Turbo Vs Vtec

Discussion in 'Car Modification' started by WiiR4, Oct 23, 2008.

1. WiiR4

WiiR4 5 Year | Silver

Bump:

still on track, got many laps to go bro, he...he...he...:biggrin:

GT JAPAN got many turbo cars...except for NSX

#341 WiiR4, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. boyzone

boyzone Senior Member

Isn't it NSX also in Turbo for GT500? :burnout:

3. deacon

deacon Senior master debater

Depends, 2 years ago Honda used 3.5L V6 engines that produced somewhere near the region of 456BHP. Last year they switched to turbo engines to give them a little more torque. So far they are the only manufacturer that haven't switched to a V8 variant like Toyota or Nissan.

4. WiiR4

WiiR4 5 Year | Silver

waa...really aaa...dont know bout' that...I wonder NSX with very Big :driver:Vtec+Turbo...sure damn fast!!!

5. JINEIL2EN

JINEIL2EN Senior Member

just wondering why, no 1 compare VVTi with Turbo 1..??:hmmmm:

6. deacon

Mostly cos its widely considered that the 2ZZFE Celica GTS motor lacks the support required to contend? Then again i could be wrong. Any Celica GTS drivers here? Not ones with 3SGTE motors.

7. AsimoV2

AsimoV2 Senior Member

Had a drag in a celica with a 2zzge engine againts a 99 wrx impreza once, manage to get a headstart for a while trying to keep the revs above 6.5k while shifting to maintain lift, but then the wrx's turbo kicks in then i got smoked by a loooong shot.

cant really compare, both cars had their pros and cons... wrx has a turbo and the celica is made with chick magnets :biggrin:

never been in a vtec before, but i'm always curious how much extra power you get when the vtec is on?

8. deacon

isnt the 2zzge like 140bhp?

#348 deacon, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  9. 5115

5115 Nobody
    Helmet Clan Moderator

1zz-fe 145hp 5 speed manual VVTi
    2zz-ge 190hp 6 speed manual VVTLi

10. deacon

oh right got the engine codes wrong.

11. mizi0604

mizi0604 Senior Member

I choose for TURBO!!! Wanna to convert MIVEC TURBO:biggrin:

Bump: I choose for TURBO!!! Wanna to convert MIVEC TURBO:biggrin:

12. jombiee

jombiee Senior Member

all motor rules !!:thefinger:

whatever la, why la compare NA with turbo:sleep:
    all old combustion engines, go for Hybrid or electric car
    look to the future:burnout:

Bump: all motor rules !!:thefinger:

whatever la, why la compare NA with turbo:sleep:
    all old combustion engines, go for Hybrid or electric car
    look to the future:burnout:

13. D-IV

D-IV 15 Year | Platinum

:listen:I like to get smoked by turbo cars coz i'm not pressing my civic... let them know i'm :slug: :rofl:

#353 D-IV, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  14. bornzreign

bornzreign Senior Member

hoh? like that oso can meh? hehe

15. mivec_mivec

mivec_mivec Senior Member

may i know y?

16. D-IV

D-IV 15 Year | Platinum

Wasting my fuel ... Its not i'm gonna get a trophy at the end of the day anyway... I drive to enjoy the ride, not to smoke them turbo car owners.

17. Hartge

Hartge Senior Member

Experience with a 2.2L 200hp Vtec and a 2.5L 280hp turbo , i would say it would really depends on your preference.

Of course , the turbocharged car has plenty of torque , but the car actually aint that fast , ( the 2.5 feels like a 4 litre NA engine ), whilst the Vtec while doenst has the torque anywhere near that level , is actually quite an agile car.

Being a non-professional driver ( newbie ) with absolutely no professional training , like myself , i think the Vtec is a much easier car to drive , perhaps due to the FF config , just to control the throttle slightly as the torque is not enough to cause any major issues. whilst the turbo , gotta be gentle on the throttle or might get a fishtail while powering out of a corner.

With both being stock engines , i havent explore the option of cost involved for upgrading to certain power level . But as for regular maintenance , i would say the Vtec (H22a ) engine is almost bulletproof , with no major issue experienced in my past 3 years + of driving. While the turbo would like to have leaks here and there.

Fuel Consumption wise , you have to give the Vtec some respect , being a heavy footer myself, i could actaully manage to clock around 9km/litre for mixed driving ( usually rev to around 5k rpm b4 changing gear with occasional 7.5k rpm ) highway speed ard 180-190 cruising.

the turbo in the otherhand , would struggle to get a meagre 6 to 6.5km/litre for mixed driving , If really pedal to the metal kind of driving , the FC would be even worst, rm 100 for less than 200km anyone ? :biggrin:

So in the end , it would still all boils down to what are you looking for in a car , Turbo and Vtec has different characteristics and shd not be put together in comparison . ( HOW to compare APPLE to DURIAN ? )

But if given a choice , i would rather have the INSTANT NON-LAG NA power. Too bad Road Tax for High Displacement car in Msia are too expensive. Dont shoot me :biggrin: , just for example , ( given a chance of a 400hp NA engine (maybe a 5litre v8 ? ) vs a 400HP turbo ( could be done with any tuned turbo engine ) i would Pick the NA engine anytime. :itsme:

18. helvetica

helvetica 5 Year | Silver

Do you guys know how much does it costs to tune a GT NSX ? It costs alot !

But practical daily driving cars, turbo is a good platform. My brother has a volvo 2.0T and it owns in the sense of comfort and acceleration and top speed. Even BMW loses to that.

What Im sayin is turbo is much better in the right hands :) And turbo has NO limit to tune it power, and that's THAT !

Bump: Do you guys know how much does it costs to tune a GT NSX ? It costs alot !

But practical daily driving cars, turbo is a good platform. My brother has a volvo 2.0T and it owns in the sense of comfort and acceleration and top speed. Even BMW loses to that.

What Im sayin is turbo is much better in the right hands :) And turbo has NO limit to tune it power, and that's THAT !

19. D-IV

D-IV 15 Year | Platinum

What do you mean by tune? Any tune would be roughly the same regardless whether it is N/A or Turbo... Depends on the tuner. Unless you're talking about the parts involved to modify it to get power, then its my bad:biggrin:

Yes you spend a lot of money to get 300hp on N/A rather than Turbocharging. But we have to respect people who wants to achieve that Naturally Aspirated instead of busting their hopes down. Ofcourse we could give them opinions whereby turbocharging would be the cheapest way to go but we could also help them out on how to achieve their targets N/A....

Btw, as a summary of all the pages: Turbo or N/A is a matter of preference.

Cheers...

20. D-IV

D-IV 15 Year | Platinum

Yes its wise to buy a supercar in the first place... But it is great to mod a car from grounds up...

There are reasons why people mod cars and i'm not sure you have reached that level of thinking yet. It's challenging to extract power outta N/A than it is to extract from a turbo but each gets challenging and expensive once you've reached its limit and trying to extract more outta it.

Sorry to digress the topic away 5115. Well atleast there was a point where we weren't even talking about VTEC but NA and Turbo in general hehe. There's good info here but also a lot of misinformation too... Not sure whether moderators are gonna lock this topic though...