sony vs pioneer car audio

yams727

Jul 26, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
hi guys,

i'm in the market for a new car audio with usb of course. cds are cluttering up my car. need to clear all compartments and pockets.

i came across a good deal for a sony and a pioneer same price - similar features (sort of). the uncle at the shop recommends the pioneer. the limited reviews i've come across on the net also point to pioneer, hands down.

would anyone here say otherwise?

thanks in advance.

-yams-

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 13, 2004
Char Kuoy Teow
what setup are they using in the review?
Are both car using same setup but different HU?
Are the review done on the same type of car?
whats your budget for ice?
what is the price n model?
Are they from the same class?
what component sets are u using?
What amp are you using?
Any subwoofer?
what amp is powering the subwoofer?
what wiring are you using?
Are you playing active or passive?

Last edited:

yams727

Jul 26, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
hi tohsan,

ok, i wasn't expecting such a detailed answer. but here's my attempt.

note: i'm an audiophile with mediocre knowledge in audio setup. as long as the sound comes out the way i like, i'm satisfied.

answers to your questions in red:

1. what setup are they using in the review? - don't remember - they just talked about head units

2. Are both car using same setup but different HU? - i'm assuming they were the same with different HUs.

3. Are the review done on the same type of car? - again, yes i think. oh i forgot to mention - this one in particular that was most informative compared an extra 1 - sony, pioneer and an alpine. and the alpine came up tops, pioneer almost as good, but sony worse.

4. whats your budget for ice? - well, i'm just looking to upgrade my HU, and replace my tweeters as the right one is busted. - so no more than rm650.

5. what is the price n model? - honestly i didn't take down the model numbers - but both were going for less than rm500.

6. Are they from the same class? - yes, in terms of features.

7. what component sets are u using? - i had my ice installed in my car over 9 years ago - so i'm gonna try super hard to remember. i got lanzar tweeters on dash (left side busted). lanzar 2-ways up front passenger doors. lanzar 3-ways at the back above passenger seats. all these are connected to the amps, connected to a lanzar equalizer connected to my headunit.

8. What amp are you using and what amp is powering the subwoofer?? - an autocraft amp to run my subs and uhhh... damn i think its boston acoustics or something running the rest of the speakers.

9. Any subwoofer? - a pair of autocraft 10inch subs

10. what wiring are you using? - oh damn. speakers to amps - standard wiring, not great. amps to equalizer - first ones sucked, so i replaced them myself about 5 years back. again - standard i suppose, cost me no more than rm100 for a length of 5m i think.

11. Are you playing active or passive? - sorry you lost me here.

so, what you think - cos i'm ready to buy the pioneer ones for my headunit. still trying to find a good pair of tweeters though. my last lanzar ones went bust over a year ago.

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
if your budget is 650, usually id vote for pioneer , but recently alpine also entered this budget category, so i suggest u check their new models out first

Last edited:

yams727

Jul 26, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
hey frankaboo,

well that's definitely a good offer. where is your shop?

the sale ain't done till the fat lady sings... so yeah.

let me know where and i'll pop by.

-yams-

Nov 12, 2006
bro i`m the one of pioneer fanz, i`m suggesting u grab pioneer bro since i`ve changed lot of single din before pioneer never let me regret...
even last month i`ve grab DEH-P6050UB, the graphic even not a full colour display but its still attractive..

yams727

Jul 26, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thanks buddy.

yeah graphic interface simple also can. but sound and to a lesser extent usability has to be great :)

-yams-

angeldeservetosleep

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
heaven
www.myteamcity.com
i had bad experience with sony. sell back in 2 weeks.....
good experience with pioneer. used it till it malfunction..
kenwood so so only. give it away after 5 month use
eclipse damn satisfied. still using it until my brother want it back :((

vote for pioneer as my next player will be budget range pioneer....

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

i had bad experience with sony. sell back in 2 weeks.....
good experience with pioneer. used it till it malfunction..
kenwood so so only. give it away after 5 month use
eclipse damn satisfied. still using it until my brother want it back :((

vote for pioneer as my next player will be budget range pioneer....

madforce

Apr 26, 2004
pioneer is better when it come on 5 series these day.
it has better control on eq and sub and come with a 3 preout rca (front+rear+sub)
i agreed with other on sony HU and lack of sound producing.

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Search the forum awhile but no thread bout Q8. Guys, may I know where to get Q8 lubricant? Prefer Ampang/KL area. How much for a semi-syn 4 litre? Thanx in advance.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience