EG... what is BUTT dyno??
:confused:
hehehe...this is just saying...like you are doing dyno base on FEEL...you do setting then drive then see "FEEL" good or not....heheehhe

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
your welcome bro

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I was requested by my GF's parents to buy her a bottle of headlight restoration "potion" last week and i was thinking..."Does those 'potions' really work?" i dont think so...

since they are my coming soon relatives.. i decided to give them a free restoration, since ive never tried it before on other people's cars so it would be kindof a challenge and also an experience. which turned out amazing!

Today's Dr. Restoration's prescription
ONR NO Rinse Wash
OPT Hyper Compound
OPT Hyper...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience