Super Strut or McPherson Suspension

zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara
Both have their Pros n Cons, handling stability to maintenance issues.
Share your views...

cms-gt4

Dec 31, 2006
USA
www.coldironworks.com
It depends what you are doing with the car and what gen. If you have a 5th gen, then the only SS you can get is a guy in Europe who carries TTE parts, but he won't sell them unless you buy an x-trac drivetraine too, which is well over 20,000 usd used.

If you have a 6th gen, the parts from a 205 or SSII are supposed swap over. The flaw with the 205 SS is that is cast iron bits in the fig 8 ect which ads to unsprung weight. It does have lots of advantages though. There is a rally team in Russia that we are trying to get to make aluminum replacement parts for the 205 SS setup.

If you rally your car then Mc is the way to go. It is more reliable. TTE found that they gain 3 seconds on tarmac with the SS setup, but loose 8 seconds n the gravel. It was dropped from the 205 rally car. The same rally team making the other bits offers a Mc conversion for 205 rally cars.

Mc needs expensive bushing maintenance, and when they are worn out, I am told the car handles poorly. I used to want SS in my 185, but I would have to make a custom subframe to use the 205 bits. There is a rumor that one person has used SS inhis 185, but no details have surfaced.

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
SSII on a gen 7 is superb... ff cars are generally prone to understeer but the SSII gen 7 is oversteer bias due to the superb front cornering traction..... oem replacement for a pair or front shocks is RM1700!!! Aftermarket coilover is RM8k.....

zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara
It depends what you are doing with the car and what gen. If you have a 5th gen, then the only SS you can get is a guy in Europe who carries TTE parts, but he won't sell them unless you buy an x-trac drivetraine too, which is well over 20,000 usd used.

If you have a 6th gen, the parts from a 205 or SSII are supposed swap over. The flaw with the 205 SS is that is cast iron bits in the fig 8 ect which ads to unsprung weight. It does have lots of advantages though. There is a rally team in Russia that we are trying to get to make aluminum replacement parts for the 205 SS setup.

If you rally your car then Mc is the way to go. It is more reliable. TTE found that they gain 3 seconds on tarmac with the SS setup, but loose 8 seconds n the gravel. It was dropped from the 205 rally car. The same rally team making the other bits offers a Mc conversion for 205 rally cars.

Mc needs expensive bushing maintenance, and when they are worn out, I am told the car handles poorly. I used to want SS in my 185, but I would have to make a custom subframe to use the 205 bits. There is a rumor that one person has used SS inhis 185, but no details have surfaced.
well, i was checking 6gc.net and some are converting their SS to Mc, since maintenance is eaiser (Found that my ST202 bushes are similar to AE111 ones, which are kinda cheap to get here) super strut parts for the 202 and 205 are rare to find.

Toytoa dealers stock a number of 7gen parts, since there is more demand and it shares some engine parts with the new corrola...

Bump:
SSII on a gen 7 is superb... ff cars are generally prone to understeer but the SSII gen 7 is oversteer bias due to the superb front cornering traction..... oem replacement for a pair or front shocks is RM1700!!! Aftermarket coilover is RM8k.....
Saw one guy who bought a Tein Coilovers from halfcut for RM2.5K, not sure if reasonable:smokin:

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
tein coilover for superstrut? 2.5k is cheap if it's still in good condition..... non superstrut Tein is 4k brand new.....

QuarterMile

Known Member
Nov 19, 2005
I think the macpherson strut is good enough unless you plan to drive a like a mad person/track.

However if it comes in original SS setup then its ok,to convert it is kinda tedious.I just found out my silly comes in normal setup.....pros cheap replacement cons cant think of any yet hehe.

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
quatermile.... it's not just the front suspension that's different.... SSII edition comes with rear tower strut bar, Helical LSD,leather steering and door panels, aluminium pedals and so on... :) :)

QuarterMile

Known Member
Nov 19, 2005
yeah i think they comes in sunroof too right...are you driving an SSII ??
If you are faster drive out i wanna see hehe....the helical LSD sounds nice.

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
mine is SS2... actually it's very confusing... SS2 means it's Gts/vvtL-i..... there's SS2 superstrut edition and SS2 non superstrut..... mine is superstrut.... no sun roof... sun roof is optional for all models in Japan....

best of the lot is the Sport M SS2 celica....

zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara
True, some more you'll get a different model/trim level in the other countries, like mine is basic model but got skirting like the full option model in JP:smokin:

Barb,

helical LSD ??

QuarterMile

Known Member
Nov 19, 2005
so for helical lsd do you have a different driveshaft or its the same as the normal type?
LSD only applies for manual right?

know any place that offers good service to celicas other than Trial(far) and TOMS?

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
same driveshaft..... and yes, for manual only.....

I service my car in Kepong.... in fact, about 20 of us from CCM service our cars there....

QuarterMile

Known Member
Nov 19, 2005
Lol i didnt know there a good mechanic in Kepong.
I stay nearby there actually...pls PM me the address. Thanks Barb

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Today, we are all the way at Melaka, the historical city of Malaysia. We have no prejudice on what car we work on, as long you love your car, we are always here to give your car our best.

Upon arrival, we inspected the car for surface...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience