Tips to improve Fuel Economy

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Tips to improve Fuel Economy

(Applicable for all vehicles including Cars, motorcycles, trucks, bikes etc)

Here are some very good tips on improving your vehicle's Fuel Economy / Increase Fuel Efficiency / Mileage. You’ll be amazed with these techniques and tips which seem so simple yet improve Fuel Efficiency drastically. In view of increasing fuel prices it is becoming more and more prudent to use them.

Use your gears wisely
Try to switch to highest gear as soon as possible without laboring/stressing the engine. It is the most fuel-efficient way of driving. A vehicle travelling at 60kmph in third gear uses 25% more fuel than at the same speed in fifth gear.

Drive smoothly
Don’t keep your engine racing even seeing a red signal and suddenly braking to halt at signal. Think ahead! By applying light throttle and avoiding heavy braking, you can reduce both fuel consumption and wear and tear. Try to predict traffic at junctions and when in queuing to avoid accelerating and then braking. Research suggests driving techniques can influence car fuel efficiency by as much as 30%.

Switch off your engine
This one is a bit tricky. If the stop is for more than a minute, switch off your vehicle engine. It can save up to 5% of fuel consumption. However, switching your engine off for short periods of time can actually increase fuel consumption, as it requires more fuel to get the engine started. Also your catalytic converter will no
longer be running at full temperature and so your car will be less efficient, increasing the amount of pollution you cause. However if you are stopped for more than a few minutes then your car will simply burn less fuel
with the engine stopped.

Drive off promptly to prevent wasting fuel
Don’t wait for the last minute to leave for office. Leave early to drive gently and avoid harsh driving. Leave engine running for 15-20 seconds at first start up and drive off smoothly. Let engine reach optimum temperature before speeding.

Lighten your load
If you don’t need it, don’t carry it. The lighter the load, the lower the fuel consumption, emissions, the higher the fuel efficiency.

Tyres effect fuel efficiency
This might sound minuscule, but tyre pressure can affect fuel efficiency vastly. It is estimated that about 50% of tyres on the road are under inflated. Apart from increasing the rate of wear & tear, this also wastes fuel and decreases your fuel efficiency. Check your tyre pressures every fortnight. Worn tyres will also decrease fuel efficiency (and your safety!), so check the tread regularly.

Clean and maintain the Air Filter
One of the most common reasons for a drop in fuel efficiency is a dirty intake filter. This will decrease the amount of air entering the cylinders of the engine resulting in incomplete combustion. Check the filter regularly to ensure that it is clean.

Spark Plugs
Ensure your spark plugs are in good condition. Renew the plugs and wires at intervals specified by the owners manual. This will keep all cylinders firing properly & at optimum level resulting in higher efficiency.

Lube Oil
Change the lube oil at regular intervals & use only recommended oil especially in newer cars. Use of an engine flush before changing the oil will help to get rid of a lot of the dirt that collects in the engine that a normal oil change will not remove.

Exhausts alter fuel efficiency
Most of the vehicles have special sizes for the exhaust. When vehicle is reasonably old the silence has to be changed. The garage people always try to fit a size that they have in the garage itself. Which might not be the exact size
recommended for the car. The wrong size a bigger or smaller silencer size effects on the MPG of the car and the HP of the car. It may be cheaper to put another size than your recommended size for your car but on the long run
it will cost you in many ways, especially on fuel consumption. Always ask for recommended size of the exhaust that is indicated in your car manual because the car company knows how to optimize the performance of your car.

Drive safely everyone :driver:

k66vO

Last edited:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
hahaha true true
RIGHT LEG most important
my fc dam suck lah on a putra auto its like 50 bucks ron 97 300km
im assuming thats terrible for a car with no mods whatsoever
but my right leg is not helping the situation lol

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
"Worn tyres will also decrease fuel efficiency (and your safety!), so check the tread regularly."

haahhaa... i know that... ahhahaa...:biggrin:

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
most important is control our right leg, otherwise drive a small cc car also still high FC.

Niemans1116

Known Member
Jul 1, 2010
SinCity
Yea..check 02 sensor whether still in good working condition, if 02 sensor kong out-FC suffers like hell. Get the correct exhaust mode, incorrectly or getting a chap ayam exhaust system not only a waste of money but making FC suffers.

May 24, 2010
Astana
What do you think about Double Magnetic Fuel Saver and Power Compressor?
I mean How efficiently these devices could decrease fuel consumption?

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 13, 2004
Char Kuoy Teow
What do you think about Double Magnetic Fuel Saver and Power Compressor?
I mean How efficiently these devices could decrease fuel consumption?
they only increase the efficiency of the combustion chamber, you will only realise the saving of fc in long term.

Jul 8, 2010
PJ
Anybody noe whats a stock satria 4G15 fc like ? mine is like rm 50 ron 95, going about 280 km...is this alright ?

Niemans1116

Known Member
Jul 1, 2010
SinCity
There are so many fuel saving devices in the market nowadays. But the problem is you need to PAY first before you even can realise the fuel saving capabilities of such devices.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi sifu's,
juz wondering why the top speed of my car 1.8 Mivec hard to reach 200km/h after 160km/h...im using standard gti gearbox....i tot standard gti gearbox should be able to reach 200km/h without any problem....pls help me
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience