Suggestions for 14" tyres

Discussion in 'Wheel And Tyre' started by G-Mart, Jan 28, 2018.

1. G-Mart

G-Mart New Member

Shopping for 175/65R14 or 185/60R14 tyres of my Myvi, seems like very limited choices these days without going into 15 inch wheels and sacrificing the ride comfort.

So far I gathered there are Continental Comfort Contact 6, Toyo Nano Energy 3, Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 (standard on Bezza), and Hankook Kinergy EX H308(standard on Axia Advance). Are there are choices? Or, if between the 4, which is the more recommended one with decent dry/wet grip?

Main usage is city drive with occasional interstate (like maybe every quarter of the year or so)

#1 G-Mart, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. vr2turbo

vr2turbo Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Tyre choices for these 2 sizes got a lot, only if you want performance tyres then limited or probably none except for extreme category.....lol

Most choices in these sizes are eco and entry level. They are about the same in usage, more for comfort and durability.
    Other than the 4 above, there is Michelin XM2, Dunlop J05, Achilles 122, Falken Sincera 832i, Yokohama Bluearth AE-01, Nexen Nblue HD Plus, Kumho KH17, Rovelo RHP A68 and RHP 78 to name a few

Other brand like GT Radial, Accelera, Giti from Indonesia. Apollo tyres from India, and a whole lot of other brands from China....

3. G-Mart

G-Mart New Member

Well, yeah, there are a lot more choices, but seems like the ones that kept coming up are these 4. Not trying to be super cheap but something offering a decent balance of grip in both wet and dry. Don't really care for durability since, well, this car only does at best 10,000km a year, so, even by the time the tyres are expired, it had only done 35k-40k kilometers only.

I do realise there aren't any high performance options at all. Oh well.

4. RENESIS VIII

RENESIS VIII Senior Member

At this size, I think they perform more or less the same. For me, I am using Good Year Duraplus 185/60/14 for my front tyres and they don't grip that well in wet conditions. It can break traction easily as well during gear changes at hard acceleration.

5. kurt_629

kurt_629 Active Member

if you dont travel fast and appreciate comfort and quiet, go for CC6.

6. vr2turbo

vr2turbo Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Your duraplus if not mistaken Traction rating B only.....:smokin:

7. vr2turbo

vr2turbo Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

The entry level tyres as long as branded like the 4 you mentioned are about the same. Should not got wrong with any of them for normal use. Well, have some feedback the the Toyo's are okay too....:driver:

8. loose_end

loose_end Senior Member

Should be about rm90 to rm120 for this level of tyres ? 14''

9. gunnerzz

gunnerzz Well-Known Member

Strongly recommend XM2 but price is steep and by the time its harden i bet u still have 1/2 thread left.

Viking City tech justify the price tag with its so-so grip and high noise level.

Silverstone synergy?? do i get this right?
    well below Viking in term of grip but seems to be quiter.

Michelin Certis..not sure in production anymore or not...cheaper than XM2 but perform the same.

those are the 14inchers i have experienced before.

10. 6UE5t

6UE5t Senior Member

Huh, that's even worse than the already crappy CC5/6 from Continental leh!

11. RENESIS VIII

Nope. Traction A. The one for B is temperature rating.

I don't think so unless you are buying very cheap tyres. Even 13 inch tyres are not this cheap. 14 inch should be around RM140-180.

There is another tyre that can be counted as a budget Michelin is BF Goodrich Advantage T/A. BF Goodrich is under Michelin now.

Viking City Tech is better than Goodyear Duraplus in my opinion.

Traction rating is A, not B, lol.

12. 6UE5t

6UE5t Senior Member

Temp rating B is also bad loh! :biggrin:

13. RENESIS VIII

It really sucks. I have not seen any tyres myself with any rating lower than A.

14. vr2turbo

vr2turbo Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Michelin Certis discon long time already.....

15. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Use the BFGoodridge tyres. I use on my wifes Myvi and cornering is way better than the cheaper Viking tyres I use on my other Myvi. BFG has reasonably good water dispersion too.

16. vr2turbo

vr2turbo Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Am surprised since only got 2 straight line....:hmmmm:

BF-Goodrich.jpg

17. gunnerzz

deep wide grooves...technically should be good in wet compared to viking city tech.With Viking, the 'feel' in wet is not there.i drive like old uncle with eye sight problem if its raining quite heavily.

But the viking with smaller thread block is noisy..could be the compound they used.

The GY Ducaro GA which comes with my BLM when its new performed really good compared to the Viking.

18. vr2turbo

vr2turbo Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Could be the compound but then generally entry level compound almost the same....lol

Some comment the Toyo Nanoenery NE-03 also not bad...:driver:

19. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Considering BFG is under Michelin and is technically Michelins "Cheap and cheerful" tyre arm, I would be surprised if their tyre quality was shit.

So it's decided then. Viking tyres are not great. hahaha

Why la? It works

20. gunnerzz

For me initially its not good as i undergo 'upgrading' then 'downgrading' cycle. My Blm history GY Ducaro GA-Michelin Certis-Michelin XM2-Viking City Tech. When i get the Viking it was about RM30-40 cheaper than XM2.
    Blame it on the XM2 for my not so good rating for Viking. A bit regret i didnt go for Falken or Hankook or Toyo during that time.

Now i feel its worth it as i dont drive that much and the tire is getting older every year but the thread on the rear is like 2-3 month old.now reaching abt 3 years old.

Now my Waja tires are hard like flinstone tire already.Waiting for money to drop from the sky and change to brand i never personally used before like GT Radial, Toyo, Hankook, Falken, etc. All 'alternative' brand which show some good review. Not confident on china brand yet.

I cant afford to go for premium brand or range due to financial constraint and i havent drive to work for couple of month already....riding.