Turbocharger Without BOV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
Hello all.

Im getting a turbo car soon. I am pretty sure there is BOV inside.
But can I get rid of the BOV? I really hate the BOV sound.

I want a flutter sound instead - like this: YouTube- MR Turbo's flutter

Any turbo sifu have this setup on your car? do share.. thanks.
:driver::driver:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
get the internal BOV, like the one used in impreza WRX.
u no need to get turbo la. u get supercharger enough....
turbo must have BOV ma, the function is to release the excessive air produced by the turbine, without it, the air will tendang balik into the turbine, therfore will damage the fins.

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
the air will tendang balik into the turbine, therfore will damage the fins.
one thingy abt that point.

how come compressed air damage fin la? say if less than 2 bar of compressed air can damage turbo fins, then how does the throttle butterfly plate survives the compressed air la?

all my years of having damaged turbos, it's never did anything to the fin. i ran bov-disabled system fer few months, running 0.8~1.0 bar at some point (gotta blame the imitation BOV but that's another story.)..

heck, some turbo cars NEVER had BOV's as stock. :smokin:

it's ALWAYS the oil seal in my case. ALWAYS.. :banghead:

lan evo

3,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
my car running without bov now,the flutter sounds quite annoying after sometimes:rofl:sounds like theres so many bird inside the engine bay chiu chiu chiu chiu... lol

going to install a bov soon,turbosurging part throttle now:banghead:

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
unless you are running auto on drag races then its differant story of not having a blow valve.

how would it damage the fin? it will break your turbine shaft. wid such a heavy thrust producing boost and suddenly kena backed off the load is significantly high.... try move forward on 1st gear and then press clutch and engage your reverse

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
wid such a heavy thrust producing boost and suddenly kena backed off the load is significantly high.... try move forward on 1st gear and then press clutch and engage your reverse
IMO you're comparing 2 different things altogether. turbined dun spool backwards upon chirps, the momentum it spun is way too fast.

say a turbine spins fer 100,000rpm, and then suddenly the air can go nowhere, so it being pushed out through the fan. that last part there creates the chirping sound.

has someone actually broke the shaft because of that?
share own experience only please.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Taken from wikipedia

Blowoff valves are used to prevent compressor surge, a phenomenon that readily occurs when lifting off the throttle of an unvented, turbocharged engine. When the throttle plate on a turbocharged engine closes, the high pressure air in the intake system is trapped by the throttle and a pressure wave is forced back into the compressor. The compressor wheel slows rapidly and may even stall, and the driver will notice a fluttering air sound. The rapid slowing or stalling stresses the turbo and imparts severe turbo lag if the driver accelerates immediately after the surge event.
get a recirculated BOV and maintains stock airbox (maybe just use aftermarket drop-in filter instead)... and you have a stealth turbo car....

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
IMO you're comparing 2 different things altogether. turbined dun spool backwards upon chirps, the momentum it spun is way too fast.

say a turbine spins fer 100,000rpm, and then suddenly the air can go nowhere, so it being pushed out through the fan. that last part there creates the chirping sound.

has someone actually broke the shaft because of that?
share own experience only please.
Bro i have broken the shaft :wavey: ... I once bought a Turbo that was choosen by Tong after i explained my engine specs to him ... I said that i was gonna boost a minimum of 2.5 ... I ended up boosting 2.7 daily driven ... He might have tought i was lying so he sold me this turbo and under estimated me ... i returned the turbo back in 1 month with shaft patah and fin gone ... because it spool backwards upon chirps ... :proud:

On daily drives i would use my SARD racing BOV (UFO type) ... for drags i would just replace the bov with a rubber stopper or battery so that i dont get any boost leak ... According to Tong ... that was the reason the shaft broke ... basically he thought i was BShitting all the way and never thought i was gonna boost that high ... :rofl:

Just sharing my past experience ... Happy Boosting ... To every one ... if u change ur BOV and the sound is Turrr turrr ... better change to a different one ... its gonna spoil ur Turbo :driver: ...Hell its not even ur BOV sound ... its the sound of the turbo surge ... its good in a way there's no boost leak .. but it will slowly reduce the lifetime of ur turbo :driver: ... if boost below 0.5bar they maybe ok kut ... :listen:

Cheers

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
Bro i have broken the shaft :wavey: ... I once bought a Turbo that was choosen by Tong after i explained my engine specs to him ... I said that i was gonna boost a minimum of 2.5 ... I ended up boosting 2.7 daily driven ... He might have tought i was lying so he sold me this turbo and under estimated me ... i returned the turbo back in 1 month with shaft patah and fin gone ... because it spool backwards upon chirps ... :proud:

On daily drives i would use my SARD racing BOV (UFO type) ... for drags i would just replace the bov with a rubber stopper or battery so that i dont get any boost leak ... According to Tong ... that was the reason the shaft broke ... basically he thought i was BShitting all the way and never thought i was gonna boost that high ... :rofl:

Just sharing my past experience ... Happy Boosting ... To every one ... if u change ur BOV and the sound is Turrr turrr ... better change to a different one ... its gonna spoil ur Turbo :driver: ...Hell its not even ur BOV sound ... its the sound of the turbo surge ... its good in a way there's no boost leak .. but it will slowly reduce the lifetime of ur turbo :driver: ... if boost below 0.5bar they maybe ok kut ... :listen:

Cheers
2.7 bar

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
huyoo... 2.7bar .... race fuel?? @ what static compress ratio?? erkk... daily drive with race fuel??
1000cc block ... 2E turbo pistons (damn low comp) ... 3mm below top dead center ... L2 head ... 2 bosch fuel pump ... Sard double diapharm fuel reg. ... Good ol SAFC II ... and blablabla ... normal fuel ... :smokin:

I wish to go higher but not recommended by my pomen ... its a Kancil btw ... zaman2 muda ... NS Garage is boosting at 3bar and many more ... how much u think thoose drag kancil boosting ?? :rofl:

How do u think we can achive 200hp ++ ... Prodrag kancil 290hp ++ ... obviously theres no way from a 1.0cc block right ... so thats where the boost come in ... :driver:

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Nan ... Ala ur brother flamefox should know this .. and also me :itsme:

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
get the internal BOV, like the one used in impreza WRX.
u no need to get turbo la. u get supercharger enough....
turbo must have BOV ma, the function is to release the excessive air produced by the turbine, without it, the air will tendang balik into the turbine, therfore will damage the fins.
Fins so easily damage by AIR? Actually this is what the BOV supplier tell u to get u buy their BOV. Actually BOV is used to make it easier to TUNE your car only.

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

my car running without bov now,the flutter sounds quite annoying after sometimes:rofl:sounds like theres so many bird inside the engine bay chiu chiu chiu chiu... lol

going to install a bov soon,turbosurging part throttle now:banghead:
THANKS FOR THIS INFO. What car is yours? Looks like a Silvia?
LOL! so u dont like the flutter hor? Kekeke... for me is reverse, i love the flutter.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Cheers
Lets not get into BOT. Actually if spoil turbo, means only 1 thing: tuner dont know how to tune.

If you see WRC rally, most of the cars there also have turbo flutters, they dont have a BOV. BOV is made to make it easy to tune turbo cars. WRC cars cannot afford to have unnecessary parts. but, are you saying those WRC cars going to damage their turbine fiin/shaft? No. bcos their tuner is a good tuner.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
if u r on a antilag fitted or tuned car
then u may throw away ur bov
because u may never hit vacuum

example : rally cars :D

bt do remember, rally cars service or change new turbo every race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

In the same event, Bermaz Motor also introduced a diesel option for its mid-size crossover, the CX-5 SkyActiv-D.

What's the deal?

Like the Mazda6, this new CX-5 SkyActiv-D is also equipped with Mazda's super-efficient and environmentally-friendly diesel...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience