Toyota Prius hinting its arrival.

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com

I dunno if you guys saw the advertisment in The Star daily (In Tech section) few weeks ago. It was an ad for Toyota Prius with the technology involved. I believe it is a hint that the car would eventually be sold here.

It is currently being sold in USA for about USD23,000. Thats about RM80,000 in Malaysia on current exchange rates. But realistically i believe the car would be priced closer to a Camry around RM160,000. And thats the price for technology. But probably be priced RM120,000 if they can secure high orders.

A full tank of fuel would get around 1500km of mileage. Crazy stuff.

The cons would be
- possible failure of the battery
- you need special low resistance tires for extra mileage
- plenty of electronics that would make your under the tree mechanic cry
- forget about aftermarket parts (Toyota would ask you to buy the Lexus L700H)

Also an interesting find,

I called Toyota. "Joel" informed me that if we did not charge the battery as per the owner's manual every two weeks as required by the manual and any problem developed, that would be deemed negligence on our part and the warranty would be voided. Frankly, I consider this to be fraud. We were never given a single item to read, there is nothing in the advertising and no salesman disclosed, etc., any information at all relating to the necessity to have the battery on the car charged for at least 1/2 hour every two weeks or the warranty would be voided.
In the end the big question is, Would i buy one?" In fact i would. Given its low gas intake per km. But i could not get over the fear of all electronics here and there. I have read quite much about this car. And if the price is right. Then getting this car would mean not much chance to mod it. There is a TRD Prius BTW.

In fact this car would be great for salesmans. And companies would probably buy them by the bucketloads of money to save on salemans mileage claims. hahah.

Would you buy one?

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
I remember a forummer posted the pictures here 2 years ago. Now i did a search and cannot find it. Its white and had some nice bodykit and wheels. There doesn't seem to be a change to the internals. But i rememebr reading that there is an increase in its power and an upgraded electric motor. Anyway Blitz have a turbo upgrade for Prius. But seems from the many searches its a prototype. But seeing how many people already questions the need for the turbo in a enviromentally safe car. Go figure.

But you could get some TRD dress parts for the Prius. The only tuning part from TRD seems to be the suspensions. I dunno what you could milk out from a hybrid 1.5. Probably as good as Thailands turbo VIOS?