Short interview with Lotus F1 boss - Datuk Tony Fernandes

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

I had the opportunity to speak to Lotus F1 boss Datuk Tony Fernandes this afternoon when he called on my mobile. As glamorous as that may sound, it was all a pre-planned interview thanks to friends within Lotus F1. I only had about 10 minutes to put across whatever I had in mind, but with the line being bad and my recorder bailing out on me at the very last minute, I had to rely on traditional note taking, I know I missed a few things but here are some highlights. This is what I got down with the man that has taken Lotus F1 to new heights:

Why do you think Lotus Cars is suddenly interested in acquiring a stake in Renault F1? They previously mentioned they were going to stick to GP2 for a while.

I have no idea, it's a strange decision in building their business. They have new cars planned out so I think they should be concentrating on that and their business.

Do you think it has something to do with you acquiring the rights to Team Lotus?

Well Team Lotus was not brought back for 16 years and when we do it, suddenly they think they can do a better job at it. I really don't know what's going on there.

If the acquisition of Renault F1 goes through, will that affect Lotus F1 in any way considering how Renault now supplies engines to Lotus F1?

I think the public is confused about ownership of Renault F1. Firstly there's the Renault Group and then there's Renault F1 which is owned by a guy named Gerard Lopez. The Renault Group only owns 25% of the team and word around the paddock is that they are looking to sell off their stake in the team. Lotus cars could be looking to buy this stake.

We deal only with the Renault Group and they are going to be supplying our engines next season and our gearboxes are coming from Red Bull. We have no dealings with Renault F1 whatsoever so no, we will not be affected by the acquisition.

What's going on with Team Lotus at the courts?

The court case is still going on and we know that can take some time. But we own Team Lotus, so we are confident about it.

Does this mean we will have two Lotus branded teams next season? Won't that affect sponsorship?

I don't think it will affect sponsorship but I think two Lotus teams will be wrong and it will confuse everybody.

There are reports saying that Lotus F1 may be known by another name next season, how true is this?

For now it's all open and we have to do what's best for everybody, a brand is only half of it. The car and everything else comes first into play.

Will the livery of the cars change accordingly?

Next season it's going to be black and gold like the traditional Team Lotus colors, I see it as a natural evolution for team to change color but if we come across a sponsor that is willing to part money to change our color, I don't see why not.

When Lotus F1 first started out, it was said that as time goes on there will be more Malaysians involved in the team? What's the percentage of Malaysians currently working in the team?

For now it stands at 20% but without a doubt it will increase as we go through the season.

Are there plans to relocate the Lotus F1 headquarters to Malaysia?

No, currently we're staying put in England.

Lastly, on which flight will Richard Branson serve guests in a skirt? Can we get a picture?

Richard won't give up until the last race of the season but currently the plans are for him to serve on the London - KL flight. We are planning to make it a charity flight for everybody and also to invite the media along to watch, it will be great.

Anything to say?

It has been a fantastic season and I think we have done Malaysians proud with no money or support from the government. I think we have proven ourselves to be highly capable at the world stage of Motorsport which is Formula 1.

Attachments

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Perodua Alza owners,

Greetings from Lokatoo. We are here to give you updates on your Lokatoo GPS navigator and also to help you with any issues you may encounter. Please feel free to ask us any questions you may have regarding your Lokatoo usage.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Latest map version 3.26 is now available for downloading from our website for...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience