Shud i get a 97 hyundai coupe?

carsial

Known Member
Jan 23, 2006
hi guys!
would like to kno more bout this car..dad wud probably consider this car for me..
1) wat engine is this car using? Mitsu's? model?
2) parts will b hard to find?
3) piggybacks can b used? ie : Safc,Emanage etc

thanks hopefully u guys cud answer my questions..
i'm havin doubts weather shud i get this car or not..
thanks again..cherioz!

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
1. Hyundai Beta Engine
2. Nope.
3. We have member install SAFCII. E-Manage not i believe, you can't control the Fuel, haltech and unichip no problem.

do it according to your heart. Since you are from Penang, you may contact Ace during weekend, I believe he can spend a time with you to explain to you in detail, and show you some goodies he have installed.

Ace, can you help on this? :biggrin:

carsial

Known Member
Jan 23, 2006
thanks guys..
hmm..cant remember who told me its using mitsu's engine..hehe..
4) anyway..in malaysia..there's just 1.8 litre 97' coupe rite?
5) err..wats the stock hp and torque?
6) for engine conversion- wat engine can be fitted?
7) comparision to a putra..wht u guys think? putra also 1.8l coupe.. thanks again!!
srry for all these questions..but i'm havin hard time thinkin..ugh! cheers

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
4. Nope, for RD1 97 , 2.0 is available.
5. i can't recall :biggrin:, i think is 130hp on flywheel.
6. there are ppl in Malaysia put in 4G93T, 4G63T as far as i know, but you have maintenance issue.
PS: the engine mounting are all different compare with Hyundai Beta engine, and now a day to get JPJ approval is not simple.

7. comparison with putra? i never drive putra, it's unfair for me to do comparison, but Putra front and interior, does it make you feel like you are driving WIRA? :biggrin:
but I know for Putra there are lot's of mod available, Prince Alliance are out there, you can go and query, at the same time, check with those owner did a engine transplant.

I had friend have Putra with evo engine transplant, JPJ approved, drive less than a year and sell the car, too many maintenance issue for a engine conversion car, especially if those conversion did by bengkal ah beng under the tree.

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Wow, we have more and more people searching for Coupe!

carsial, I just want to share my opinion on question 7 only as the rest had been answered in detail by our PIC, BS.
Nothing beats a Hyundai Coupe when it comes to the design of the car.
You will get more attention in a Hyundai Coupe than in a Putra for sure.
Girls love sleek and curvy sport cars and Hyundai Coupe is just the car to get those girls into it.
It's rare and it turns others ppl's head. You can't do that with a Putra.
From a survey conducted in Italy, the homeground of Fiat, the Hyundai Coupe top the sales in the Coupe category knocking out Fiat Coupe in its own country. Proton Putra's sales was really bad and many had comment on the quality of the Proton Putra.

:_:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
not only that, RD1 Hyundai Coupe Tiburon carry great history in Hyundai Co. history book. RD1 Coupe is Hyundai LIFE SAVER back in 1997.

As you all know at 1997/98, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia all struggle for economic crisis, Hyundai, Kia and all Korean car manufacturer struggle badly.

at 1997, Hyundai Coupe is the last car design Hyundai put all hope on it. Surprise to all, Hyundai found that Coupe not only the best selling model for the company, but it stage as much as 50% on top of all Hyundai exported to USA. It give Hyundai new income to stay in car manufacturer industry and now it move to 6th biggest global car manufacturer, knock Renault, Nissan, Honda down. Even Toyota north american now consider Hyundai their close rival.

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Ever since then, Coupe had been the proud and joy of Hyundai!
But Hyundai don't really promote the Coupe after the eco crisis.
I still remember they promote heavily on the RD1 when it first launched!
But after that, the RD2 and GK didn't get the same level of promotion like the RD1 had before this.

drew1.0beta

Known Member
May 27, 2006
hahaha..u guys are 'poisoning' me..wakakaka!!
cant believe tht RD1 actually beated the Fiat Coupe(this is alwiz my dream car)!!
yeah..daniel i like the 'girl' part u wrote..hehehehe!!
but the thing is..i'm into performance mods..
i'm afriad there's not much performance stuff i cud play wif..
thanks guys..!
srry for hijackin ya thread carsial..just realize..keke!

Last edited:

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
Of course! no prob on that BS.

drew1.0beta,
Its not only performance you should be looking it at. The car chassis and design is another imported part. You can have a mighty power engine in there but if go with a weaker chassis its going to be twist and bend on the car itself. Everybody knows proton's car is weak for that. Unless you are willing to spend on spot welding. If you are happen to be a fan of Best Motoring or Hot Version, you can see that those Japanese ace will always stress on that car performance is not all about engine, its the whole package that you were able to balance out.

So, its up to you on what car you would like. Coupe's chassis has a huge R&D team behind. I believe there is one guy in Penang that slot in EVO 4 mitshu engine with mods and run without any problem. In the end, chose your car wisely I have seen a lot of my friends going crazy all over Japanese performance parts and none of them actually knows how to use/tune it and out of balance. If you are always on a tight budget then it is not a very good thing to do. All I can say is you cannot always rely on the mechanic, period!

We will be happy if you chose coupe of course and would always welcome you on board.

well, I hope these will also give some advise to those young people who are starting to venture into owning a car.

Rgds,
Ace

carsial

Known Member
Jan 23, 2006
its okie drew1.0beta..thts the purpose of a forum..
i'm also sorta get 'poisoned' by them d..lol!
oh ya Ace..mind telling me the few things we can do for performance mods?
Safc? high cams available?
cuz i've compared the specs for a stock putra(4g93p) and the stock rd1(Beta)..
putra has 8-9 more hps and abit more torquier than the rd1..
(woudn't wanna lose to a putra on the streets...expect the 'girl' part daniel mention of course..hehe)

carsial

Known Member
Jan 23, 2006
just saw the Hyundai Coupe Pic thread............
the more i look at the RD1, the more i like it!! argh!! hehe

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
i can't denied that. :biggrin:
you will fall in love with this baby. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
carsiel,
you cannot just compare on putra with just HP. I drag with a putra before and on 3rd gear I'm actually pulling away. Coupe 1.8M have closer gear ratio and longer on fifth gear. The 1.8l beta engine already equiped with slightly higher cam where you can feel the surge when you hit 5000rpm. I even race with GTI before and its even worst as GTI is heavier than putra.

Things you could do like SARD FPR (fuel pressure regulator), better quality plug cable, lighten pulley, throttle body mods (open faster and wider), racing engine oil (motul), ecu tuned, engine carbon clean, good performance exhaust, DIY your air intake.

SAFC is the last thing you would do. Its the hardest to set without dyno and this can be very troublesome and expensive. After you did all the abover next time if a putra trying to outrun you, give the beta engine a blast. Even if putra pulls away initially, don't worry you will definately catch up during 3rd gear and when hitting 4th and 5th, that car won't have a chance.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi , anybody know the exact color of te37/ssr type c white ? want to touch up the scratch myself ....but having problem to select the right paint. Any sifu here?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience