V-tec Vs Mivec

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
Could be. According to the article i posted the Mivec was rated at 175ps vs the B16A 170ps. If power band played a factor and weight (that being the Cyborg was slightly lighter) i would assume the Mivec would have been faster. But that was not the case. Perhaps it was chassis tuning that played a bigger role, not just the shorter ratios of the B16A's YS1 gearbox.

Bump: I found the actual review videos that the articles were based on.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBlEYDDngFY

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ5vW8eAbU4&feature=related

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45HDHMlUGJs&feature=related

Here is the new updated ZR being compared to the other 1.6L cars.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kWU2WUtOew&feature=related

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmkESfbOUO8&feature=related

Couldn't find part 3.

This is a video of the Mirage in a race with other FF NA machines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5s9lcejWQ&NR=1

In the 1st review of the Cyborg in 1993 it was painfully evident that the Cyborg's 3rd gear ratio let it down vs the Civic EG6. Not only that, the EG6 also had a longer wheel base which probably gave it more stability.

Interesting videos.

Last edited:

JackWaiKit

Known Member
Aug 9, 2008
www.friendster.com
Any idea of better gearbox to improve Mivecin order to fight with VTEC?
Can just rojak the 3rd gear?
Well i panic on this!!!:banghead:

Bump: Any idea of better gearbox to improve Mivecin order to fight with VTEC?
Can just rojak the 3rd gear?
Well i panic on this!!!:banghead:

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
I guess research needs to be done on where to get a custom set of gear ratios. I think with a 4.7 final drive the Mivec should out perform the B16A. But the same can be said of the B16A.

Or you could get your rev cut set to 9000rpm (not safe for stock motors) and then shift into 3rd gear which would allow you to be in the sweet spot of the rpm range.

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
Guys,

Wanna shares my real-world experienced owned a Lancer CK with CJ4A 4G92 mivec engine+ manual transmission. Car stock standard inside-outside. BTW, I've owned it from 2001-2005, before settled down with DOHC Vtec H22A Euro R and CT9A until now.

IMHO, stock to stock Mivec CJ4A would able to out-run a B16A and mivec C4A anytime. In fact, the 8300rpm redline was easily achievable from 1st-4th.

real-time Speed vs gear positions for Mivec Cj4A :- (all RSM reading-max rev until cut-off)

1st gear : 83++rpm : Speed 62kmh
2nd gear : 83++ rpm : 103kmh
3rd gear : 83++ rpm : 148kmh (sometime 150kmh,depends on load)
4th gear : 83++ rpm : 198 kmh (sometime 200kmh, depend on load).
5th gear : 73++ rpm : 237kmh (topspeed. Tried many times. Car seems out-breath at that rpm).

Mivec strong gears from 2nd->5th.

As for the topic, since most of us comparing mivec CA with B16A and we all knew that mivec CA technology consider obselute nowadays, that the main reason why mivec CA always lost to B16A, on stock comparison.

HOWEVER, To my surprissed, my first impression on H22A DOHV Vtec euro R while taking possesion of the car in 2005 not so impresive, due to the gear ratio. FYI, both ratio vs speed for 2.2cc Euro R and 1.6cc mivec CJ4A are almost the same...in fact Mivec CJ4A better by 15%. it would be suprised if we put high-cam on Mivec CJ4A and run side-by side by euro R, I believe the CJ4A would easily wiped Euro R anytime!!.

Accord euro R gear ratio vs speed : (RSM readings, readline-stock car) :-

1st gear : 78++rpm : Speed 60kmh
2nd gear : 78++ rpm : 100kmh
3rd gear : 78++ rpm : 144kmh (sometime 150kmh,depends on load)
4th gear : 78++ rpm : 194 kmh (sometime 200kmh, depend on load).
5th gear : 73++ rpm : 241kmh (still have 10% to go , but I believe topspeed should be around 245kmh)

In reality, on stock-stock & same range cc/factory hp, I do beleive the Mivec is not as bad as we think.

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
Nobody ever said Mivec engines were bad.

But in a stock for stock comparison there are reasons why a B16A in a Civic EG hatch chassis was faster than a Mivec 4G92 in a Cyborg R chassis.

I believe the tests are meant to be all around like track test and acceleration tests, not just top speed tests.

In the end (this has been mentioned before), it boils down to money. There are people in New Zealand that have put a FTO Mivec engine into their Cyborgs, catch my drift?

No doubt with small but significant mods a Mivec 4G92 would be a formidable engine but then it wouldn't be stock right? ;)

Not easy to compare modified with modified.

But i wonder whether anyone has slapped a Mivec 4G92 into a Civic EG hatch and a B16A into a Cyborg chassis. Interesting comparison i think :D

Last edited:

ferio94eg9

Known Member
Jul 12, 2007
Nobody ever said Mivec engines were bad.

But in a stock for stock comparison there are reasons why a B16A in a Civic EG hatch chassis was faster than a Mivec 4G92 in a Cyborg R chassis.

yeah....n that's show how the advantage of power-weight ratio in Mirage is not much applicable in this test.

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
I also thought that the longer wheel base of the Civic EG played a huge roll.

trOubLeMakEr_

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
more money ..... more power !!!
no money ... no power !!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bump: more money ..... more power !!!
no money ... no power !!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
I was in the articles i posted before ler.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

How do I check whether the Mitsubishi timing belt is original or imitate? Really worried about this, pls help. I'm afraid driving halfway the belt putus. :( :blink:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience