Too much Negative Offset Wheels = Slight Wheel Vibration ?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

As mentioned above, i want to know the whether too much negative offset in OEM wheels can cause tire vibrations. Current car is an E46 318ci with stock undercarriage. Wheel hub is still using stock and standard which sits quite inside the fender. Current wheels are OEM 17" with ET37 offset. My mechanic already gave me a preamp that i will experience slight vibration and on-wheel balancing can only reduce it but not cure it completely. As he said, i did feel slight vibrations randomly at any speed depending on road conditions.

Should i change back to wheels within my 318ci spec or there's something wrong with my car ? For guys who didn't know my car, its running on 1JZGTE engine with custom driveshaft using Toyota Crown's and E46 flange to rear axle with 3.46 differential.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
" BMW "

:biggrin:

There are only a few reasons why you'd experience vibration - rim damaged a little, tyre wear uneven before you went all negative camber, wheel bearing, the way the BMW lower arm and all are designed perhaps might not be suited for aggressive camber

Which one is it? How much camber you on anyway?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
" BMW "

:biggrin:

There are only a few reasons why you'd experience vibration - rim damaged a little, tyre wear uneven before you went all negative camber, wheel bearing, the way the BMW lower arm and all are designed perhaps might not be suited for aggressive camber

Which one is it? How much camber you on anyway?
1.) RIM seems perfectly round
2.) Tyres are new and in good shape
3.) Not running aggressive negative camber, -0.1 only.

Actually its not really a very obvious vibration, more like pulsing at higher speed in the region of 160 km/h - 180km/h. Can loud straight flow exhaust could have contributed that ? I am running a 3 inch straight flow exhaust with only one resonator, so the car is actually kinda loud.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Actually its not really a very obvious vibration, more like pulsing at higher speed in the region of 160 km/h - 180km/h. Can loud straight flow exhaust could have contributed that ? I am running a 3 inch straight flow exhaust with only one resonator, so the car is actually kinda loud.
I need to experience it to understand. If the vibration is only at a specific speed then that's interesting

lsm1991

1,000 RPM

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ

nah cant be the exhaust. that at worst causes ur floorpan to resonate. also if it was, it would have existed before and after the rim change.

if the tire sticks out further, it does make sense for any vibrations to be exaggerated.

if anything id be looking at the driveshaft

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I need to experience it to understand. If the vibration is only at a specific speed then that's interesting
You referring to the vibration suspected caused by the loud exhaust ? Around 160-180 km/h, the car is at around 4k rpm and it sounds the loudest.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
nah cant be the exhaust. that at worst causes ur floorpan to resonate. also if it was, it would have existed before and after the rim change.

if the tire sticks out further, it does make sense for any vibrations to be exaggerated.

if anything id be looking at the driveshaft
Actually i felt the vibration or pulsing is most obvious in the floor and seats. Body is ok.

My mechanic already warned me on the vibration due to the tyre sticking out far from the wheel hub. Driveshaft is in perfect condition, in fact i just changed a pair last week. The tyre is almost out of the car body though

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Actually i felt the vibration or pulsing is most obvious in the floor and seats. Body is ok.

My mechanic already warned me on the vibration due to the tyre sticking out far from the wheel hub. Driveshaft is in perfect condition, in fact i just changed a pair last week. The tyre is almost out of the car body though
Ah ok. I think I have an idea what you're referring to. Just fyi the hub and all aren't necessarily built to perfect specs, there's always some tolerance. So even if you have perfect rims and tyres and everything else there will be some imbalances somewhere. On-wheel balancing is a manual art and if done properly should fix any vibrations.

But to experience the pulse or vibration at a specific speed - erm.... and no exhaust should not affect your wheel vibrations la. If you're coming for the 30th TT - let me test test your car pls! I am dying to know how an e46 1j feels like

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Do you mean -1 deg? -0.1 is near 0......lol

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Ah ok. I think I have an idea what you're referring to. Just fyi the hub and all aren't necessarily built to perfect specs, there's always some tolerance. So even if you have perfect rims and tyres and everything else there will be some imbalances somewhere. On-wheel balancing is a manual art and if done properly should fix any vibrations.

But to experience the pulse or vibration at a specific speed - erm.... and no exhaust should not affect your wheel vibrations la. If you're coming for the 30th TT - let me test test your car pls! I am dying to know how an e46 1j feels like
Hahaha no need dying to know, i will be there with the E46

Nothing drastic as it's an automatic 1JZ with 3.46 final drive, good for high speed driving but a bit underwhelming at the hill climb. Just had a drive up to Genting last Saturday and engine needs time to build up boost to get acceleration, and by the time ideal boost has reached, my speed is already about 110 km/h on the straight and corners will require me to drop the speed down to 50-60 km/h, RPM is under 2.5k that time and boost is out of the way haha.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Do you mean -1 deg? -0.1 is near 0......lol
Yeah - 0.1, i am not running anything special as this car is built for leisure driving and none of hard cornering. Right now i am looking to kill the exhaust noise, looking for someone who can fix it up the interior and audio system and take it to a long distance drive. Guess its a long journey.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

One more thing i left out, the nut holes on my BMW's current rim is M14 size while the wheel hub hole is M12, therefore i custom 20 pcs of nut spacers to make M12 nut to able to fit in the rim's M14 hole. Do you guys think that could contribute to my current issue ?

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah - 0.1, i am not running anything special as this car is built for leisure driving and none of hard cornering. Right now i am looking to kill the exhaust noise, looking for someone who can fix it up the interior and audio system and take it to a long distance drive. Guess its a long journey.
What is your original specs? If original is positive then -0.1 is negative. Most of my friends already running -1 to -1.5 for daily....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Ladies and gentlemen, Honda Malaysia is proud to present their newly revised and ever-popular and best selling CKD sedan that Honda says you will be able to experience economical driving within a spacious interior.

<!--more-->Powered by Honda’s SOHC i-VTEC 1.5L 4-banger, it still provides the best power output; 118bhp at 6,600rpm and 145Nm of torque at 4,800rpm, and comes in either the Grade...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience