sylphy normal service

arulthas

Jul 31, 2006
As much I tried to digest the logic behind the service cost incurring for servicing my Sylphy 2.0 it just doesn’t add up. Today I went for normal service and cost me RM300++ and this happening every 5000KM (5k). Then I chat with my brother who owner Camry 2.0. The service his car every 10k and using full fully synthetic oil and the cost will be around RM300. Ironic enough but this the fact Sylphy 2.0 service cost double then servicing a Camry and funny enough with Mineral oil compare to full synthetic oil. Can someone enlighten me where is the mystery here?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Is it just the regular oil change. Sometimes they change spark plugs, filter, and other things. But anyways, i never go back to service centers to service. They are a total ripoff and they give you shit products. For that price I can change the oil outside with Motul full synthetic.

arulthas

Jul 31, 2006
Here the breakdown:
Labour
Standard Lube Service $44.00
ECCS-Consult Diagnosis $30.00
Whell Alignment-2 Wheels $28.00
Whell Balancing-Allow/Wheel $35.00

Total Labour $137.00

Parts
oil pan washer(small) $2.50
gtx professional 15w40 $77.90
oil filter $30.50
friction proofing engine treatment $22.00
easi spit fire(petrol) $25.00

total $157.90

+ 6% service tax $8.22

Grand total $303.12

Is it just the regular oil change. Sometimes they change spark plugs, filter, and other things. But anyways, i never go back to service centers to service. They are a total ripoff and they give you shit products. For that price I can change the oil outside with Motul full synthetic.

Pazz

Jun 2, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Your lube oil is mineral lube oil, usually mineral lube oil need to be change every 5000km compared to full synthetic oil..full synthetic oil need to be changed up tp 10000km to 15000km the price of full synthetic is slightly higher compared to minarel oil. Take petronas synthium for instance, mineral lube oil synthium 800 cost around rm80++ but synthium 1000 cost around rm150++ ...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Here the breakdown:
Labour

Total Labour $137.00

Parts
oil filter $30.50

total $157.90

+ 6% service tax $8.22

Grand total $303.12
What in the blazes?!?!? Engine oil additive endorsed by Tan Cheong Motors??? And you have to do alignment and balancing every 5000km??? You're getting ripped off big time my friend!

And what on earth is a easi spit fire???

I really strongly recommend you bring this up with Tan Cheong motors hq and ask why they are adding engine additives and whether this will affect warranty, also why they are doing balancing and alignment so damn frequently.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
What in the blazes?!?!? Engine oil additive endorsed by Tan Cheong Motors??? And you have to do alignment and balancing every 5000km??? You're getting ripped off big time my friend!

And what on earth is a easi spit fire???

I really strongly recommend you bring this up with Tan Cheong motors hq and ask why they are adding engine additives and whether this will affect warranty, also why they are doing balancing and alignment so damn frequently.

Here the breakdown:
Labour

Total Labour $137.00

Parts
oil filter $30.50

total $157.90

+ 6% service tax $8.22

Grand total $303.12
Yeah, you're getting ripped off here. Those items I bold above are not needed, which totals to rm116.60 (including tax). So actually you only need to spend max rm186.52.

Wheel alignment and balancing should only be done if you have a problem with steering not straight and vibrations. You can go even up to 20-30k km without having even a single alignment and balancing!
I suspect the 'easi spit fire' is some kind of fuel system/injector cleaner.

This is common for people who don't really know about cars, hence easy target for any workshops (authorized SC or not) to rip them off. Btw which Tan Chong SC is this? I always go to the one in Chan Sow Lin and IMHO so far they're just fine. They always ask me first for each item if I agree to go ahead, never just do and suddenly come up with ridiculous items like in your bill. But maybe when I came the first time, I already give the impression that I know a bit about cars and be specific on what I want them to check, hence maybe they can already sense that they cannot bullshit me.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
wow!! Since when TC is peddling items like:

Maybe the workshop staffs wanna cari makan izit? Just like restaurant offering and charging a plate of kacang for their waiters' "pocket money" Anyway, I dont think TC endorsed such product that I havent heard of before..... Very fishy

arulthas

Jul 31, 2006
That is exactly my point and that is the reason i post my queries here from stop getting ripped off. Btw, let me clarify and add further before you guys can advice me my next move. I have vet through all my service papers from 5k - 60k and found the following:

1. The below is done every 10k, is this price reasonable i should do it outside and what is the recommended frequency if not 10k?
    Whell Alignment-2 Wheels - $28
    Whell Balancing-Allow/Wheel - $35

2. The below on 5k, 15k, 25k, 35k, 45k, 55k:
    friction proofing engine treatment - $22.00
    easi spit fire(petrol) - $25.00

So again the question, i can safely ignore this and there will be no issue with my car?

3. The below on 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k, 50k, 60k:
    valclean - $85.00
    octane booster - $25.00
    hospower - $50.00

Can I also ignore the above?

4. I am thinking if it will be alright to switch to fully synthetic oil and go every 10k interval? I saw my brother camry 2.0, he only go service every 10k.

Thank you.

Yeah, you're getting ripped off here. Those items I bold above are not needed, which totals to rm116.60 (including tax). So actually you only need to spend max rm186.52.

Wheel alignment and balancing should only be done if you have a problem with steering not straight and vibrations. You can go even up to 20-30k km without having even a single alignment and balancing!
I suspect the 'easi spit fire' is some kind of fuel system/injector cleaner.

This is common for people who don't really know about cars, hence easy target for any workshops (authorized SC or not) to rip them off. Btw which Tan Chong SC is this? I always go to the one in Chan Sow Lin and IMHO so far they're just fine. They always ask me first for each item if I agree to go ahead, never just do and suddenly come up with ridiculous items like in your bill. But maybe when I came the first time, I already give the impression that I know a bit about cars and be specific on what I want them to check, hence maybe they can already sense that they cannot bullshit me.

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
That is exactly my point and that is the reason i post my queries here from stop getting ripped off. Btw, let me clarify and add further before you guys can advice me my next move. I have vet through all my service papers from 5k - 60k and found the following:

1. The below is done every 10k, is this price reasonable i should do it outside and what is the recommended frequency if not 10k?

2. The below on 5k, 15k, 25k, 35k, 45k, 55k:

So again the question, i can safely ignore this and there will be no issue with my car?

3. The below on 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k, 50k, 60k:
    valclean - $85.00
    octane booster - $25.00
    hospower - $50.00

4. I am thinking if it will be alright to switch to fully synthetic oil and go every 10k interval? I saw my brother camry 2.0, he only go service every 10k.

Thank you.
Of course you can do away with those rubbish. If me, I will fk the service centre manager until his ass tear.

By the way, those charges are not overcharged. They are reasonable prices. The thing is, there is NO NEED for most of the things! you can do alignment yourself when you feel your car is out of alignment. For the octane booster and fuel additive, you can force it down the manager's throat. As for the engine oil additive, you can use it as a lube when you shove a broomstick up the manager's ass. :smokin:

arulthas

Jul 31, 2006
1. so can i conclude that i can safely or totally ignore #1, #2 & #3, right?
2. how about #4?

Of course you can do away with those rubbish. If me, I will fk the service centre manager until his ass tear.

By the way, those charges are not overcharged. They are reasonable prices. The thing is, there is NO NEED for most of the things! you can do alignment yourself when you feel your car is out of alignment. For the octane booster and fuel additive, you can force it down the manager's throat. As for the engine oil additive, you can use it as a lube when you shove a broomstick up the manager's ass. :smokin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

The below is done every 10k, is this price reasonable i should do it outside and what is the recommended frequency if not 10k?
That's actually quite reasonable for a service center. But you can do all 4 wheels alignment for about the same price outside and wheel balancing per wheel is RM5 outside so yes, skip this in future and do it only when you feel the car is unstable at high speeds (wobbling) or is more inclined to either the left or right sides when going straight or steering wheel is no longer straight, or if the tyre wear is uneven. Then just go do it at a reliable tyre store outside. Get recommendations and never agree to do camber nuts.

The below on 5k, 15k, 25k, 35k, 45k, 55k:

These are additives. Meaning they are added to the engine oil or petrol or whatever. Meaning if you don't add it nothing will happen. Two things I'd do if I were you :

1. Stop going to that service center and find another one. Make sure and insist they don't add anymore additives to your car.

2. Contact Tan Cheong Motors headquarters and find out if they will still honor any warranty claims especially after one of their official service centers started using additives as part of their service plan. If they refuse or deny, screw them up and threaten to complain to the consumer tribunal for fraud by the service center and the company.

If your car is no longer under warranty, then just call up Tan Cheong and report to them that this service center is blindly charging customers for additives that you never requested for and have no knowledge of.

The below on 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k, 50k, 60k:
valclean - $85.00
octane booster - $25.00
hospower - $50.00

Additives. Same reply as my earlier reply.

I am thinking if it will be alright to switch to fully synthetic oil and go every 10k interval? I saw my brother camry 2.0, he only go service every 10k.
Yes you can. But since you've been on mineral oil for so long, I'd advise you to get your car checked for possible leaks, worn seals or gaskets before switching to fully synthetic oil. That's the bad thing about mineral oils, they aren't that great to begin with and have a tendency to clog up worn out seals, holes, and all that giving you the illusion that all is well with your engine. Until one day the gunk is unable to seal up the issue and finally you get one giant catastrophic engine breakdown all at one go.

arulthas

Jul 31, 2006
Sylphy only require front wheel alignment as the rear wheel is tie to a axel. I was shocked when i first found this as it similar to my first car (proton iswara aeroback). I prefer periodic maintenance then wait for the things to break and look for a fix hence i decline this idea of wait and see i recon Nissan idea of performing wheel alignment and balancing every 10k but with outside tire service.

That's actually quite reasonable for a service center. But you can do all 4 wheels alignment for about the same price outside and wheel balancing per wheel is RM5 outside so yes, skip this in future and do it only when you feel the car is unstable at high speeds (wobbling) or is more inclined to either the left or right sides when going straight or steering wheel is no longer straight, or if the tyre wear is uneven. Then just go do it at a reliable tyre store outside. Get recommendations and never agree to do camber nuts.
As for the additives, i agree with you to stop using it totally moreover my car is no longer under warranty and I am for sure will bring this matter to Nissan HQ.

These are additives. Meaning they are added to the engine oil or petrol or whatever. Meaning if you don't add it nothing will happen. Two things I'd do if I were you :

1. Stop going to that service center and find another one. Make sure and insist they don't add anymore additives to your car.

2. Contact Tan Cheong Motors headquarters and find out if they will still honor any warranty claims especially after one of their official service centers started using additives as part of their service plan. If they refuse or deny, screw them up and threaten to complain to the consumer tribunal for fraud by the service center and the company.

If your car is no longer under warranty, then just call up Tan Cheong and report to them that this service center is blindly charging customers for additives that you never requested for and have no knowledge of.

Additives. Same reply as my earlier reply.

Thanks for the tip, on the next 65k service i will make sure to get them to check all the below before filling the fully synthetic oil.

Yes you can. But since you've been on mineral oil for so long, I'd advise you to get your car checked for possible leaks, worn seals or gaskets before switching to fully synthetic oil. That's the bad thing about mineral oils, they aren't that great to begin with and have a tendency to clog up worn out seals, holes, and all that giving you the illusion that all is well with your engine. Until one day the gunk is unable to seal up the issue and finally you get one giant catastrophic engine breakdown all at one go.

So in a nut-shell these are my plan on my next 65k service:
1. NO additives
2. Fully synthetic oil after examining the engine
3. Wheel alignment and balancing every 10k i.e. on my 75k service.

Last edited: