Thinking of getting mr2 turbo, need advice

ValMar

Jun 29, 2006
yo guys, i'm thinking of getting an mr2 turbo, but as a newbie in the MR world, i have some questions~
may i know what makes this car differ from other sports car?
is this car good on curvy road or deep cornering? track car?
is the car powerful?
good for everyday use? maintainence?
will the engine witstand heavy punishment?
and the important part is the car loanable? since currently i have 15k cash at hand for downpayment and the rest for loan lar hehe.
if yes then u guys know of any mr2 for sale? i want good/pristine condition one.

camlok

Aug 30, 2006
I'll try answering this, but for all the gurus out there, feel free to correct me.

may i know what makes this car differ from other?
It is Mid enginer Rear wheel drive. Most other cars are FF/FR.

is this car good on curvy road or deep cornering? track?
Normally an MR car has better handling than an FF/FR, but for the MR2 SW20, you need to watch out when you are taking a corner at high speed. An inexperience driver might lose control of the car. As for track car, a stock SW20 is quite decent but you will need mods if you really want to be good.

is the car powerful?
Yes. :P

More HP than the new Civic typr R, and slightly lighter, if I'm not mistaken. Can hit 0-100 in 6 seconds range.

Depends what you use it for. It's a 2 seater and have limited storage space, so not good if you are bringning your wife/fiancee/mother/mother in law for shopping. Maintenance wise you will have to let one of the many owners here answer that.

It will depend on the condition of the car you are getting, and how you plan to punish it :P

and the important part is the car loanable? since currently i have 15k cash at hand for downpayment and the rest for loan lar hehe.
As for all 2nd hand car >10 years old, obtaining bank loan is almost impossible. You can try a 3rd party loan/personal loans from bank, but it will be at a higher interest rate (~8-10% me thinks)

if yes then u guys know of any mr2 for sale? i want good/pristine condition one.
I think there were a few for sale in the forums in the past few months. A good condition stock one will go around 40k, while a modified one can go to 60k or even higher.

V-Pilot

Known Member
Nov 29, 2003
yo guys, i'm thinking of getting an mr2 turbo, but as a newbie in the MR world, i have some questions~
may i know what makes this car differ from other sports car?
is this car good on curvy road or deep cornering? track car?
is the car powerful?
I also like to answer this on my own opinion :biggrin:

"may i know what makes this car differ from other sports car?"
--> can't aford a ferrari, MR2 loh..., same type.

" is this car good on curvy road or deep cornering? track car?"
--> like camlok has said, watch out for corner during high speed especially if you have upgrade the engine power.

"is the car powerful?"
--> Yes. it is fun & powerful enough on street as stock.

"good for everyday use? maintainence?"
--> Yes. if you are driving alone to work everyday. maintainence is somehow follows standard procedure.

"will the engine witstand heavy punishment?"
--> Mostly, the toyota 3S made by yamaha is a good engine. it depend how and what you want to do with it.

Loan issue, i think the most we can ask from bank is the personal loan package which is lately introduced by most of the bank in the market.

conclusion : make your action, get one for yourself, you wil not regret having this. :proud:

Let see every owner of different opinion?

ValMar

Jun 29, 2006
ooo, not bad not bad, but what do u guys mean by 3rd party loan? :hmmmm: well the prob is i'm not 21 yet till next year, so any good way got get loan ah? loopholes?:rofl:

Last edited:

ValMar

Jun 29, 2006
awww man, wish could get it soon, hand itchy liao :(

tom's

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
subang
www.zerotohundred.com
all not important.......the loan is important.....can't get loan anymore unless u got uncle/aunty working in a bank.......credit company is the next try but higher interest........u will be looking around 9-10% and the amount won't be that much say RM15-20K plus ur RM15K=30-35K u might only get an auto na with this price......

ValMar

Jun 29, 2006
i'm okay with credit loan tho, but if cant get much loan then maybe hafta wait till next year liao :P

spikyz

Known Member
Jan 9, 2006
Hi Valmar, i just got mine last 4 weeks i think. and all the ans given by the sifus are correct =) i have no regrets buying one, im proud of having one.

but for the loan thing dude, i dont think it is a good idea to take a high risk loan, becoz when u bought this car, it is very hard to sell it back when u need money for emergency n stuff like that. why dont u keep money first and shopping later?

just my 2 cents cheers!