Taking my car to Bangkok, Thailand

sodeck

Known Member
Mar 26, 2007
Hi All,

I have to work in Bangkok for a year (possibly 2) and I plan to take my Malaysian car across the border (Bukit Kayu Hitam)and drive straight to Bangkok. I was wandering if anyone has experienced doing this? I googled and found out some good info but would like to know more in details such as:

1) what paperwork should I prepare
2) How much to pay at the Immigration/customs
3) How long is the permit valid? I read somewhere that at the customs you will be given a permit for 1 month, but you can extend to a maximum of 6 months.
4) Can we ask for 6 month permit when we first enter Thailand (in my case, at Bkt Kayu Hitam border).
5) What should i do to get more permit after completing 6 months.
6) Is anyone (agent or runner) that can do this, or can I just do it myself
7) Is the road to Bangkok safe? (I plan to travel in 2 days, stay overnight half way through)
8) Anything else that I should know in traveling in Thailand.

Thank you very much.

mokomoko

500 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
sorry about teh threadjacking sodeck, I would also like to know the procedures in driving a malaysian car to thailand =D

Me wanna go to hadyai fo holiday :wavey:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
sorry about teh threadjacking sodeck, I would also like to know the procedures in driving a malaysian car to thailand =D

Me wanna go to hadyai fo holiday :wavey:

bro, u wanna drive your car there, mod it & return ah?
i wanna do the same too haha....the aftermarket parts there
are kinda cheap & reliable...

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
cheap meh?

Last time i browse through one mod shop gallery not very cheap leh, might as well buy in msia...
Anyway... southern region always got bombing case due to religion issue, and right now they are having political fight between king and ex-pm... many countries have issued travel warning to their citizen...

sodeck

Known Member
Mar 26, 2007
Mokomoko, no problem. in your case (from what i read), if you travel with your own car, not borrowed or rented, take the car ownership (Geran) with you, the car should have valid road tax too. Take any paperwork related to the buying of the car such as loan document or Transfer of ownership from the bank or receipt. International driver licence is not required as long as you are a Malaysian or Singaporean. You do not have to pay anything at the Thai customs but need to buy some car insurance coverage. It was said that an agent can do the whole thing from A to Z for you. an immediate 1 month permit will be given to you. if we can get a hold of this agenr, our problem can be solved. My case is a little bit difficult because I am entering Thai for the purpose of employment and I need to be there for a year. From what I heard, they will only give temporary car importation permit for the purpose of tourism as in your case. Well, good luck and if you succesfully reach Hadyai with your own car, don't forget to let me know the procedures, possibly with some phone numbers of those involved too. thanks.

Saga Continue

1,500 RPM
May 14, 2004
Ampang Baybeh
Visit site
question no 7: The road is safe...i drove down from bangkok 3 times already....just watch out for the bikes and cars coming in the wrong directions on the road shoulder....i suggest stop and rest in hadyai....then drive to bangkok around 10am...then ya possibly reach bangkok in 10-13 hours and just icely miss the famous bangkok jam...

sodeck

Known Member
Mar 26, 2007
Saga, thanks a lot. do you remember the part where you obtained the temporary permit to drive your vehicle in Thailand? How long did they give the permit for? Or how they decided how long the permit would be? or can we just ask for the maximum ie. 6 months?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my apm sport spring always leave the spring seat whenever i jack up my kenari. hv anyone experience it? how to solve the problem? especially when the car jumo a little, i can hear the spring hit the spring seat when the spring is seated.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience