The TOYOTA 86 is finally here in Malaysia! - Specs and Prices

Discussion in 'News and Features' started by Jay, Jun 1, 2012.

1. 220mph

220mph Senior Member

original ae86 was good for its simplicity. its pure and direct. this one is the total opposite. not to say this one is worst then its 36 years old sibling. but i dont really see the resemblance on the both of it. its nearly 300kg heavier for comparison sake. It would make me happier in a way to see them promoting this car as a totally new model, rather then trying to link up to the old model etc etc. In my opinion, it its just riding on the hype of ae86 popularity. However izzit a good car? i hope so. Izzit a car that I want? Yes. Izzit a car that I will pay 250k for one, I don’t think so. With that price, will it be better then my type r till I will trade in for one? No. infact logic will tell alot of us here, with 250k, theres tons of option out there.

#21 220mph, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. alwjmonster

alwjmonster Senior Member

Very UGLY car in my opinion. the design makes the car looks cheap.

3. HoHooi!

HoHooi! 5 Year | Silver

walawei...look at the price...
    :banghead:

4. Veloc

Veloc Senior Member

Hmm... 6 secs sounds a bit Godlike for 2.0 L NA. Love this car very much... But the price... Sigh... Just a little bit short of most 2.0 L turbocharged rally cars.

5. wkwoo69

wkwoo69 Senior Member

Yes the price is high for what it is but that's the score for us here. So what's the point of moaning and groaning about the price. Work hard to find the cash or migrate la. Civic Type R is more hardcore track machine and is certainly faster but this is a coupe and a RWD one to boot. And you won't be able to build an 86 replica out of a CKD unit.

6. xMika

xMika Senior Member

Hope my car can cucuk this hachiroku hahaha ... totally the same power output for hp and torque

7. g4i8y0t

g4i8y0t Senior Member

This 86 is never about outright power.. It's about ---> :driver:

8. stevenseahkl

stevenseahkl From Facebook

Hmm I go see it in flesh.. Inhave a strange feeling it might look good in flesh. Tho I was one of those who said it is ugly too. Great
    Effort on the photography! No not a potential buyer. For 250... So many options like the megane rs... That's a mean looking car megane

9. detomaso_runna

detomaso_runna Senior Member

NA boxer. bwahahaha i seeeeee many second hands in coming. boxer engine + na = high FC

10. tIANcI

tIANcI 5 Year | Silver

Had a good look at the car today. Quality is crap. For asking price of 240+k it's a joke. Dash is so low quality, not much better than a Myvi la. Upholstery is so darn cheap. Body panels are like Milo tin. El Cheapo tyres on 17" rims.

Sales people at Toyota dealership in Kota Damansara like tidak apa attitude only. Went to see at Giza Mall and the sales person has not much enthusiasm nor good product knowledge at all about the car.

Does Toyota think that their car is such an amazing handling machine that people will want to buy it at this price? At this level people will compare it with the Megane, Cooper S, Scirocco 2.0, Golf GTi etc that gives you so much more for the price. This car is nothing near a FD2R for sure in terms of value for money.

For a mere 20k more can buy a nice E90 325i la which has so much more luxury etc. I find the CRZ to be of better quality than the FT86. I wonder how this car handles, no test drive units. Just buy then know how it handles.

Dealers are dreaming of making money off the consumer only. This car is pretty pathetic for 240k.

11. mcfoo

mcfoo 5 Year | Silver

This is awesome, A better AE86.

12. WhiteMouse

WhiteMouse Senior Member

i will go for fd2r still have some money to upgrade some part lol

13. BabyGodzillaGTi-R

BabyGodzillaGTi-R Senior Member

Bottom line if u guys want more power there's so much other alternatives for the price.
    No doubt it's rare to find a rwd performance car these days but if one likes a playful chassis this car is pretty sweet.
    Overall it's a nicely balanced car in terms of handling and chuckability.

But when it comes to power... sorry lah.. It's adquate for a stock car, but when comparing to the likes of cars of similar price like the Civic Type R, Megane RS, Golf GTi... hmm....

I guess the closest rwd that can exceed its straight line performance in the rear world for the price of the FT86 would be an E90 325i Sports or a S2000.

14. MetalMic

MetalMic Senior Member

Untung Manyak Wang.... :D

15. katanakote123

katanakote123 5 Year | Silver

If this car can tune its single throttle to more longer ITB's,:hmmmm: y not?sure sounds good :rofl::smokin:

16. keeltha

keeltha Senior Member

200bhp = good enough for a car that emphasize on handling
    1100kg = light enough
    low CG design like RX8 = superb
    FMR + 200bhp + 1100kg = potential become latest best handling car... but need tons of skill to drive fast enough !

RM250k ? = file closed... overprice ??!! HELL YEAH !!!!

17. katanakote123

katanakote123 5 Year | Silver

"Wheres my legend hachiroku ?!" ...This is what Toyota gives you ":thefinger:"

18. wilm3

wilm3 Senior Member

haha...as our forumer said...ppl buy it not bcos it's car....they buy it bcos they treat it as their toy....

19. dekaiser

dekaiser 5 Year | Silver

takumi will be pissed off...lol...no more tofu driving in this car though...

20. tony5050

tony5050 Senior Member

Too pricey..