Stock absorber !!

ckwanloong

Known Member
Feb 22, 2009
Is there any good guy willing to borrow his stock absorber to test? I'm having a problem that the front left side has got a sound " katak katak"when I hit a hump and bumpy road~ I've changed lower arm bush but same~ checked the anti roll link too but still in good condition. So if the damn fxxking sound is from the absorber then I would go upgrade to adjustable absorber~ help help help....I'm from jb~

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Bro, if you're in KL, you can send your car to our Airtreker's mechanic, Ah Wah. He certainly can help but since you're in JB, a bit difficult. By the way, my other car (Nissan Sentra N16) has this problem too. Apparently, it's the bump stopper which is essentially the rubber/hard sponge thing that mounts near to the top of your absorbers to prevent it from bottoming. Check that part of it's spoilt.

Alternatively, check our absorber's top mount 'plastic bearing'. It's said to crack easily but the noise will only appear if you steer your steering. Hope these info is helpful.

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
if really the platic bearing,just turn left n right u will hear the sound.if brake hard or go over bump there is a tak tak sound is your absorber gone edi.it happens to me too,dun bother it much.new shock cost 3k,find h/cut 1500+service alsmost 2k.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Oh yes, just reminded me. When I brake hard, I get the tak tak sound last time too. This happened after I slot in the 4 pots caliper.

Apparently, it's because of my springs. I am using Eibach and in original, the upper and lower coil portion has a layer of rubber on the spring. This is to prevent the spring from any noise if we brake hard enough, where the circles of the coil hits each other. The layer of rubber cracked.

So my mechanic took off the rubber layer and replace with water pipes. Yup, cheap and it works!

Attachments

AvanT

Custom fabricator & CNC machining
Mar 20, 2009
Oh yes, just reminded me. When I brake hard, I get the tak tak sound last time too. This happened after I slot in the 4 pots caliper.

Apparently, it's because of my springs. I am using Eibach and in original, the upper and lower coil portion has a layer of rubber on the spring. This is to prevent the spring from any noise if we brake hard enough, where the circles of the coil hits each other. The layer of rubber cracked.

So my mechanic took off the rubber layer and replace with water pipes. Yup, cheap and it works!

That's a great fix!! I like it!!
Simple, cheap & problem solved :)

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
lol...all ur car mod very cute leh.i juz told ah wah to lookout tein for me.time to upgrade from performance to comfort.
im frequent users of the putrajaya-klia road.cruising the road wif my current setup like riding horse.damn road spoil by heavy vehicle.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
bro, what do you mean by "lol...all ur car mod very cute leh."... this is not cute. This is innovative and it's Ah Wah's mech that solve my problem.:confused:

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
bro,metal rubber metal.sooner or later its gonna eat a hole in the rubber hose.the problem same as the plastic bearing on top the mounting.i was told using sport spring wut so ever brand shorten the life-span of everything on ori shock,bushing,bearing,mounting.either go ori change whole suspension same branding.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Bro, anything that is moving, will have wear and tear. Even stock engine rubber parts last you the most of 5 years. Adjustables are much better for sure in terms of handling performance but it needs servicing and replacement of rubber seals, etc too.

I'm not sure the cheap/cute rubber hose will last me for how long but I know at least for the next 1-2 years, it'll be problem free for me.

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
since day 1 i got the car edi got eibach.actually until now i haven try on ori spring.duno how is feels.izit more softer? higher?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Ahh. Well, u dun need to try out bro. I can tell u the diff. It's 2" higher in front n 1" at the back. Ride is slightly softer than Eibach but don't dream about comfort. It's hard , maybe 80% of Eibach's hardness. Nothing comfortable. Hehehe

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

1 biggest difference between Eibach and stock is that if you're driving around 180kph, Eibach will hop pretty badly on uneven road surface like NSE but with original, it's more stable and less hopping.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

lol...all ur car mod very cute leh.i juz told ah wah to lookout tein for me.time to upgrade from performance to comfort.
im frequent users of the putrajaya-klia road.cruising the road wif my current setup like riding horse.damn road spoil by heavy vehicle.
Tein type wagon adjustable for mitsubishi airtrek - Car Accessories & Parts for sale Kuala Lumpur - Mudah.my

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
bro,thank for the bad comment.dun dare chg back ori spring edi.
abit pricey.can get around rm1400-1600.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H8K3Nk3PghU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="350" width="600"></iframe>

If given the choice, which would you prefer the most: a carefully-engineered piece of automotive marvel like the Bugatti Veyron, or the bad boy supercar like the Lamborghini Gallardo? Of course one of the advantages that will put the Veyron above the Bull is its insane 1001-horsepower W16 engine and the ability to smash through the 400km/h barrier, which no...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience