Throwing off the cat for 8.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
It's really HOT especially during traffic jam on the center console. Some said removing the cat will help.

1) Is this myth true?
2) What is the side effect?
3) Will the CEL lite up after cat removed?

Thank you!

limaynard

Sep 28, 2012
Sydney / NSW
I can only comment on the CEL. When my cat blew the CEL was on all the time so removing it is likely to have the same effect.

I also read it somewhere too.

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
The cat is not hotter then your G/B, cat is under the G/B, then the G/B is under your center console, so removing the cat will do nothing much, upgrade the stock cooler n add cooler fan to it, should make a diff, some 8 owner try cook an egg on the center console B4. Malaysia weather so hot, my car also very hot on the footrest( downpipe + G/B ), Adding fan to the tranny cooler work reduced a lot of heat off my footrest n now is warm n can put my feet on it( thermal wrap + heat shield the downpipe should settle mine problem ).

Many mid G/B car also having this issue but RX8 G/B is so close the the body, that make it cooking hot, imagine 90-100C boiling water. Reduce temp on your G/B will prolong the lifespan of the tranny oil n G/B, only pro no con. Also can add heat shield or heat insulation under the console.

Many owner think its the cat but is the G/B...

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Bro dayline668, wah how many cars you have? Legacy, RX8 and? Prolly R35 huh? :)

Thanks for the advice. But the car aren't moving (traffic jam) and yet, the gearbox is still HOT?

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Bro dayline668, wah how many cars you have? Legacy, RX8 and? Prolly R35 huh? :)

Thanks for the advice. But the car aren't moving (traffic jam) and yet, the gearbox is still HOT?
Haha.. i have corolla, kenari n legacy... Not my RX8 but my neighbor car la... i just :love: car so much n try to learn all about it n hopefully to collect them:stupid:. GTR35 is in the list... hehe...

When car not moving, no wind blowing the cooler ma... If u waiting at the traffic light n your radiator fan not running, will your water temp go up...? In AT car G/B overheat faster then engine, that y u need a fan for the tranny cooler.

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Ahh I see. :) Thanks for the advice bro. RX8 comes with oil cooler but you're right, I guess I need to install a fan to cool down the oil cooler. Probably a PC-fan will work but need to wire up a fan controller lo...

Bro, one more thing. Are you well versed with ECU wirings? The car came with Apexi RSM but then, no signal is coming from RPM or SPEEDO. I suspect the connection isn't there. I've tried to setup the setting for the car like how many rotors etc etc based on user manual but still not helping.

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Find a water proof fan, pc fan will short when water get in, u dun wan your car blowing fuse. Connect it to your rad fan so it work together.

Have u try looking at the wiring..? all connected..? will try look for rx8 diagram for u when i'm free...

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
It seem like rsm is not compatible with rx8. rx8 is can bus system, so sell the rsm n buy a new colour touch screen info meter :rofl:

Attachments

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
wow.... then why did the previous owner install it in the first place?

No no.. no sell! my 4G63T can use! hehehhee...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

This morning while I'm waiting for the engine to heat up, i saw white smoke coming out from my exhaust, the white smoke is not that bad as those motorbike smoke. What could this be ar? muffler going off soon? or? :unsure:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience