Type/brand of coolant for Myvi

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
What sort of coolant should be used for the Perodua Myvi? The manual simply states to use a high quality ethylene glyvol coolant.

Would normal green dye silicate coolant be compatible?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What sort of coolant should be used for the Perodua Myvi? The manual simply states to use a high quality ethylene glyvol coolant.

Would normal green dye silicate coolant be compatible?
No. Stick to Ethylene Glycol.

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
The normal ethylene glycol coolant is green in colour and contains silicates. What brand of coolant do you recommend that I should pick up for the Myvi from a spare parts shop in Malaysia?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The normal ethylene glycol coolant is green in colour and contains silicates. What brand of coolant do you recommend that I should pick up for the Myvi from a spare parts shop in Malaysia?
These days it'll be hard pressed to find anything except ethylene glycol coolants. I didn't know they contained silicates? Anyway, as long as it's ethylene glycol, it's safe for your aluminum radiator. Not good on old copper ones though. But I haven't seen a copper radiator for a looooong time.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Nowadays the green dye coolant does not seems to last. Within 6 months turn clear already. Have been using Toyota Long life coolant for sometime already. But Red is color....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
My factory coolant has been 2 years already....red colour. Dont know what brand they use but it should be similar to toyota long life coolant. Just stick with that lu

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
Nowadays the green dye coolant does not seems to last. Within 6 months turn clear already. Have been using Toyota Long life coolant for sometime already. But Red is color....
I knew it... the color of the coolant was pink-greenish which showed there was different types of coolants mixing. The only clue that the Perodua Myvi was supposed to use the newer OAT/HOAT coolants was the recommendation in the owner's manual to use long-life coolant since I didn't what colour the coolant was when it was new.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I knew it... the color of the coolant was pink-greenish which showed there was different types of coolants mixing. The only clue that the Perodua Myvi was supposed to use the newer OAT/HOAT coolants was the recommendation in the owner's manual to use long-life coolant since I didn't what colour the coolant was when it was new.
Then buy back same from Perodua stockist to be safe....

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
Then buy back same from Perodua stockist to be safe....
Yes I should have done that but I already got some Toyota red which is about the same price per litre.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

There was a thread here on DIY coolant flush on a perodua myvi. But the TS made a big mistake when he said that the coolant:water ratio was 1:10 in post #30.
That's pure. It has to be mixed 1 part to 10 with water. You can't use that only la. Not good!
It should be around 50:50 otherwise there will be not be enough antirust protection. The manual says 30:70 which is reasonable since Malaysian weather is hot. 2 1L bottles in a total coolant capacity of 5.7L will give a 35:65 ratio which is close enough for me.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i only pour 1 litre coolant then the rest is distilled water.
Lazy to see ratio thing. :vroam:
My 2.0L car I use 2 bottles, never really check whether is 50:50 also....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Most are 50:50 but have to see what's the instruction at the back.
Premix for a peace of mind. And u probably need to do flushing too since u said it showed evidence of mixing.
If changing coolant type/brand is better to flush anyway......:driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Toyota LLC aka Long Life Coolant.

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
I said in my previous post that I got Toyota reds. The back label says to dilute it 50/50 strength.

I drained the radiator and removed the thermostat housing(and checked the thermostat in hot water) to flush until the water ran clear. I didn't measure how much coolant was drained out. I only managed to put back 2.5L of coolant+water not counting the reserve tank of 0.6L which is less than the stated capacity of 5.7L. After running the engine until the thermostat opened, the reserve level didn't drop. I think because I did my work on a slope nose up, some water from the garden hose flush was still trapped inside. I'll just have to redo it again but at least I found no evidence of rust and I got a red bottle in.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Helo everyone!!! Just a newbie on car...I got this Mitsubishi Lancer 4g15 12v SOHC with c62 body (A month ago). Engine is still in great condition but it lacks power. I went to the mechanic and had the clutch assy replaced with aisi disk and excel pressure and release bearing. Even the timing belt was replaced and valve tuned. However on long drive, my car jitters on 1500 rev especially during gear shift. Could it be a defective clutch disk?
Another thing, may i ask what could be done in...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience