ST 150 & AT 151 Corona

eason883

Nov 18, 2008
Changing your mind, XMika ? Going for Beams instead of GTE ?:biggrin:

Hi eason883,:wavey:

Welcome, you're from around ? What specific parts are you looking for ? Maybe some experts here could help out.
Hi guys, I from Selangor. Was looking for rear window rubber and rear bonnet so far right now. any luck to have it? Saw in mudah got 1 wagon for sell at 6500 only. Haha...

corona_ice

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2006
sunway city
hey guys, for those who can't find the page, leave ur email in my pm or rage or 2o2r or vince or anyone who is already on the tco page...we can add u...

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

wow! finally a wagon owner! bro we've got plenty of questions for u!

Coro3A

Jan 31, 2011
Phuket
:santaclaus: is coming to town! Have to order my Christmas present soon, so
Hi folks, I apologize for not showing up, that long time. Had a couple of other things in mind :smokin: , and the Corona was running smooth!
But now, the carb becomes again a problem. So I'm thinking about switching the 3A to a 4AFE 2.Gen (looks like this one on wiki)
File:1994 geo prizm lsi.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Would be an improvement, but b/c I know nothing about the engine:
Any advice, what to check before the deal?
Thank you very much

corona_ice

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2006
sunway city
:santaclaus: is coming to town! Have to order my Christmas present soon, so
Hi folks, I apologize for not showing up, that long time. Had a couple of other things in mind :smokin: , and the Corona was running smooth!
But now, the carb becomes again a problem. So I'm thinking about switching the 3A to a 4AFE 2.Gen (looks like this one on wiki)
File:1994 geo prizm lsi.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Would be an improvement, but b/c I know nothing about the engine:
Any advice, what to check before the deal?
Thank you very much
bro honestly, ur denying the inevitable, u will go full circle b4 going finally to a 4age silvertop or blacktop...don't waste anymore cash...just think back how much u've spent on the current engine and the 4afe that ur planning on converting, than compare with the 4age's....:smokin:

Coro3A

Jan 31, 2011
Phuket
bro honestly, ur denying the inevitable, u will go full circle b4 going finally to a 4age silvertop or blacktop...don't waste anymore cash...just think back how much u've spent on the current engine and the 4afe that ur planning on converting, than compare with the 4age's....:smokin:
:banghead:
Thanks, ice, you are right, changes before a real change makes not much sense!
But at time, I'm running circles , b/c I find more and more out, that the vacuum system of my 3A is almost all of the problem.
The 4 AGE is not so easy to get, I 'ran into' the 4 AFE accidently. It's a good offer (I think). For 27k Bt in the car. But has anyway a :bawling: , 'cause it is auto. I don't like the older 3 or 4 gear automatic's. I didn't know that, when I posted the question! If it wouldn't, I would have done the deal, allready!
At the moment, I'm checking carbs, and, btw., looking for manual gear boxes. Not easy, to find anything down here, on Phuket. It's Pic-up/Truck territory! I can get as many diesel engines, any (nippon) brand, I want, but almost everything else, you have to ask in BKK for it.
Ok, afaik. Maybe there is, but I'm not be able, to find!
But back to the carb: Watched 3 carbs 'for my car', all different! Different in the amount of vacuum-connectors!
Looks (to me), that the vacuum system of my car got 'cleaned' up, every 'unnecessary' part axed out: " 'kaput' and expensive? don't need! reducing damper opener, aja, ...no, easy doing, idle a bit up!" And so on.
You know, what repair shops here always say, after you asking for help, 'cause your carb is....?
"Oh, yes, change to 4 AFE, can do" It's their first offer, so I don't have to wonder, that it is under my Corona's hood, like it is :burnout:
Lucky, I got the Toyota Manual for the A engines, this weekend. Ok, could buy it, need a bit time, to get it!
If I have to guess, what's happened next, I say, I'll try to understand the vacuum system of this bloody carb/engine, first. Not, that I really want, but b/c there is no 'perfect' other option. I'm not happy, with putting a automatic in this car, and I'm not sure, that I can find a manual gearbox, soon, that fits the 4 AFE.
And the 4 AGE Story would need to check with/in Bangkok. And would only make real sense, if I would do all the other needed changes, in the same time, too: suspension, brake's, shock's.
But yes, you're right!:smokin:
Thanks, again!

Last edited:

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
Coro3A,

:idea: I suggest you make a trip down to M'sia to find yr parts. You only have to travel to the Kedah which I think should be good enough to source for the parts you need. :listen: Heck, you may even get a mechanic there to get it done up for you before you return to Thailand.:driver:

Coro3A

Jan 31, 2011
Phuket
Coro3A,

:idea: I suggest you make a trip down to M'sia to find yr parts. You only have to travel to the Kedah which I think should be good enough to source for the parts you need. :listen: Heck, you may even get a mechanic there to get it done up for you before you return to Thailand.:driver:
Thanks for the suggestion, 2old2rusty.
Unluckily, it's not a option, these days.
I'll keep it in mind.
Any good addresses, to check for parts, in that area? Also, if bigger parts, I would need a garage, to get it done, before returning to Thailand, anyway. I'm in no need, to discuss spare parts from Malaysia with the Thai-custom.
But that is 'future'. At present, I need a solution for the (biggest) carb/vacuum-problems, first.
Thanks
Coro

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Got send, from the guy with the AFE auto and b/c of the tachometer, to a small car garage/shop-area, somewhere in Phuket town. Haven't been there, before!

Saw there a very pretty '77 Celica Liftback 2000 GT, and started talking with the owner.
He pointed me the shop, where I got this:

(ok,I had to take the instrument panel and swapped the tachometer-unit in my old panel, but: works)
And he named me a guy, with experience in carb-engines. I will try this option, too.
Looks like I found the 'Phuket-drift-scene', accidentally . Looks also like I can get more information about parts and cut-shops, in Thailand.
:santaclaus: :driver: :santaclaus:
Will keep you informed!

Coro3A

Jan 31, 2011
Phuket
:hmmmm:
I do have to ask something:
The 4 A engine (carb) got upgraded with an injection, in the 80's, to 4 A ELU
Are 4 A ELU's available, in Malaysia?
How difficult may it be, to change one Carb engine to the injection version?
Is something to be expected (sensors?), that will not be able, to change?
'Cause I saw on Toyotadiy, that the 4 A ELU manifold to head gasket (17172-16010) is almost the same, like that on the 3A (17172‑15010).
And maybe b/c of everyone want the 4 A GE, the injection parts for a 4 A ELU are inexpensive.

Oh, in Thailand, the 4A engines price is rising, these days. To many Taxi's in Bangkok want/need one, after diving in the flooded areas.

Last edited:

Coro3A

Jan 31, 2011
Phuket
Update: 'found' a way, for cleaning up the vacuum problems!

Watching a couple of video's on youtube, it looks like, I found a solution for the vacuum/carb story!
Vacuum is not necessary, al least not all of it. :idea:
Or how many vacuum connections need a Weber-Carb? :biggrin:
So I closed every vacuum pipe/connector. Also sealed the 'manifold to EGR-Valve'-connection area again.
Got a solid idle, this way.
Vacuum-connected the ignition and the swirl control, to.
At the moment it's ok.
Need a electronic controlled vacuum-switch for aircon using, higher idle needed.
So A-FE or A-ELU injection is off the table. :dancing:

Merry X-Mas
Coro

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
You can do the following to change from carb to injection for the 4A engine; use a 4AGE head & transplant over to yr present 4A block but you'll need the complete wiring from the 4AGE & ECU as well. This can be done & has been done successfully before by others....it will perform much better than the yr original engine but not as well as the original 4AGE.

The reason for doing the above is that over here in M'sia, if the engine block is not changed, we do not have to go for inspection & approval from the relevant authority as far as the law is concerned. Other than that, it doesn't make much sense coz you might as well change the whole unit over if it's not about the hassle you're trying to skip.

I can't remember which vacuum hose is required in the Weber carb but I do remember there's 1 that is used to raise the idling rpm when the air-cond compressor kick in.

The switch you mentioned is called the FICD - Fast Idling Control Device or something.

Merry Xmas to you too, Coro3A :)

Coro3A

Jan 31, 2011
Phuket
Thanks, 2 Old 2 Rusty, but this is a solution, that I can't try.
The engine in my car is the 3A with 14xx cc.
The last question (4A ELU) was b/c both, the 3A and the 4A ELU are Single Cam heads.
And I'm quiet sure, the gaskets for the heads are identical. I found a 4A C (at Toyotadiy) , from a Corolla, using the same gasket (Number), as the 3A needs it.
But the idea was killed by three things:
Not many ELU's available
No one will sell the Injection plus ECU alone, only the total engine.
The price would be the same, like for a 4AFE
:nurse:
And the 4 AFE cost roundabout have the money, that they'll ask for a 4AGE
So, like corona_ice commented, there is not really a need, to do things this way.
:listen:
It was only a thought, b/c I couldn't find the solution for the problem. If the 'no vacuum' thing works, I'm good, for now.
And it is maybe a bit easier, to get the parts for upgrading suspension, brakes and body, before looking for a 4AGE, since I found these car tuning area here in Phuket.
Anyway, now it's not the time for big changes, anyway.
Merry X-Mas, and a happy new year!
Coro

Last edited:

Coro3A

Jan 31, 2011
Phuket
AT 151 Headlights --- any other options?

Actually, the adjustment mechanic of my headlamps is out of order.
Beside thinking about taking them apart and try to fix this, I'm looking for other headlights, that would fit (more or less accurate. The more, the better).
Does anyone ever tried to change the headlights? Maybe to a more modern (brighter) version?
Thanks for your attention!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

tinking of an doin n engine swap in jaybee pondering between visworks n speedworks any bros here any reccomendations cos price wise i feel jaybee more competitive but i dunno wat to do when inspection time comes cos they cannot help mi "pass" unlike some sg workshops where alot of ppl says can be done under table lol! some civics recc mi HV but heard pricing wise not much diff from visworks n they dun really do my type of car so pls advise...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience