TRD spark plug cable enquiry

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
I just got this TRD cables from chop shop. Just wanna know if the only way to know if they are working is just to plug in a running engine? I know multimeter won't work because resistance too high. Any other way to test the cables? I know the other way is ignition coil, cable and plugs wired to battery. Stone liao.

And the cables indicade number 1,2,3,4 on each one. Do they carry different resistant levels? I asked this because i remembered Levin818 and EFN did said something about different levels from the same set of cables (stock ones). How do you measure it? This is purely for my info not for some secret project. hehehe.

I have seen many selling the cables without the primary (from coil) cables in a set. Would there be any problems (misfire?) if running such setup? The cables can work for 16V and 20V right?

TRD16v

1,500 RPM
Feb 9, 2004
Tokyo, Japan.
Visit site
mike,
u gotto ask efn or wong sifo loh on dis if not later ur car like evo3 in de initial-d misfiring system la.. haahahaahaha! :D for me i jes use ngk plug will do le.. :) if jes cuci plug loh.. :D

Regards,
Mike

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
Aloo fren....just plug them buggers laa hahahhaha. If sound like Subaru's boxer after that then u know it is not working hahahahha. And yes, different plug cables have different Ohm resistance - this is true for 4A-GE. I dunno abt others.

yolk

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
PJ
Visit site
16v plug cables not same with 20v

ae101svt

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
KL
if can't work may be u can try to use sandpaper to gosok both the end contacts, sometimes due to oxidation the cables fail to conduct. i experienced this b4. hope this can help... :smile:

Ray

Known Member
Jan 26, 2004
16v cable small port not same with big port....
:(

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
emm mike..why cant u test it with multimeter???and according to 20v user manual(i guess can make it as guideline)..resistance is the only way to know if ur plug wire is ok or not.....and to all you guys......plug wire is not meant to last forever...hehehhe....why??? hehehhe do a search..try carbon spiral wound type,magnecor etc.......

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
kh_tan.tripod.com
Yolk, 20v & 16v cable not same eh? Assuming the cable being calculated for the ignition and resistance? From TRD catalog part number not same. But visually looks the same. Oh well.

Zul i could not test it with multimeter. I assume because resistance too high for 9v electricity to pass. Last time i kena kung fu by Wong sifoo because of this. hahahahah.

Mike i was just trying some crazy things. But rather than plugging them into engine, i was just wanted to know if there is another faster way to test the cables without building a test rig or using the engine. Offline testing. hehehe.

Erwandy, that one i know la. hahaha. I malas mah. Open bonnet also malas. Damn nowdays don't even wanna open bonnet because of haze. hahaha.

Well i think i know what i should do now, thanks guys.

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
what??

what u know ??tell us la..

in user manual says to test like that.....how i know is wrong or not.....they design the manual sure know how to test it right???

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
kh_tan.tripod.com
Zul using manual means from 4age manual izzit? That one is for stock cables. I wonder how to test this TRD one. When compared to my Australia ones, the TRD cable core loop is thicker. Sort of 2mm compared to 1mm (not accurate). I think stock core size are about are about the same as my australia ones.

I hauled my butt and tested the cables on the 2T engine. IT WORKS! Without much modification. Only the spark plug holder end cannot be used because of the plug size difference between 4AGE & 2T. I'm still interested to test the cable resistance though.

Also from my findings, TRD cable core should be the same among the 16v & 20v engines. It should be interesting if it works for 6 cylinder engines like 1J. Cut manufacturing cost even when u are racing. hahaha.

Should be posting some pictures on my site soon. Gives me a reason to color coordinate the engine bay with red accents. hehehe.

Last edited:

zhelinm

Nov 7, 2004
16v and 20v TRD cables are different because of length. Simple as that.
20v cables are shorter due to the location of distributor and the direction of the output.

auxoura

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
err

i know im using wrong spark cables....i think im using evo ones....lol...
Anyone got spark cable for free? XD

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
yeap.4age manual to test stock wire.......emm cant use 'stock' way to test TRD cable meh???? hehehhehahhah wah...must use TRD way la like that...?? hehhee

KE2020

Known Member
Dec 12, 2003
Visit site
According to manual, the resistance should not be more than 25K ohm, the less is better. So assume that those performance plug wire should be better or not more than this figure.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

today i notice that my door window got tiny2 scratch..maybe it because it goes up and down regularly ....i afraid it will become worst ;(..how to avoid this happen again? arghhh if will become more worst 4 sure

need advice here thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience