Subwoofer box

Hi...

Can anyone advise me... I have a cap ayam subwoofer (speaker about 10 inches) but the box is very big and heavy. there is no problem with the woofer and I'm satisfied with the sound. Is it possible to make a new box that is smaller and lighter for it? Will it affect the sound or anything?

Thank you...

depends..because material density/thickness and box size also plays some role in the bass quality from the woofer...

can't help much..no expertise in ice area...just using normal/usual on the shelf setup :adore:

cvkit17

Mar 20, 2012
Yes you can change to a smaller box that fits. The most important thing here is the rigidity of the box. You can even DIY with good, firm and rigid wood. The trick is to let the box absorb the vibrations caused as much as possible to reduce rattling noise.

If want it to be nicer, you may also use acrylic but its gonna be very thick with good workmanship.

So technical... thanks for the input guys...

cvkit17

Mar 20, 2012
Btw how much did u bought that cap ayam sub? I got a sub Sony xplod wana let go :banghead: sold 1 last 2 month. Now left one haha..

It depends on the sub specs. In general, the bigger the box, the lower the frequency that the sub can go. Some is designed to be able to deliver solid low punch with smaller box, while others need bigger box. Also if you're using ported box, it will generally be bigger than fully enclosed box. Size of the port also determines the target frequency to be boosted by the port. There's a formula to calculate all these but you need to know the detail parameter spec of the sub.
If I remember correctly, one trick that is normally used to make the sub perform as if it's using a bigger box is by putting a thicker/more lining of foam inside the box. The box also have to be as rigid as possible to minimize distortion and maximize efficiency of the sub.

Waiora_ProTuner

Nov 29, 2006
there are software that can calculate the volume needed. need data/spec from the subwoofer.
I doubt you can find the spec for 'cap ayam' subwoofer..so..agak2 je la...
for smaller box, go for enclosed/sealed box.

like 6UE5t said, can use fibre like material to 'slow down' air inside box..so small box act like bigger box.

Btw how much did u bought that cap ayam sub? I got a sub Sony xplod wana let go :banghead: sold 1 last 2 month. Now left one haha..
I don't know o... Came with the car...

It depends on the sub specs. In general, the bigger the box, the lower the frequency that the sub can go. Some is designed to be able to deliver solid low punch with smaller box, while others need bigger box. Also if you're using ported box, it will generally be bigger than fully enclosed box. Size of the port also determines the target frequency to be boosted by the port. There's a formula to calculate all these but you need to know the detail parameter spec of the sub.
If I remember correctly, one trick that is normally used to make the sub perform as if it's using a bigger box is by putting a thicker/more lining of foam inside the box. The box also have to be as rigid as possible to minimize distortion and maximize efficiency of the sub.
there are software that can calculate the volume needed. need data/spec from the subwoofer.
I doubt you can find the spec for 'cap ayam' subwoofer..so..agak2 je la...
for smaller box, go for enclosed/sealed box.

like 6UE5t said, can use fibre like material to 'slow down' air inside box..so small box act like bigger box.
So much more technical than i initially thought man... Well it is not something expensive so i don't know the specs. I don't play hardcore ICE. I just have tweeters, midway, mid bass and a woofer to take care of the different frequencies. The woofer just give some reasonable bass sound. Well, I think i am going to try it anyways by taking the sifus advice here. Use more foam/pad to absorb the vibration. I'll probably make one out of wood as well instead of perspex so that it can absorb more. The reason being I really cannot tolerate this box. It is big and takes up a lot of boot space and very heavy ~ 12 kg. Going to put some chassis bars some time next year which will add weight so i must get rid of some now.

Wah so complicated.

simple rule is.. bigger the box, more boom. smaller the box, less boom.
big box, thin material, flabby boom
big box, thick material, solid boom (not sonic boom)
can also use braces on the edge to strengthen the box

subwoofers all measure differently, and thus, have different box requirements.

you box 12kg? for 10" sub? that's huge.

Waiora_ProTuner

Nov 29, 2006
the bigger the box, the similar it is to not using any box...due to the reason its almost free air, no dampening...ever heard of free air subwoofer?

you want the biggest boom...go for ported box..
you want the smallest box...go for enclosed box...
you have low power amplifier...go for ported box...
the easiest/simplest to make is enclosed/sealed box...no calculation for the port size and location...but need good amplifier to have a good punch..
there should not have any 2 parallel plane/wall...make it a bit tilted, so the bouncing sound wave didn't bounce directly..resonance.

complicated? yup..its acoustic engineering...

appleyard

Dec 20, 2004
If you want to decrease the box size, you will get higher tuning freq, which will not be your preference. If you want to save cabin space, you sacrifice either efficiency or low end tuning.

Hoffman iron law, small size, efficiency or low end ---- pick either 2 and lose 1.

Guys,

as above subject mentioned, appreciate if can tell me where can I get.
Plan to get for my Lion 406.