Sound dampening or Spray paint first

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
thinking of chasis only. Comfort spec as in the link
https://autofoam.net/autofoam/
If you're talking about a wira body, get the stiffer competition/track spec instead. Dont think you need for door sills.

I think for doors they don't do it.....
Just kidding with him cause he mentioned tin milo which is actually the body panels.

ok but it will make the car panel workshop curse because adjusting a foamed chassis is not simple.
Autofoam only stiffens it very slightly. IF the chassis can be straightened, the foam wont get in the way.

Please refer to the picture. That's from my car. The foam may be scraped out.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Autofoam only stiffens it very slightly. IF the chassis can be straightened, the foam wont get in the way.
Yalah.. if it can be it has to be scraped out etc etc. It's a lotta work.

Talking abt repairing chassis, there is this guy on YT repairing totalled cars and recently he did a Lambo.

In one vid, i did saw him cutting away a sill plate and remove some foam which comes stock from factory. I believe its on a BMW. Foam is there for comfort as i dont see any way it help strengten the chassis.
I've done the BMW factory tour and they showed us how they foamed the chassis. It's just slabs of thin foamish square pads which they stick to certain areas of the car and then send the whole car in for baking where the foam expands and fills up all the empty spaces. So you're probably right about the strengthening. But having it done on two of my cars with the latest one being the e36 1jz (tbh I didn't notice any difference) and the other on my Wira, I think it had a pretty good effect on the wira sound wise and stiffer chassis wise. Or maybe more compliant chassis. I dunno what to call it but there was a noticeable difference.

Or perhaps the price was so high I placebo-ed myself into thinking there was a difference. God dammit if I spent that many thousands on a damn foaming thing, it better have a difference. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Or perhaps the price was so high I placebo-ed myself into thinking there was a difference. God dammit if I spent that many thousands on a damn foaming thing, it better have a difference. :biggrin:
Know Desmond since my Autoworld days. He has been pestering me to do Autofoam on VR, but I never did. Old car already, no point. On coil overs, Low profile tyres, noisy exhaust, not tracking it, so for me not needed.......lol

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Know Desmond since my Autoworld days. He has been pestering me to do Autofoam on VR, but I never did. Old car already, no point. On coil overs, Low profile tyres, noisy exhaust, not tracking it, so for me not needed.......lol
My 2 sen.If chassis noise dont bother you, no need Autofoam lah

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Those noise cannot challenge my exhaust.......lol
I guess only way to silence your car is by autofoaming your muffler..hahaha

Anyway, can anyone describe chassis noise to me?

I can only think of noises from body panel/structure such as the A,B,C pillar, floor pan, etc.

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
say your name has more discount from Desmond? hahahaha.... :beer:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Talking abt repairing chassis, there is this guy on YT repairing totalled cars and recently he did a Lambo.

In one vid, i did saw him cutting away a sill plate and remove some foam which comes stock from factory. I believe its on a BMW. Foam is there for comfort as i dont see any way it help strengten the chassis.

its us.. even small front and or rear frame damage the insurance company declared totalled car...

malaysia...to get it declared totalled car, need the chassis to split apart in crash...front and rear frame damage still can repair....

thats the differences..so maybe yes..repair shop might curse and repair time longer...

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
its us.. even small front and or rear frame damage the insurance company declared totalled car...

malaysia...to get it declared totalled car, need the chassis to split apart in crash...front and rear frame damage still can repair....

thats the differences..so maybe yes..repair shop might curse and repair time longer...
One of the reasons for so, is that labour is relatively cheaper and repair bill wont be anywhere as severe as in US

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After the successful Leg 1 of the Shell Helix Invasion Tour 2011 to Johor Bahru last week on the 3rd and 4th Dec, the supercars will be heading to Penang this weekend! Mark your calendar free on the 10th and 11th Dec as the Shell Helix Invasion Tour Leg 2 is going to bring you a number of exciting events.

On the eve of the drive, drivers will have their briefing at Flo, Equatorial, Kuala Lumpur. The...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience