Suggestion of getting car

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
Cefiro is too old and Teana exterior is not accepted by my wife. Nissan is out of the list.
Buying a cars is all depends on your needs..
1st of all, this car will be your daily use or weekend use?
if daily use, me suggest Camry since 2.5 is very good for daily use.. if weekend use wise, go for Mark X since more class compare to Camry.
FC both is different since L4 and V6 (tested on my friend Lexus IS 250 vs Camry 2.4 last time)
V6 FC is very good on H'way but town drive like drinking water.. L4 in H'way still can feel a bit pulling since we use Ron 95.
Spare parts no need to says.. L4 just 4 piston V6 is 6 piston (bigger engine with more engine oil)

Dont ever think about SUV and MPV unless got Turbo if not ZZzzz (try to test drive it then you will know..).

Well at the end also depends on you budget and usage, just my pass experience to share..

If me with this kind of budget, me will add abit go for new Civic Turbo although is not as big as Camry but at least new car..

Buying car is like choosing a wife.. choose wisely:smokin: Good luck

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
if daily use, me suggest Camry since 2.5 is very good for daily use.. if weekend use wise, go for Mark X since more class compare to Camry.
FC both is different since L4 and V6 (tested on my friend Lexus IS 250 vs Camry 2.4 last time)
V6 FC is very good on H'way but town drive like drinking water.. L4 in H'way still can feel a bit pulling since we use Ron 95.
Spare parts no need to says.. L4 just 4 piston V6 is 6 piston (bigger engine with more engine oil)

Dont ever think about SUV and MPV unless got Turbo if not ZZzzz (try to test drive it then you will know..).

Well at the end also depends on you budget and usage, just my pass experience to share..

If me with this kind of budget, me will add abit go for new Civic Turbo although is not as big as Camry but at least new car..

The one in bold, not really true on my Mark X even though it is lighter weight than IS250. Remember the 4GR-FSE engine is GDi compared to normal combustion of the Camry, so the fuel efficiency is pretty good provided the engine is still in pretty healthy condition.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban

Yes, my heart telling me Camry 2.5V should be the best 1 for now. I prefer more on sedan where the handling is way better than SUV.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi all sifu, I plan to get a car around RM90k-98k. I do not mind second hand car. I've few candidates in my heart where my highest priority is I need a comfort ride for my family. I hope to heard the valuable feedback from your guys in term of reliability, comfort, running cost (maintenance) and etc (any other concern).

1. Brand new honda city 2017.
2. Waiting the new toyota vios.
3. 2014 toyota altis.
4. 2013 toyota camry 2.5v. (This 1 definitely the most comfort compare to the 3 above and same as the running cost too.
Wah.. I have a completely different take from everyone here.

I'd just opt for the Toyota Vios new 2017 model. Why? Cheap running costs (everything covered by warranty), superb FC, not as highly targeted stolen car vs the Camry and it's a new car. You won't have surprises like rattling noises, or finding out your rear quarter panel was banged up and hidden with putty and a new paint job, etc etc

Can I ask what do you drive currently? Cuz if you are like me - prepare yourself for a massive increase in maintenance costs if you go for the Camry and you currently drive a Wira. MASSIVE. Big displacement has big displacement problems. Prepare for everything to go up in price and if you're used to driving a small car - you might have initial dings and knocks just parking the Camry.

Anyway, my point is buy new is less headache. It's not like the Vios is an uncomfortable car. You want space buy a Nissan Sylphy. Looks better than the Teana. But I'd advise against anything Nissan cuz the stupid mofo parts are all stupid mofo expensive. Avoid Nissan like the plague unless you currently own a BMW.. then the maintenance costs won't be as bad as I describe them. And Hondas are not cheap either. Even the City range is expensive to maintain in terms of parts.

Go new Vios bro.. You won't have to deal with shitty things like insurance loading due to old car and then insurance loading due to high risk (Camry is still top 5 stolen cars in Malaysia) and then you won't have to spend shitloads of money on alarm upgrades, security upgrades, GPS etc etc.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

I'd just opt for the Toyota Vios new 2017 model. Why? Cheap running costs (everything covered by warranty), superb FC, not as highly targeted stolen car vs the Camry and it's a new car. You won't have surprises like rattling noises, or finding out your rear quarter panel was banged up and hidden with putty and a new paint job, etc etc
Wouldn't that be the same vs the City? Warranty, cheap running costs, superb FC. Usually I'd recommend the City for guys, and Vios for ladies. Cause Vios no brainer. That platform has been the same since Britney Spears launched it.

EDIT: Correction, new engine coming right? Hooray!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Can I ask what do you drive currently? Cuz if you are like me - prepare yourself for a massive increase in maintenance costs if you go for the Camry and you currently drive a Wira. MASSIVE. Big displacement has big displacement problems. Prepare for everything to go up in price and if you're used to driving a small car - you might have initial dings and knocks just parking the Camry.

Anyway, my point is buy new is less headache. It's not like the Vios is an uncomfortable car. You want space buy a Nissan Sylphy. Looks better than the Teana. But I'd advise against anything Nissan cuz the stupid mofo parts are all stupid mofo expensive. Avoid Nissan like the plague unless you currently own a BMW.. then the maintenance costs won't be as bad as I describe them. And Hondas are not cheap either. Even the City range is expensive to maintain in terms of parts.

Go new Vios bro.. You won't have to deal with shitty things like insurance loading due to old car and then insurance loading due to high risk (Camry is still top 5 stolen cars in Malaysia) and then you won't have to spend shitloads of money on alarm upgrades, security upgrades, GPS etc etc.
To me choosing a car is not just about cheap maintenance and ownership but more importantly driving enjoyment. Sure I also don't want cars that will make me bankrupt or be a huge burden to my finances, but I also see no point buying a car that I would not have some enjoyment in it (unless I really must buy it for a very specific purpose of hauling people or for another person to drive, just like my Livina). If I were to drive it for long term, I should be able to have some enjoyment driving it and not just drive it for the sake of going from A to B. That's why I personally would not pick the Vios or any in TS list. Having to pay extra for things like road tax, insurance, security stuff etc2 is just part of the price you have to pay coz nothing is for free, as long as you can afford them. But yeah of course people have different priorities or different ways on 'enjoying' a drive.

I agree though with you about the Nissan, I also think I would not buy any newer Nissan models now as I'm not entirely happy with the Livina too in terms of reliability.

Last edited:

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban

Sifu, thank you for your detail reply. To answer your question, I'm driving a 8 years old manual myvi that has been clocked 241k mileage. To be honest, my car is somehow rattling sound in the dashboard.

Why my heart telling me I wanted to get the camry because I got a relative who having a 2013 camry and he do take me to have our breakfast during weekend. He has clocked his camry around 121k mileage and the ride is still super duper quiet eventhough travelling on kampung road with 80km/h.

For the higher maintenance costs, my wife has done the calculation. The monthly commitment is around 15% of my salary and my saving will save up for the insurance, parts, and repair cost.

For the security problem, I cannot say it's 100% safe when I park it in the shopping mall but I will not worry about it when I parked it in my condo and I've 3 parking lots.

Good point and it's always come into my mind. Is the second hand car had accident before and how bad was it. Anyone experience of buying a second hand car and how to check the car was having an accident before and it's done a re-paint job? Please guide me and enlighten me pls!

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Good point and it's always come into my mind. Is the second hand car had accident before and how bad was it. Anyone experience of buying a second hand car and how to check the car was having an accident before and it's done a re-paint job? Please guide me and enlighten me pls!
Just need careful attention to the minute details of the car, the body line, the gaps, the clear coat borderline, the chassis glue/welding, any broken up clips from the lights, knock on all the body panels to detect the thickness, etc2. Need some experience to spot those nad basically you must check deep underneath in the hidden places, not just what's on the surface.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If they change most of the damaged parts, quite difficult to detect too unless major accident.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We have a pretty rare car on our hands this round. Its a vintage Lotus Esprit fully restored to factory standard. It was briefed by the owner himself that it was repainted by a very skillful painter and also the colour chosen was from...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience