SR20 Varietta??

jay_ek9

Oct 1, 2006
Elo there ....

Need your opinion. My friend bought a silvia varietta a few months back. He liked the open top driving experience but having a non-turbo engine & auto tranny, its just not right.:biggrin:

He's planning to convert fully to a SR20 (engine, rear diff, 6MT tranny, brakes... the full SR20 conversion that is...)

Basically how much would this sort of full conversion cost?

Would there be any difficulties during the conversion, like for example converting the auto box to a 6MT tranny?

Thanks..

spux

Jan 29, 2008
Hi Jay,

The whole reason Autech chose the Spec S to convert into varietta is the space in the boot. If you compare the spec S and spec R, the spec R has a crossed reinforced bar (viewable in the boot) which takes up some space in the boot, and Spec S and Spec R has different spot weldings as well.

This being that the R is expected to go through a significant amount of stress on the chassis due to the added turbo which the S would not need to withstand.

A conversion like this would put stress on the chassis, even more so on the varietta due to the fact that without a roof, chassis are prone to flexing. This will eventually lead to a lot of problems in the future. Varietta is a showpiece car, and its one of the rarest vehicle in the country, my advice is keep it that way, maybe you can copy the mod done to the autech spec s which pumps out 200 horses, but i wouldnt want to put the varietta through the kind of torque torture a turbo would inflict.

As for the cost, i do not know. sorry bout that, cant help.

Spux

Last edited:

topui11

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Visit site
jay_ek9

About the chassis thingy, that can be reinforced to take on the turbo engine. Nothing is impossible.

Cost should be around RM10k at least as the cost for S15 turbo halfcuts usually about RM7k++. Stick with the 5spd tranny coz the 6MT ain't that much different.. plus would be quite expensive to replace too.

1 to 1 conversion can be done at my place. Labor charges should be around RM2k. Need to see the actual car to evaluate and get you full detailed quotation. gimme a call sometime 017 6677099

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can 4G63 put into the saga?
how much it cos?
wat to do? 1st state? 2nd state?
any recommendation?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience