SSO Drift D1GP report!

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Netmatrix’s long shot SSO Drift Report!

Now where do we start…? Space…… the final frontier….. these are the voyages of the Star Trek Enterprise…. Ok we got off the wrong footing here hehehe. The day? Saturday. The day that I have been waiting for the last few weeks. And what day was it? The R3 street shootout/ drift event. Well I’m not much of a fan of the SSO sessions. But the Drift is a big giant magnet for me. A final check at the drift.com.my website for the Drift schedule again in the morning at the office. I was working that day, but half day that is. Yahoooo!

I went home pick up my cousin who wanted to see the drift event which is his first. We packed up on water, some snacks a camera and an umbrella. We got there about 2.30pm. During that time, we went to the competitor’s car park area. I could see some familiar cars from some DCM events and some new ones. Also went to drift.com.my’s booth and said hi to Terrance. The booths in my opinion lacked something. R3’s booth showed some merchandise like tuning parts and wear. They also gave out free magazines. There were Idemitsu booth which has an RX7. And another Bridgestone or Yokohama? booth with monstrous BlackHowlings (member from ZTH) Supra. I think the booths space is big. But there are hardly anything worth seeing.

Oh not forgetting I saw Yolk, toms, Qiw, Acoustic, Chinozie and Banzai at the prize presentation for SSO. By the time I met you guys, you were going home liao. Well my day just started!

Ok back to the track, they were announcing that Wazi and the gang would be performing up next. Yep, the famous biker who now has a team for stunt riders. The guys were doing crazy demo stuff on Yamaha TZMs!! There were some un-perfect runs, but what they did was pretty good and enjoyable. But this time I was at the bridge looking between some trees because the area near the track was packed! So packed you can only see heads bopping around and nary an action on the track. Then we decided to change locations to the other side of the track near the starting point. Which was un-shaded and hot like hell!

Once there we got a clearer and nearer view of things. The announcers which is not only limited to Sutan was Mazlan from Senario! Or more commonly known as Lan pet pet. I could here him doing his crazy routines like engine sounds and some farting sounds? Hahaha. And he really made many funny remarks. Quite a few of his famous remarks like “Mangkuk Hayun!” hahaha. Some jokes may go overboard but some may not like it. Oh well you loose some you win some.

Then came Keiichi and Kazama on the track. They walked up to the middle of the track and waved at everyone and went back to the cars ready for them. Which was a Proton R3 FR Waja and a Nissan Silvia. Off they went for a test lap. By the time they were done, they were taking in passengers that won free drift rides that R3 had given with their T-short purchase. I would like to get a chance, but I wouldn’t sacrifice a nice location for it. By that time, many was jostling for a better view behind me. The hot sun didn’t help either.

But the heat, and the people who were pushing didn’t matter anymore when we saw Keiichi drift! From our angle, all I can say is, he drifted very very early. Just right after a nasty road bump/ hump. The R3 is a deadly sideways machine. I wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t see it. It seems the R3 is a very well sorted out drift machine. Keiichi even did a small drift after the passenger drop off. Kazama didn’t do that. Probably saving himself for more better things? Oh yes he did. When they both finished and took a break. Kazama ran out of the tent, wave around and….. did the rodeo thing. Oh yeah!! The famous drift on the door. He did a few donuts and went to the middle of the track and did and few donuts and a few more locations. What really impress me is not the donuts and the drifts. Yes he did drift when he sat on the door! But the fact that he can control the steering with very tight area to move around! You just have to see it to know what I mean!

Next came the competitors. By this time, I think it was around 5pm. What I notice is many wasn’t going fast at all. I think many just wanna have a clean run. At 6.30 I think the had the twin/ tandem drifting. Everyone was great. But Zee and Terence’s run was awesome. You could see the both cars seem to be talking to each other. Misses here and there. (According to Zee, not drifting well?) Some cars spun and spun. Here Zee and Terrence deserve being number one. The commentators did a very good job here. Too good a job by Lan Pet pet when he mentioned the word “Cibai” during his talk with Keichi!!! Hahahaha. My God TV3 was covering the event and Option was recording it too. Hahaha. Man, if someone recorded that moment, please to post it up here! Its not that common to find some MC blurted things like this in a live event! Lan also talked to some spectators in Hokkien! Hahaha. Its just plain wacky. Some may find him a nuisance I guess. But I think its great that this event can get someone who can entertain to the crowd rather that just blurt out plain information.

Then there was a break for dinner I guess. And the crowd were not concentrated to the track anymore. Here I decided to change location. And went nearer to the action. Near to the judging area. Got a good location behind the fenced barrier. When the session was about to start, all of a sudden there were these big crowd that went through an open fence barrier and stand in front of us! WTF!!!! They didn’t even have event pass!! And this happened in front of marshall. By this time a group beside me was getting angry and hurling angry remarks at the people in front. By right we were the ones obeying rules. And the mashall had a hard time moving the crowd behind the fence barrier. Things were getting bad. Made me wonder why the marshall didn’t just push the crowd back to the fence, but just pulled a silly ribbon in front of them. To me, its just bad enforcement and a lousy patch up job. And what I could say is, the black period the whole time I was there.

We didn’t bother much what was happening there and decided to change locations. Heading back to the starting point. But we were lucky this time. We managed to secure a nice viewing area behind the R3 A boards just under one of the spot lights. The angle we could see the starting, right up to the end. My cousin was pointing out a R33 which has nice purple light on the wheels. Ok Joehan, they were very nice over a black background. I’m probably sold for a set of those. Hehehe.

By the time there were about 8 cars. Now the speed is picking up! So fast that many started to drift before or over the road bump/ hump. Everyone drifted early. Sparks was flying, exhaust was booming, flames was shooting, tires were screeching! I can only say I was like watching one of the Option videos!!! Man it was just too cool. If they were announcing their names as Japanese, I could have swear I was in Japan watching a D1 competition. The flapping flags at the booths just fortify my mind that I’m actually there. T,Djan, Tan Tat Wei, Zee, Terrence and the other guys just rock when night comes. They just got faster! As if they were being possessed by something. Everyone was literally sticking with each other. The drift was fast, and close. The drift angle just got more and they were very close to the marker flags.

T.Djan and Tat Wei deserve to be the final 2. They were probably the fastest cars that night. Both cars were so close to each other even before they drift! Everything was going right when an incident happened. I could not see properly, but I could see Djan’s car went a little airborne in front of the judging area! Then we could see Tat Wei’s cars limping back to the starting point and I could see one of the wheels was bent like a cake being cut. Then on we just waited for the results.

Everyone was near the podium to see who won. T.Djan won that night. After I recalled T.Djan was slightly faster that night. Oh yeah, those who wasn’t at the judging area, missed out on something. T.Djan gave a free show for everyone. Someone shouted, “Djan! Get a room la!!!” hahahahahaha.

After then I went to the tent where Keiichi and Kazama was resting before going off. I waited there hoping he could autograph my Drift Bible CD. And I was damn lucky to be the last guy that he gave his signature to. He turned down some people beforehand. Man I’m gonna frame this baby for good! I didn’t know Option mag president gonna be there. Damn! Missed out coz, I didn’t bring extra stuff for him to sign. Anyway some guys took some styrofoam dish for them to sign!!

Back home, both me and my cousin were sun burned and tired. A quick bath and to bed. And Monday I’m here again posting and recalling how great this event was! So good the sunburn still sizzles. I only took some pictures at the competitors car park. But nothing on the drifts. I believe they will show up here later.

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
Hahah, glad you enjoyed the show. I was at the Startline all the way through. You probly saw me jump for joy when TTW beat Zee. Tat Wei was drifter of the nite for me.

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Oh that was you? Hey i thought you were supposed to be Zee's cheerleader? hahaha. But if there was an event like that again anywhere, hope R3 could get stadium style bench seats. I was moving around the track just to get a good view. Not that i'm complaining. But my short cousin was missing out the action!:confused_smile: Crap! I'm still heaing tire screeching sounds in my head!:shcokedcamo:

Oh yeah maybe later i might post a picture of my cousin posing next to your car hehehe. I noticed new racing stripes there.

karl31

Known Member
Sep 19, 2005
Malaysia
yeahh.. i was there too until final between Djan & TTW, TTW drifting skill is unquestionable . enjoy and proud to own a COROLLA

Hailcaesar

Known Member
May 16, 2005
Pg
Where can i get the movie D1GP at malaysia? Where to download it? n can i get all the D1GP video clips? Y all tv channel didnt show or advertise this Show at TV?

faeizal

500 RPM
Apr 21, 2004
Visit site
i just wish they have stands around the tarmac ler... a lot of people laa that day... phewww...

QiW

6,000 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
KL
Visit site
waaaa ... FOC indon massage i public ahhh ??? dammm kow stim only laa u mike .. huahahahahahaaa ...
as for me ... i oso think TTW is the best laaaa .. hehehehe

Mazeki

500 RPM
Jan 7, 2006
That day i saw got 1 groups.. shouting like hell... I think is Cefiro supporter.. Wah.. Monkey also got.. Jumping around and dance.. Damn Cool.. Haha.. Spirit too.. In the hold drift track.. just got there sounds out only.. Haha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I succesfully installed a new headunit . However now the central locking and alarm aint working. Ive checked all the fuse and all in working condition. Anyone can shed some lights into this ?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience