The New NSX - A Hybrid Superstar?

d4rk

Known Member
Jul 26, 2010
Johor Bahru

Did you know that during the McLaren F1’s development, all the benchmark cars that chief engineer Gordon Murray was using as a reference (Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche) was totally forgotten once he had his hands on driving one of Japan’s legend, the Honda NSX?

With a remarkable quality and handling, the NSX was dubbed as the “Everyday Supercar” back in its days due to those characteristics. The NSX may not be as fast as its European counterparts at blasting in the straights, but the amazing cornering capabilities just puts it above the rest.

So when the last batch of NSX rolled out of the factories in 2005, the fans were reluctant in waving goodbye to the ever-great Japanese supercar. Although Honda did have a plan to make a successor for the legend, the project then had to be cancelled due to the bad financial situation back in late 2008, where Honda had to shift its focus to more green and profitable cars like the Insight and CR-Z.

The scrapped project was never really revived as a road car, but it did went on replacing the NSX's place in the Super GT series, where it is known today as the HSV-010.

But not all hope was lost on that occasion as word on the NSX’s replacement never died along the years. Numerous teaser pictures and renderings later, finally the new NSX takes the stage in its first physical shape at the Detroit Motor Show in January, and pretty much stole the spotlight in the recent 2012 Geneva Motor Show.

Although it is not going to be put into production anytime soon (speculated to be in 2015), some of the details of this much-anticipated new generation supercar has already been released. Besides of having a V6 engine mounted in the same position as the old version, the new NSX will incorporate a new technology, raising it up into a whole new level. The one mentioned here is the Electric Sport-Handling All-Wheel Drive or E-SH-AWD.

Yes, it is electric, and all-wheel drive. Looks like this is really going to be an all-new NSX. Basically, the V6 will only be sending its power to the rear, and the power for the front wheels will be generated by two electric motors; one for each wheel. It is said that this new system will provide the new NSX rocket acceleration, due to the massive torque these electric motors will generate.

Honda NSX Concept and Gran Turismo 5 Trailer - 2012 Geneva Motor Show - YouTube

But it is not only superb acceleration that the system provides. It is a bit complicated to explain, and I might not be able to convey it accurately into words like James May could. So as a substitute, here's a video from the guys at Polyphony Digital showing basically how the new system works on the new NSX in their awesomely-built digital playground, Gran Turismo 5.

So it looks like the green movement has gained great momentum, and the supercars can no longer escape from the inevitable. Honda is already in with this NSX, and Porsche too with its 918 concept. I really can't wait to see something from the famous gas-guzzlers like Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin to come out with one of their own.

By the way, some sources had said that this new NSX will make an appearance in the upcoming Avengers movie, so keep an eye for it!

Images from:
Honda NSX 1990 3D Model by SQUIR
Free Car Wallpapers > Honda > Honda NSX Type-R, 2005 | Free Computer Desktop Wallpapers 1024x768
Detroit motor show: Honda NSX - Detroit motor show 2012 - Picture Gallery - Autocar.co.uk
Porsche AG - Press releases - About Porsche - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Even though i love the design of the new nsx, i am very disappointed with the power or the lack of it. My modified turbo nsx has 560rwhp so it is hard to be excited with anything below 500rwhp.