Tool boxes

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hi,

Recently have had to work on GTR at home which is something I haven't done regularly in awhile. Other than swapping out dead batteries, the last thing I did was probably short shifter install years ago. Anyway, as I was about to remove plugs I realized that my tool box was not as complete as it used to be. Before I re-equip my tool box, I thought I'd ask the following:

1) How extensive are the tools you have at home and what are they? Are you particular about brands or do you just grab whatever generic no branded one is closest to cashier?

2) Other than the spare jack and the tire wrench, do you carry any other tools in your boot? What are they?

In my car, I make sure there's always a flashlight, socket set, screwdrivers, a bunch of allen keys in a pouch, a pair of jumper cables and a cloth rag. Additionally, I have the silencer for my exhaust if I need to go somewhere without making an entrance and some spare cable ties. Is there anything I should add? I know that the jumper cables are inadequate so a mechanic friend is custom making a pair for me which should work better.

Overall, my tools should probably be replaced with higher quality ones. I should probably replace the Maglites I used to have in each car ever since they broke but nowadays there are such small flashlights which are so powerful I was wondering if they'd be a better for portable use vs. the other uses of the Maglite which is what broke my last 3 ones.

Opinions?

Attachments

gobiz2

Known Member
Nov 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
We all recommend for you to get everything in the snap on catalogue.

Also it's very highly recommended to have a carlift at your house.

Then we can frequent your house to pinjam stuff.....*lariiiiiiiii* :burnout:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004

I don't think there is any workshop that has all Snap On tools. Unless they repair planes and cars side by side. :banghead: But I don't see the value in paying premium for everything because surely some tools can be made by any manufacturer (ie: breaker bar - pipe lying around) :biggrin:

Anyway, even the smallest complete set they have with 100pcs retails for over RM10k but their portable sets aren't that expensive though but they don't ship to Malaysia, at least not the main website :mad:

reccaoji

Known Member
Feb 16, 2011
Kuala Lumpur

i agree with this one...so we can go TT at ur big semi-D house after repair our own car for free...haha...:biggrin:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
any tools brand should do the job nicely..just don't pick those cheap2 brittle one la......

and me bought tools depends on my need.....if most common used tool is missing jialat lah cannot do anything.....(especially if u already halfway of removing parts/thing on your car) :biggrin:

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
haha, i dont have any tools in my car (the ones like spanner, screw drivers etc etc)

what i have only are:
1)spare tyre
2)the jack (but pretty useless coz i don't even know how to change my own tyre. yeah laugh all you want)
3)the emergency red light thing that came together with the in front of the passenger seat
4)my lock nut.

that's it. From experience i rather pay someone to fix it than to do it myself, knowing how klutzy i am, if i started working on something, something is definitely bound to break :bawling:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Since you guys drive such nice cars, it's advisable to get proper tools. "Chromium" tools are little more expensive but they are better than getting distorted or destroyed bolts and nuts all because you wanted to save a few bucks.

I personally recommend JTC Auto tools and don't ever use open end wrenches if you have a closed type. Try looking at MTIS and ask for Eric. The bloke is located in Klang and is pretty easy to deal with. He'll tell you whats good and whats not for your application and budget.

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
shark79, that's a good idea on an extra coil in the car.

I only have basic tools in the car, jumper cables, florescent vest, glove, and a mini Maglite.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
i agree with this one...so we can go TT at ur big semi-D house after repair our own car for free...haha...:biggrin:
How does big and semi-d go together in a sentence? :banghead:

Trust me, if I had the space anytime can come repair your car here hahah. When we were students, used to pool resources for tools so hydraulic jack, axle stands, etc all share to buy and kept at one friend's house.

Can drink Tropicana Twister while we're working on our cars at ur place as well.. :love:
That reminds me.....stock habis kena top-up

any tools brand should do the job nicely..just don't pick those cheap2 brittle one la......

and me bought tools depends on my need.....if most common used tool is missing jialat lah cannot do anything.....(especially if u already halfway of removing parts/thing on your car) :biggrin:
Yes, expensive tools are hopeless when the RB26 'eats' them anyway. Referring of course to my tendency to drop tools into the bay which ends up in a retrieval that takes twice as long as original task. If lucky it goes all the way down and out at the bottom.

Should get this for your own usage

SNAP ON TOOLS ------LARGE COLLECTION----- | eBay

heheheh
Missed it cause sale ended. What was it?

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
How extensive are the tools I have at home? Hmmm I would say quite extensive. Basically the tools I have at home can dis-assemble the whole car. Heck I even dropped and swapped engines at home. LOL.

Some tools that are worth mentioning are:
1) A set of SATA tools (100+ pcs). Lifetime warranty. You break one they replace one. Everything you need to fix the car. I usually carry them to events.
2) Snap On impact wrench. Battery powered. As powerful as an air operated impact wrench. Essential for quick changes of tyres and suspension parts.
3) Aluminium jack. Light weight and also essential for quick tyre changes and suspension settings/fixing.
4) Some power tools - mostly Black & Decker and Bosch stuffs such as bench grinder, angle grinder, drill (both battery and AC operated), polisher, jigsaw, rotary tools, etc.
5) Ciplak air compressor for cleaning dusts on car and pump air into tyres.
6) Some tool cabinets to organise things. I use ACE Hardware.
7) Tools for wiring job. I have everything to wire a complete DIY dashboard LOL.
8) A pair of LDR (low-down-ramp). Good for jacking up low cars.

etc etc etc.... can't list them all here LOL

I'm a tool collection freak and I fix my own car. From DIY projects to swapping engines. Just yet to rebuild my own engine. :stupid:

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
pimpin
click the link and scroll down below

it bidding is over but pic still there

many pic and a ton of snap on tool that people can bid up tov 34k pound for it