tyres...

Kenboy

Known Member
Apr 23, 2004
Has anybody here tried Silverstone FTZ Type RR?

How is it compared to AD07 & S575

im not sure how they compare, but i think i can assume some things.

the FTZ RR needs a high working temperature. when its cold, its slippery. warming up this tyre is essential. and if im not mistaken is this the tyres slated for the MME endurance this year? in terms of durability, it may be equal or even outlast the AD07

the AD07 being a street radial, will work from cold. it is a very grippy tyre and many have found them to be friendly at the limit too. however, for a street tyre it seems to wear off pretty fast :p. i do not know if these tyres will overheat and lose its composure if you start lapping it really hard. but genting runs are not a problem at all. its sidewall is softer than the slicks, so will need comparatively higher pressures.

the S575 is also a fairly low to medium temp tyre. it needs to grip from cold cause its a rally tyre. grip is fairly good, but the slots in the tyre decrease the total contact patch. why is this? im not sure. but nearly all tarmac slicks are like that. the best part abt the tarmac slick is its construction. a very stiff tyre wall makes the handling at the limit abit more predictable, lets you run lower pressure so as not to balloon the tyre, and the square section allows max contact patch. however this tyre wont last 5 laps of hard driving at SIC. it;ll just melt. and ive seen that happen.

my 2 cents, with many assumptions.

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Kenboy said:
Has anybody here tried Silverstone FTZ Type RR?

How is it compared to AD07 & S575

im not sure how they compare, but i think i can assume some things.

the FTZ RR needs a high working temperature. when its cold, its slippery. warming up this tyre is essential. and if im not mistaken is this the tyres slated for the MME endurance this year? in terms of durability, it may be equal or even outlast the AD07

the AD07 being a street radial, will work from cold. it is a very grippy tyre and many have found them to be friendly at the limit too. however, for a street tyre it seems to wear off pretty fast :p. i do not know if these tyres will overheat and lose its composure if you start lapping it really hard. but genting runs are not a problem at all. its sidewall is softer than the slicks, so will need comparatively higher pressures.

the S575 is also a fairly low to medium temp tyre. it needs to grip from cold cause its a rally tyre. grip is fairly good, but the slots in the tyre decrease the total contact patch. why is this? im not sure. but nearly all tarmac slicks are like that. the best part abt the tarmac slick is its construction. a very stiff tyre wall makes the handling at the limit abit more predictable, lets you run lower pressure so as not to balloon the tyre, and the square section allows max contact patch. however this tyre wont last 5 laps of hard driving at SIC. it;ll just melt. and ive seen that happen.

my 2 cents, with many assumptions.
Thanks. That was very informative.

Let say if for Autocross application, which one is more suitable between AD07 and Type RR?

beretta

Jan 7, 2004
Ok, to those people who had experience with AD07 on the track..... Are this AD07 tires good during wet on the road?

I beleive this AD07 tires are good for track and road use.... right?

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
danny101,
any comment? since u have tried it in the wet during your mme testing last week.

kikaider

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
KL
If the tyre is made to run good on dry, it would have to compensate on its wet handling wouldnt it?? Correct me if i'm wrong. But personally i think it is pretty good on the road. Just dont try to "pek" corner at 200km/h! Hahaha!

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
beretta said:
Ok, to those people who had experience with AD07 on the track..... Are this AD07 tires good during wet on the road?

I beleive this AD07 tires are good for track and road use.... right?
It is still acceptable when the road is wet. If the road has standing water like during heavy rain, then it is not so good.

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
Is the Silverstone type RR a road legal tyre (carries SIRIM or DOT serial number)? If not, then it's not right to compare it to Advan AD007. Maybe AD007 should be compared to other road legal R compound tyres like RT115, Toyo Proxes and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup?

Doesn't certain events like SSO forbids racing tyres?

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Kookaburra said:
Is the Silverstone type RR a road legal tyre (carries SIRIM or DOT serial number)? If not, then it's not right to compare it to Advan AD007. Maybe AD007 should be compared to other road legal R compound tyres like RT115, Toyo Proxes and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup?

Doesn't certain events like SSO forbids racing tyres?
SSO only forbid full slicks. I am comparing AD07 with Silverstone Type RR coz I want to know if TypeRR is better than my current AD07 for SSO. If it is better then I will procede and get 4 TypeRR for my upcoming SSO/autocross event.

In SSO, we do not get a change to warm up the tyres. The only way I can heat it up is to spin my tyres during launch at the starting grid. I wonder if the initial grip when it is cold is better than AD07 or not. Can any of you share the experience on running TypeRR before warm up? If you are a track users, maybe you can share with me on the grip during the 1st lap. Of course it must be based on a tyre which has been scrubed in or broken in.

MK84

1,500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.mk84.com
Unker champ.... don't forget also for KKS Autocross the tires must be DOT legal.

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
MK84 said:
Unker champ.... don't forget also for KKS Autocross the tires must be DOT legal.
I know. I am only using it for SSO. If the TypeRR is DOT legal, I will even use it for Autocross.

Is the TypeRR DOT legal?

Too late anyway. I have already bought 2 units. I am hoping to get more info b4 I go for another 2 more.

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
u guys might wanna give toyo r888 a thinker..... it's in a class above ad07 in term of grip.

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
kikaider said:
Does the Silverstone Type RR have applications for 16" wheels?
sorry but currently its only available in 14" 15" and 17" sizes only.

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
AD07 vs Silverstone FTZ TypeRR

I will try the TypeRR out this Sunday in an event. I will post the feedback here after the event. Previously I was using AD07 and I ran the same track before with the AD07.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys what will be the best exhaust setup for myvi 1.3 auto ? Prefer a straight flow kind of system or something which has a nice sound and with good mid end power
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience