kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
Hi,

I just bought myself another turbine with the below specs:

TD04 Twin Blade
49177-01900 (13G-5cm^2)
Previously used on VR4

i bought it coz the turbo for my ride GSR, is puffing white smoke already, however, the white smoke is only intermittent and not always, so I'm quite confirmed it's due to turbine at fault, my service history reveals the turbine that i used is always the first to go, i know some of u may suggest engine valve leakage causing the engine oil to flow thru the combustion chamber, whatever it is, let's just assume my turbine is at fault, at least for now....

OK, now my question to all respectable members, should I:

1) just service this turbine before install?
2) don't service the turbine and install, not till it's broke?
3) service + mod the turbine?

if option 3, what is the right size to mod? should i just change to 15G ?? What is the best spec for my GSR ??

Also, I live in Penang, why is the turbine service so limited?? Why only Tong Turbo and Turbo One in KL? It's none to be found in Penang? What is the usual cause of turbine fair and tear? Why is the turbine bushes (or seal) is so prone to leakage after many years of abuse?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
kenneth,

We have a Northern Dealer in Butterworth called : EASTERN TURBO. You can go by and speak to Mike Choong - 012-501 5338.

Hope this helps.

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
SDF !! waaah!! so happy to hear that i'm giving him a call right now !!

and THANKS!

Last edited:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
a true deal whould be a td05 on a gsr, proven to kick ass
bt a hybrid bigger fin wouldnt cost much more
its better u service em rather than letting it break bro

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
SDF,

I've went to Eastern Turbo as of 3:30pm just now, he's a very frenly guy, he suggests me to straight get the T28R from you, however I don't plan to install this ball bearing yet, at least at this point of time, too expensive.... so I'll be going to my mech tomorrow and take out my current turbo and will send to him for service, (actually in my mind now i oso dunno which turbine to send to him coz i have a spare now) he'll quote me once i get the item to him, though he mentions it might costs around RM 700-800 or most probably 1k ++ coz he says it's not so recommended to just do the basic oil seal change service, y not get the whole set of internals? well i'm still thinking hehe....

anyway SDF, i told him my intention to change 15G but he says he needs some complicated calculations including the verification of materials on my turbine and the type, and for some turbines he needs the spec from you, so not too sure whether to send the turbine to you or to him?

SDF, owe you big for this round, i would've courier the turbine to Tong Turbo if you didn't tell me....

Jin,

actually i wanted to get a TD05 but i'm afraid of lag in the 2k-3k rpm range, and if i tune my megasquirt to advance the ignition timing to very high degree during those regions to help the low gain, i'll need to compensate with loads of fuel (also in that region and that's the most useable region for my daily ride)....so end of the day = makan minyak lorh hehe.... ball bearing can cure this prob but for me i think not worth investing in an old wira like mine lerh, later lar if i can get ahold of evos i'll really consider it (mine still a small siput baby)....

Last edited:

kob3bryant

Known Member
Dec 3, 2005
may i know how frequent a turbine should be service?ad wat r the main course for a turbine damaged/not usable?

LyPaN

Known Member
Nov 22, 2005
to my dear mr Jinkl..

HYBRID= mitsu n Garret turbo.
can u explain more interms of reliability..

is it true that this kawin campur cannot boost hi
let say 1.5 above?

thanx mr Jin.
(luv ur wira monster)

140dB

Known Member
Mar 27, 2005
johor
adoi. ur mech got balancing machine or not......turbos spin 100krpm upwards.....

turbo tong sell recon turbo dam cheap la...a td04 recon balanced and all only abt rm750 lidat....no need to send ur turbo there. buy 1 straight from him hahah....

look spanking brand new some more.

i used many times b4....no regrets

ayoo..but anyways since u bought oledi.....might as well give it some heheh.....

Last edited:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
SDF,

I've went to Eastern Turbo as of 3:30pm just now, he's a very frenly guy, he suggests me to straight get the T28R from you, however I don't plan to install this ball bearing yet, at least at this point of time, too expensive.... so I'll be going to my mech tomorrow and take out my current turbo and will send to him for service, (actually in my mind now i oso dunno which turbine to send to him coz i have a spare now) he'll quote me once i get the item to him, though he mentions it might costs around RM 700-800 or most probably 1k ++ coz he says it's not so recommended to just do the basic oil seal change service, y not get the whole set of internals? well i'm still thinking hehe....

anyway SDF, i told him my intention to change 15G but he says he needs some complicated calculations including the verification of materials on my turbine and the type, and for some turbines he needs the spec from you, so not too sure whether to send the turbine to you or to him?

SDF, owe you big for this round, i would've courier the turbine to Tong Turbo if you didn't tell me....

Jin,

actually i wanted to get a TD05 but i'm afraid of lag in the 2k-3k rpm range, and if i tune my megasquirt to advance the ignition timing to very high degree during those regions to help the low gain, i'll need to compensate with loads of fuel (also in that region and that's the most useable region for my daily ride)....so end of the day = makan minyak lorh hehe.... ball bearing can cure this prob but for me i think not worth investing in an old wira like mine lerh, later lar if i can get ahold of evos i'll really consider it (mine still a small siput baby)....
err bro , repair kit cost much less than that , as i know td05 ones are only 300-400 with workmanship. and nop i dont tink u should change the internals when they r doing fine. Tong charged me only 300-400 for the repair kit, then i wanted a bigger trim fin , so i got the 46trim garrett , and also the td04e housing , he charged me another 600 for that. the turbo is doing fine till today.
and also do findout , as sdf also said, mhi fins are much more expensive
usually tong also only fits in the cheaper fins = garrett hehe.
my suggestion is u take a td05 single fin n hybrid it la bro , td05 14b belakang not big also, spool should be good

lypan : i had no issues for the hybrid so far , no white smoke or freeplay
touchwood , hope it runs like that for sometime. i boost it daily 1.6bar n did a 1.8bar on dyno, dint give way

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
Jin,

say if i'll get myself a TD05H-16G-7cm^2, is it possible if i get them to change the final 7cm^2 to the spec of 5cm^2 just to reduce the lag? wat kind of mod is required to achieve this?

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
its more simple this way
take ur full td04 , hybrid the front housing to a t04b and fit in a larger fin
tong can custom make a plate for u so the new front housing can fit into ur chra n also maintain ur rear 5cm turbine housing
there sure be garrett compressor housing thats between the td05 and td04 size :)

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
Jin,

OK got it now, thanks waah u always so late bro.... yesterday 4am today 1:10am...

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
hehe wht to do , i nite is more lively hehehhe
seriously get the hybrid , no regret, unless u got cash for GT28 hehe

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
jin..

hybridding is always good. But..

Lots of other factors have to be looked into, like stress on the shaft for a TD04, bear in mind that the shaft size is much smaller in diameter and putting on a larger compressor wheel isn't very viable and it might cause stress and eventually twist...which means broken. Then again, running a 5cm2 housing would choke the turbo on higher RPM limits and eventually cause over spooling, which means over boosting and also causes stress onto the turbine wheels blades.

just a lil note.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
yeaps do agree with ya sdf , thts y a stock td05 would be a better idea , even more better get a gt28r from sdf hihihihi

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Nissan is one of those few marquees that possess a rich racing heritage, one of which that it isn’t shy to disclose and remind the public off. The buck doesn’t stop there though as that very history of racing is continuously being added to with Nissan’s current exploits in the FIA GT1 class and other racing activities.

Now the carmaker has launched a special edition of its 370Z, otherwise known as the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience